PDA

View Full Version : build 6 br or buy in 12 lrpv

Ranger3
05-13-2015, 10:57 PM
Not sure where to start, but I'm sure someone has been down this path before. I'm looking for max accuracy, but not a built custom gun. What are anyone's thought on this? Which is most likely to perform? Looking at a Criterion or Mcgowen on either an old flatbed action or build on a new FCP action VS. a 12 lrpv in 6 br. HELP

yobuck
05-14-2015, 08:23 AM
If i were looking for max accuracy as in winning a relay at a benchrest match, id be (having) a custom gun built
then find a good shooter to shoot it. lol

Robinhood
05-14-2015, 08:42 AM
Go with the LRPV. When you have worn that barrel out get a Bartlein or Krieger. You could also sell the Savage barrel to use the funds towards the custom barrel. You might also consider the 12 F/Class if you like that type of shooting or the 12 Bench Rest.

Ranger3
05-14-2015, 08:47 AM
I understand the go with the LRPV, already have one in 22-250, it shoots very well with a variety of bullets. My concern is that the 26" barrel will limit my velocity too much. Also will a Shilen, etc. outdo the Savage barrel. The gun will be used primarily as a backup for Prairie dogs and then for longer range 300-800 target shooting. I doubt that I'll shoot any matches with it other than a local varmint match thing.

Ranger3
05-14-2015, 08:48 AM
Also are there any negatives with the old Flatback action I'm talking about. The negative with the FCP-SR is the long magazine to shoot from the bench.

jonbearman
05-15-2015, 08:38 AM
The smartest way to get what you want is to buy it. Then I would remove the new barrel and sell it and get an aftermarket like shilen, criterion, mcgowen, pac-nor and on and on. The aftermarket barrels of good quality will outshoot anything savage can make. If you looked down a savage barrel and then a mcgowen for instance the savage would look like a 6 year old rifled it.

rjtfroggy
05-15-2015, 04:56 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with the last poster, I have a couple of factory Savage barrels that are honest .3 shooters reguardless of how they look down the bore. I also have a few different custom barrels that are no better than the stock ones, and they are either select or match grade with lots of load work up.
The only one that is better by far is a Criterian 243 match bull barrel that is a .165 average size group that is on a PTA with custom stock( Shehane $$$ ) with Kelby bases and rings and a T36 Weaver. Unless you are willing to spend $3000.00 on a Savage just buy the LRP or build what you want and shoot to your hearts content or the barrel wears out then change.

Jamie
05-15-2015, 05:20 PM
Get what you really want, a LRPV with an aftermarket barrel. I bought mine as a 22-250 Rem and spun on a 30" bull Brux in 6x47 Lapua. Bad groups are .2s good ones are zeros.

Ranger3
05-15-2015, 11:38 PM
Thanks Jamie and RJTFROGGY, I think both of your comments are right on and I find them helpful. My budget is $1600 give or take a couple of bucks. My concern at this point is what will shoot the best. My 22-250 LRPV is good, not like my Tikka's, but at 1/2 or better MOA on enough loads that I can consistently hit Prairie Dogs at 400+ yds no matter what position they're taking. My current build using a Criterion has been more than elusive in getting satisfactory groups. If I build it will most likely be Shilen or McGowen. If I were just a bit further down the road with my 220 swift in 700 Rem, I would remage barrel that, it's on an HS precision and the trigger is really sweet. But Not sure I want to interrupt that sweet shooting in the .25's rifle just yet. I think the advice on the LRPV rebarreled is probably the best way for likely best accuracy well. Most of the members in my rifle club shoot Shilen's, Kriegers or Hart's. Unfortunately, I probably have a bit of emotional attachment to the idea of building another rifle.

acemisser
05-16-2015, 06:17 AM
i have to agree with FROGGY as well....

homefrontsniper
05-16-2015, 06:37 PM
^^^Yep^^^

Stockrex
05-17-2015, 07:48 AM
Smart: el cheapo savage action plus cbi barrel to match bullet
Total outlay 600$,

Lrpv: $900 then upgrade barrel plus $ 350

Don't do what I ended up with both lrpv and a custom build.

All will shoot small groups.

Nor Cal Mikie
05-17-2015, 09:32 AM
You already have a LRPV in 22-250? There's your build platform right there!! Save the $$ for down the road. Pop for a Shilen, Pac Nor, etc. barrel in 6 BR with a no turn neck and short throat so you can chase the lands as it wears.
Swap barrels or have it done for you and get bored real fast with the accuracy it produces. Most rounds will end up in the same hole, or REAL CLOSE!!
Custom (BIG $$) build would be nice but, you don't have to spend big bucks to produce bug holes! You can never have too many Savage rigs?? (I think I have 5 or 6 so far. I'd have to check) Once you start building, my guess is, it won't be too long before you get a few more. It's addicting!!

jonbearman
05-17-2015, 03:47 PM
Here is my story, I bought a f-class in 308 win and after chasing the holy grail of powder/bullet combo I ended up replacing the barrel and the stock as it just didn't ride in the bags worth a darned. I let a friend who won the nationals run it for a few days and the conclusion was the new barrel from savage wasn't very good. So if I had just waited and bought a action,barrel,trigger and trigger guard along with a stock that worked I actually would have saved money. My attitude if a barrel hasn't proved itself in a couple hundred rounds then get a criterion or pac-nor or shilen pre fit and you are further ahead as you are not wasting components. That's my story and I am sticking to it. I had one factory barrel that shot good and am screwing around with another right now. If it doesn't behave it goes.

Ranger3
05-18-2015, 06:03 PM
Well, I did order brass, dies, etc., Also a headspace gauge I have a build on a Savage Long action 260, CBI barrel Sav 2 Trigger that has been giving me fits. I only shoot that until about Mid June, then go to my varmint rigs, including the 22-250 LRPV. I may use this build and swap barrels in mid season, the long action will give me fits but maybe I can figure out a way around it. So would it not be fore that., I think I would do another build. I'm deciding tomorrow one way or another. Thanks for all the great input. More input is also welcome.