PDA

View Full Version : Apache gunworks barrel

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

olddav
05-20-2015, 07:02 PM
Wasn't speaking of Jim in perticular or in general, was only speaking of my lack of patience when seeking products or services. Of course I only shoot hunting rifles so I don't need the very best. Hats off to the talented people here who desire/require the best barrels avalilable.

Apache
05-20-2015, 07:19 PM
Bigeclipse, not a problem at all......like I said, it (not you) got under my skin a little. I was really out of line. I can understand in this day and age why there is distrust...... and I'm a little short tempered at times.....ask any of the old timers that are left around here and they'll tell you.

I'm one of the primary reasons there is no discussion of politics allowed on this forum. It's a wonder Jim never banned me. He had plenty of reasons to.

I do really appreciate the support guys.

One thing everyone needs to know though......I'm not a gunsmith. I just build barrels. Fred of Sharp Shooter Supply is a real gunsmith, not me. I do my own gunsmithing on my own rifles but not for customers. I do know how to do a great deal of those things, but I only do them on my own rifles.

I build the best barrels I can possibly build, that's it. I will soon start making some special barrel nuts for Remingtons, but that's it. Barrels for Savage, Remington, Marlin, AR-15 and AR-10's and a few others every once in a while. No gunsmithing. You want the best Savage gun smith.....call Fred. He's the best - - - by far IMO.

earl39
05-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Ok fellas stop trying to make the Cajun mad or at least wait till he gets past my barrel. For those of you that do not know Cajuns tend to throw things when they get mad. Please Jim, don't throw my barrel. They also use words that have no translation. Yes i have worked with a few.

fgw_in_fla
05-20-2015, 08:39 PM
Ok fellas stop trying to make the Cajun mad or at least wait till he gets past my barrel. For those of you that do not know Cajuns tend to throw things when they get mad. Please Jim, don't throw my barrel. They also use words that have no translation. Yes i have worked with a few.

Yeah, I'd be real careful not to get him PO'ed.
I just got my barrel I ordered 14 weeks ago. Although the exterior quality was exemplary he packed it with some kind of bayou mud to get even with me for posting that water pipe barrel.
When I washed it out with the hose a couple crawdads came running out.
Be careful what you say.

Edit:
Man, I don't know Jim.
I washed all the mud & critters out of it and assembled the action, barrel & stock.
Are you sure this barrel will straighten out and shoot under .5 MOA if I load it with 58.5gr of Alliant Red Dot?
I would think for the $480 you charged it should shoot at least .5 or less:

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/Real%20badarrel%20001.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/fgwinfla/media/Real%20badarrel%20001.jpg.html)

ger42
05-20-2015, 09:16 PM
Remembering back when I emailed Jim about delivery time when purchasing my barrel he replied back a lot would depend when he could get the blank. I was buying a 223 AI 1 X 7 twist.

upSLIDEdown
05-20-2015, 09:23 PM
Man, I don't know Jim.
I washed all the mud & critters out of it and assembled the action, barrel & stock.
Are you sure this barrel will straighten out and shoot under .5 MOA if I load it with 58.5gr of Alliant Red Dot?

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/Real%20badarrel%20001.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/fgwinfla/media/Real%20badarrel%20001.jpg.html)

:noidea: Looks fine to me.

BarrelNuts
05-20-2015, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I'd be real careful not to get him PO'ed.
I just got my barrel I ordered 14 weeks ago. Although the exterior quality was exemplary he packed it with some kind of bayou mud to get even with me for posting that water pipe barrel.
When I washed it out with the hose a couple crawdads came running out.
Be careful what you say.

Edit:
Man, I don't know Jim.

I really like that helical micro-fluting you have on that barrel too... and that is a really unique barrel nut!

fgw_in_fla
05-20-2015, 09:56 PM
One of Jim's Custom Creations. Specially made for bird hunting.
I can lay flat on the ground and still get a good upward blast.

Gotta give the 'ol boy credit for coming up with it. He told me its a one of a kind barrel he made specially for me.

DrThunder88
05-21-2015, 04:57 AM
With a different muzzle device you could select whether you want a flat spray, stream, or gentle shower.

fgw_in_fla
05-21-2015, 06:39 AM
I'm starting to wonder how much more of these postings Jim will take before he tells us all to go pound it.

