PDA

View Full Version : Apache gunworks barrel

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

missed
05-18-2015, 03:52 PM
You wanna borrow my pipe barrel? I'm not using it until the cooler weather when the hogs return.
Send it! Its the ftr barrel I'm waiting for. The stubby is on the rifle right now

fgw_in_fla
05-18-2015, 04:01 PM
Since it's 3/4" galvanized steel it'll work fine with 12ga / 3" 00 buck or slugs. Too short for anything under #4 shot.

The funny thing is when I stuck that piece of pipe in the receiver it actually will thread in. The threads on the receiver may not be usable after its removed but it will thread in. Just use lots & lots of Loctite.

romad97
05-18-2015, 04:50 PM
Well I for one am glad that we have a guy like Jim who offers his services to this forum. I have my first barrel on order with him and he was more than patient and helpful with me on my purchase. I don't care if the wait is a little long. In the end I am getting a barrel at half the cost of most big name barrels. I am just a working class guy who doesn't have a lot of expendable cash. I love hunting and shooting and Jim has allowed me the opportunity to build a rifle that would have otherwise taken much longer had I had to save up enough cash to buy a much more expensive barrel.

fgw_in_fla
05-18-2015, 04:56 PM
That's the cool thing about Jim. He'll sell you what you can afford at the time.
Like that pipe barrel I got.

All kidding aside, I've had several dealings with him & he's been aces to do business with. There have been occasions where I've had to wait until he got home from his favorite fishing hole but he's good to go.

Buy with confidence here.

And don't forget to specify if you want rigid galvanized, black iron, PVC or CPVC.

scooterf79
05-18-2015, 05:08 PM
Ill gladly wait for him, the dealings Ive had and do have with him have been excellent!
Hey Jim, any of those guys that want refunds, let me know and Ill buy a barrel youve already finished, it would make good trade on a pipe barrel Im interested in!
Scooter

Apache
05-18-2015, 06:51 PM
Well.....really I owe everyone an apology. It got under my skin a little bit because I'm so loaded with work. Not everyone is familiar with what, why or how I do things. So there is bound to be some mistrust and impatience.

My apologies to all.

But if you do want a refund, I'll be glad to give it anyone that doesn't want to wait. Just email me. No hard feelings.

Now, I'll get back to work and probably won't be around much again.

Thanks to y'all for understanding and for your patience.

Jim

fgw_in_fla
05-18-2015, 07:25 PM
That's a little out of character for you Jim.

I liked it better when you would tell everyone to suck an egg if they didn't want to wait.

Your getting soft in your old age, son.

Take some time off and enjoy life a little. Spend some money. Have a walk thru the woods.

missed
05-18-2015, 07:27 PM
That's a little out of character for you Jim.

I liked it better when you would tell everyone to suck an egg if they didn't want to wait.

Your getting soft in your old age, son.

Take some time off and enjoy life a little. Spend some money. Have a walk thru the woods.
That's funny! I'm good with the wait. The good guys are busy.

snowgetter1
05-18-2015, 11:39 PM
Great barrels at a great price well worth the wait.

DrThunder88
05-19-2015, 07:12 AM
The lesson is clear: I should have jumped on the boat sooner! As it stands, I am content to continue waiting. That said, in my mind my barrel and my suppressor's tax stamp are racing each other!

FW Conch
05-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Back in 2008, I had a barrel built by ER Shaw, and it took 4 months. So Jim is not so far out of line.

I really want one of his barrels, but I don't have the opportunity to use the ones I have now enough, and I need another chambering like a hole in the head ... But, what does need have to do with it :-)

I will dream it, and it will happen :-)

Jim, just keep doing it Your Way! :-)

Dewey7271
05-19-2015, 02:46 PM
Funny this came up. I sent Jim a "thank you" email on a barrel he had made me (a 250 AI) a while back telling him how well it was shooting and how much I liked it. In the email I couldn't remember how many he had made up for me. 4? 5? dunno. I can say this, they all shoot. Every one. If it matters, I have another on order with him right now. Sure, I'd love to play with it soon but I realize he does such good stuff that there's a wait. I can live with that. Maybe order two next time so I have something else to mess with in the wait time. LOL. (couldn't help myself there)
He's a good guy doing good stuff at a reasonable price. Good enough I sent a couple buddies to him to get barrels. (Knew I shouldn't have gotten those jokers involved, they always screw things up, must be that's why the wait?)
Sorry for the long post. When you get your barrels, you're going to like them.

