PDA

View Full Version : Bit by the bug...

BarrelNuts
05-12-2015, 02:13 PM
So the first build is all but done; just waiting on the glass to show up. Was perusing and found another potential donor on the cheaps... LA side bolt release blind mag currently in 7mm Rem Mag.

With the litany of chassis pictures floating around here have decided to go that route with the stock if this happens... leaning towards the XLR Element

What I need help with is caliber choice... already have a .25-06 and .260... so I've got the small/mid covered; looking for a boomer. So the question becomes stick with the 7mag or bump to a 300 win mag.

I would like to leave it to those two because even though I do hand load... price of components and availability of different projectiles to play with is a concern.

Planned use is primarily LR target to/past 1000

LongRange
05-12-2015, 03:02 PM
the 300wm if i had to chose between the 2...i can load a 300 down to a 7mm.

rjtfroggy
05-12-2015, 04:57 PM
BarrelNuts why not just give the 7 mag a chance at what you want to try? Foolish question when speaking swapping barrels but why spend the $$$ when you might just be pleasantly satisfied with what you have? It will do what you want.

darkker
05-12-2015, 05:45 PM
The 7mm Mag has a very LONG infamous history of random pressure excursions, so I vote the 300

BarrelNuts
05-12-2015, 05:54 PM
BarrelNuts why not just give the 7 mag a chance at what you want to try? Foolish question when speaking swapping barrels but why spend the $$$ when you might just be pleasantly satisfied with what you have? It will do what you want.

Froggy...

Very true, however this is a pretty old "pawn shop special"... not sure if the barrel is going to be worth anything or not; normally my experience is that the folks that sell guns to pawn shops at a price that allows them to re-sell them at $200 to $250 aren't taking care of the barrel. Plus generally I've found (especially running heavier loads) that if you are going to be firing more than a few shots the factory sporter contour barrel tends to heat up rather rapidly and impact accuracy.

rjtfroggy
05-13-2015, 07:07 AM
You never said it was a sporter barrel, and that alone says change it to whatever cal. you choose.
I have 2 sporter barrels both model 11 put into Boyd's thumbhole stocks. One is a 22-250 that hasn't seen day light in 15 years or more has about 150 rounds through it, the other is a 243 that hasn't been out in at least 8 years and that gun has about 225 rounds and 5 deer to it's credit. They stay with the original barrels for the weight only, every thing else I own is either varmint or bull and heavy.
Around here an awful lot of the pawn shop guns are there because the prior owners are in dire need of cash to make bill payments,economy still hasn't caught up to the so called recovery.

BarrelNuts
05-13-2015, 11:44 AM
You never said it was a sporter barrel, and that alone says change it to whatever cal. you choose.
I have 2 sporter barrels both model 11 put into Boyd's thumbhole stocks. One is a 22-250 that hasn't seen day light in 15 years or more has about 150 rounds through it, the other is a 243 that hasn't been out in at least 8 years and that gun has about 225 rounds and 5 deer to it's credit. They stay with the original barrels for the weight only, every thing else I own is either varmint or bull and heavy.
Around here an awful lot of the pawn shop guns are there because the prior owners are in dire need of cash to make bill payments,economy still hasn't caught up to the so called recovery.

I currently have my .25-06 in the factory original sporter... will probably be re-barreling in the sav. magnum contour before long just to add a bit of length and heft to it since it does heat up rather rapidly. I can put three touching out of a 5 shot string; if they are shot with any kind of speed the last two are all over the place. Like you the only reason it's still the sporter is because I do nothing but hunting with it and it shoots minute of deer to 300 all day long.

BarrelNuts
06-08-2015, 02:53 PM
So this thread kinda died out for a while... my original donor rifle deal fell through but just found another, actually better, deal... so we are back on. Thinking of going this route; let me know if anyone sees anything that isn't going to work out:

Model 110 top/side bolt release currently in '06
Swapping for magnum bolt face
Barrel swap to .300 win; going with 28" bull... still sorting through brand options (love my Shilen but considering CBI and McGowan as well)
XLR Tactical Evolution chassis
Optics TBD... have a Viper PST on my .260 which I'm working on putting through the paces; will likely purchase again
Vortex PMR rings
EGW 20 MOA rail

rbp75503
06-09-2015, 08:39 AM
What's the action bolt spacing on the model 110? Is it a true long action or intermediate action? If it is 4.522" it will be a custom milled chassis from XLR.