PDA

View Full Version : What should I use to build out the grip on a stock?

dakinejb
05-14-2015, 05:06 PM
I have a basic plastic stock. It shoots good enough for me but the grip is a little to small for me. I am planning on adding something to fill it out about 1/2-3/4 an inch. what should I use.I have heard mouse pads, pipe insulator, and yoga mats. I was thinking 550 cord followed by gaffer tape. What have you all used that worked well? also I have seen some put a grippy looking texture to both the grip and for-end. What is that is is a spray or something more complicated?

Thanks

BarrelNuts
05-15-2015, 10:31 AM
if you plan on painting it afterwards I've seen guys use bondo to good effect. Not sure on the grippy look; maybe just skateboard tape?

Stu
05-18-2015, 06:46 PM
If you're gonna paint after, Bondo works well . Then use Rustoleum American accents stone paint for a grippy texture. Just tape off where ya don't want grip, spray, then after it dries spray with your final color or colors. works pretty well for me.

Kkern
05-19-2015, 07:02 AM
You might want to check this out. It is a "clingy" wrap that sticks to itself and not the surface of whatever it is your wrapping. I have used it myself to make some grips a little fuller and to camo various weapons and even scopes. The company is located on Florida and have given me great service and fast delivery.

http://www.tapebrothers.com/Camouflage-Gun-Wrap-s/343.htm

DrThunder88
05-19-2015, 07:42 AM
Bondo is good. It's easy to shape and quick to dry. For added strength, you could lay up a layer or two of fiberglass over the filler, but it probably would not be needed.

Plunkin
05-20-2015, 06:52 PM
I would go with whatever you are familiar with, be it Bondo, Fiberglass, epoxy, wood, or whatever. I will say that gaff tape will wear out but hey at least it wont be permanent! If you find something you really like you can always go back with something more sturdy later.