PDA

View Full Version : New 280 AI project

Crossfire
05-13-2015, 11:18 AM
I'm open to most any long action donor gun in the current Savage catalog. In order to make this as simple as possible, I'd like to simply swap out a magnum contour, or medium varmint barrel. So, 30 06, 270 & 25 06 make the most sense. I like the stainless finish but it's not a requirement. If I have any desire to upgrade to an aftermarket stock I know I begin to run into big problems. So, with that restriction, how good is the accustock? Word on the street is that it's just OK. Will I be able to widen an accustock barrel channel?

Thoughts or guidance appreciated

stomp442
05-13-2015, 12:33 PM
Should be able to widen it just fine but it gets pretty thin. Accustock or not the fore end will flex quite a bit so you need to hog out the channel a little more than you normally would. I would definitely recommend an aftermarket stock and Boyds should have you covered.

Redandwhite_72
05-13-2015, 01:14 PM
For my 280AI, I started with a 110 in 30.06. I got a Brux 26" varmint contour from Sinarms. Mounted it all in a Boyds pro varmint stock.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/13/743685679b8501df2cd90dcbcb769ed0.jpg

jonbearman
05-13-2015, 02:37 PM
What I would do is stop and change directions. I would just buy a new or used receiver off here and order a new barrel and nut with recoil lug. Get the boyds pro varmint which is cheap price wise and sav-2 trigger and egw rail to mount your scope on. Then get a good scope with burris signature zee rings and your done without spending a lot for a new donor rifle.

BarrelNuts
05-13-2015, 03:49 PM
+1 with jonbearman

You won't necessarily run into problems with aftermarket stocks unless you get a bottom bolt release long action... those seem to be the hardest to find. You can usually find a model 110 on armslist or other online auction or local pawn shops for $300; that will provide the donor action on the cheaps. You can go with a litany of barrel options; but I will say from personal experience that Jim at NSS (one of the vendors listed here) is a wealth of information and if you tell him how you plan on using the rifle he can help pick the right tube; he stocks both shilen and criterion and all the tools you need to do the swap and fair prices. I don't want to sound like an advertiser for them; I was just extremely pleased with their service. My .260 build with B&C stock, shilen sel. match barrel, EGW base, new nut/lug, donor rifle, duracoat, AND tools came in just over $1,100 (without glass).

natesatt
05-14-2015, 09:58 AM
I would also recommend you get a used action. I was able to get one for $170 (after selling the scope and barrel) off of a FB group from a guy who was wanting to dump one. My Pro varmint stock should ship any day now...it feels like Christmas!

natesatt
05-14-2015, 10:05 AM
BTW, I'd look for a used 110, 111, etc. with a top bolt release. Also, McGowen has a stainless prefit on their outlet that you'd have in a week. That's what I'd order. My current build is a McGowen, but in 7-08.

jonbearman
05-14-2015, 11:27 PM
You might consider x-caliber barrels as they shoot really well. I have a friend who shoots them and is more than happy with them and apache gun works use's their blanks.

Crossfire
06-17-2015, 10:41 AM
The project is mostly order now, post components are due to roll in around August. Thanks jonbearman I have an x caliber barrel on order. And Ross Schuler is making my brake. Can't wait!
my biggest problem now is converting the bolt from a 300wm to the 280 AI. I'd like to get a complete bolt if only I could find one. If not I have to learn how to re work the one that comes with the gun. I know I'll need a new bolt head but I believe there are several other parts I'll need too. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Redandwhite_72
06-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Crossfire, pm sent