Bigeclipse
05-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Well.....really I owe everyone an apology. It got under my skin a little bit because I'm so loaded with work. Not everyone is familiar with what, why or how I do things. So there is bound to be some mistrust and impatience.

My apologies to all.

But if you do want a refund, I'll be glad to give it anyone that doesn't want to wait. Just email me. No hard feelings.

Now, I'll get back to work and probably won't be around much again.

Thanks to y'all for understanding and for your patience.

Jim

Jim, I apologize as I am the original poster. I did not mean to make this thread as a thread to attack you. Definitely not. I was just trying to get an idea if others had received theirs yet. What you posted was kind of what I was getting at. it is hard to trust people this day and age. From everything I have read, you are an outstanding gunsmith and I am certainly looking forward to my barrel and NO I DO NOT WANT A REFUND haha. If you read my posts in this thread, I state "if the barrel shoots decent then it is certainly worth the wait at this price point." Never did I once bad mouth you or your work so again I apologize if you think I created this thread to attack you. not at all. I was mainly just trying to get an idea if others started receiving theirs yet.

ger42
05-19-2015, 06:00 PM
I waited for my .223 AI and I am happy I did. He messed up some on the timing of my order so he sent me a SS barrel no charge for the up grade. If I had the money I'd build another rifle and order the barrel from him.

upSLIDEdown
05-19-2015, 06:39 PM
It seems like every few months one of these posts pops up. Someone waiting for a barrel wants to know how long Jim usually takes, and thread turns into page after page of people that have barrels by Jim that all shoot lights out, and say it's worth the wait. I wonder if we could consolidate it all into one thread, and then Jim could send the link to anyone that's planning to order a barrel from him, so they'll know that yes, there may be a little bit of a wait, but Jim, and everyone else that shoots his barrels stand behind him 110%. lol

For the record, I've got 2 from him, and plan to order a 3rd here shortly to make my 308 shorter and fatter, and threaded. :devilish:

The Creedmoor barrel I have from him was actually built on a cheaper blank, not an Excalibur, and shoots LIGHTS OUT. Best group I've shot to date was with this barrel.

.197" at 100yds
5 shots

http://i62.tinypic.com/2vumrv9.jpg

foxx
05-19-2015, 08:52 PM
Yeah, what the heck is Jim apologizing for????

What part of that little tirade wasn't true, from the heart and well said????

I encourage everyone to visit his site and read his story. Then try one of his "low end" barrels and judge for yourself if the next one isn't worth the wait.

Jim's the man. Don't worry about him, his service or his products.

fgw_in_fla
05-19-2015, 09:20 PM
Back in 2008, I had a barrel built by ER Shaw, and it took 4 months. So Jim is not so far out of line.

I really want one of his barrels, but I don't have the opportunity to use the ones I have now enough, and I need another chambering like a hole in the head ... But, what does need have to do with it :-)

I will dream it, and it will happen :-)

Jim, just keep doing it Your Way! :-)

I feel better now. I thought maybe I was the only guy to get reamed by Shaw. The 300 Win Mag I just built - with an E.R. Shaw pipe - looks like a copper mine inside after 20 rounds.
I spent 3 hours with a bore mop, a tube of valve grinding compound, a can of polishing compound and some jewelers rouge making it happy.

The barrel would collect so much copper, accuracy would fall off after 20 - 25 rounds. I poured 10% ammonia thru it and had a puddle of purple spooge on the floor.
Never again.
Give me one of Jim's black iron water pipes any day. Even the galvanized pipe, er, I mean barrel is better than that Shaw.

Steel Rain
05-19-2015, 11:19 PM
February 1 is when I ordered mine I believe. It's my first custom barrel and I've read enough to know that unless you have the skill and the tools then you have to wait. I'm thinking mine will be here soon because he has already closed his next round of orders. Can't wait to screw it on and shoot.

olddav
05-20-2015, 06:32 PM
I do not have the patience to wait for anything (film, reloading supplies, dark room chems, barrels, etc...), so sending a fire arm to a gunsmith does not appeal to me. Living within this limitation keeps me and everyone around me happier.

upSLIDEdown
05-20-2015, 06:35 PM
I do not have the patience to wait for anything (film, reloading supplies, dark room chems, barrels, etc...), so sending a fire arm to a gunsmith does not appeal to me. Living within this limitation keeps me and everyone around me happier.

Wait... what? No one is sending him a firearm. They're paying for a barrel, waiting for it to be chambered/turned, and sent to the them. Then they are installing it themselves, or worst case, taking it to a competent gunsmith local to them for installation.