On a lighter note, yesterday I rec'd one of Jim's quality pipes - made with loving care - a 30.06, 24" for my new Beloved '06 Project - Take 2.
I prepped it & gave it a coat of matte black Aluma Hyde.
He does some pretty impressive work. I spec'ed what I wanted and rec'd exactly what I was expecting.
As soon as it's all assembled I'll see about getting a couple photos up.

DrThunder88
05-21-2015, 07:12 AM
Indeed. I accidentally bought one of his .450 Bushmaster barrels off eBay, and it's very nice!

Edit: I am pleased to report that I got the shipping notification yesterday, which is quite close to the estimate. Now the anticipation is really building!

Dennis
05-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Jim (Apache) is like everyone else who has a great repretation. Once that name and quality gets out there, you have more work than you can handle.

People, just be patient, I know the situation he is in. I don't even think he expected his business it to take off like it has.

Dennis

fgw_in_fla
05-24-2015, 03:20 PM
We know that, Dennis.
But we just can't help breaking the guys pomegranates.

I just got a new 30.06 pipe from him. Pretty impressive and really can't wait to try it out. Unfortunately, I have to babysit the 'lil woman. She just had heart surgery on Wednesday last week.
Personally, I think she's fine, just playing it out. Got me doing laundry, cooking, house chores of a very unmanly nature.

I'd rather be out making holes in stuff with my new toys.

DrThunder88
05-24-2015, 03:41 PM
I got it yesterday. Talk about fast! It looks fantastic. Now it's up to me to get it blasted, installed, and start blasting away!

missed
05-24-2015, 04:15 PM
I got it yesterday. Talk about fast! It looks fantastic. Now it's up to me to get it blasted, installed, and start blasting away!
Just rub it in.....

DrThunder88
05-24-2015, 08:42 PM
Did I mention how clean the machining is on the shank and muzzle threads? It sure is worthy of admiration. I'm sure you would be admiring it too...if you had your barrel!

J/K! It also looks like bead blasting this is going to be a pain in the hindquarters, so I'll probably forgo that.

missed
05-24-2015, 09:36 PM
Did I mention how clean the machining is on the shank and muzzle threads? It sure is worthy of admiration. I'm sure you would be admiring it too...if you had your barrel!

J/K! It also looks like bead blasting this is going to be a pain in the hindquarters, so I'll probably forgo that.
The bead blasting isn't too bad! I force the muzzle against a pine block with a slight recess in it against the side of my cabinet and the shank is in a pine block on the other side.

My lathe is kinda a pain in the ass to chamber on as the head stock is 40". I don't have time plus, waiting on a blank, reamer, and I need to fix my tail stock also.....

bootsmcguire
05-24-2015, 11:57 PM
Jim has made me numerous barrels thus far, and has even been more than tolerable in dealing with me and my "custom creations" and off the wall stuff that I have come up with (many of which have not been posted here yet, due to me wanting to test them further before unveiling). That said, all have been of excellent quality (I am a machinist myself so I can recognize) and all have been shooters.

I am very happy with the 444 Marlin Barrel he built for me to use on my Striker for Iowa Deer Hunting. It shoots great and hits those deer like the hammer of Thor.

I really need to get the barrel I have sitting here down to Jim for my next off the wall experiment so he can pattern from it. I better quit dragging my feet and go the USPS or else y'all are going to have him so busy I'll never see it. ;)

Apache
05-25-2015, 11:48 PM
Dennis is right......I was NOT expecting my business to grow this fast. Not anywhere near this fast! LOL! :p

Thanks for all your support guys!

dKilla
06-02-2015, 12:45 AM
I had a similar private email exchange with Jim earlier this year when I grew impatient waiting for the first barrel that I'd ever ordered from him. The wait time exceeded the original quote significantly but I know that Jim did everything in his power to get me that barrel as quickly as possible with the level of precision and expertise that he puts into each piece of his work. What I received is the finest, most accurate barrel that I've ever owned. I'm not a guy that ever expected to be able to afford a custom rifle.

Clearly, the price cannot be beaten for this level of craftsmanship, period. Best group so far is about .25" and I'm still testing powders.

If Jim will have me as a customer in the future, I'd love to order another...in fact, I think I already know what I'd like.