View Full Version : What Happened With This Round?

Pages : 1 [2]

wingspar
05-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Out of curiosity. Do they have their own headstamp or is this remanufactured ammo?

This was remanufactured ammo. Most of the ammo I buy from FM is remanufactured ammo, but I do have some new 9mm and in one box there are two head stamps. FH & FM. Don’t know who makes that brass. I don’t think Freedom Munitions makes their own brass, but I could be wrong. The FM head stamp could be Freedom Munitions.

Freedom Munitions is sending me a return shipping label and will be replacing the ammo.

sixonetonoffun
05-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Good to hear!

DanSavage
05-13-2015, 09:50 PM
In the last picture the tip is also damaged,, It looks like the bullet was not properly aligned as it was seated and the base of the bullet caught the edge of the neck. Must have been awfully miss aligned considering it's most likely a boat tail 168 grain A-max. With those mass producing loading machines every round should be visually inspected. There is no such thing as "perfect" in this world,, I've had a box of Federal Fusion 165's once in .308 that had a fair bit of bullet copper shavings all the way around the end of the neck area.

I've always wondered how factory ammo has no chamfer at the neck yet the bullets don't seem to be scratched or affected on some of the one's I've pulled including the famous Gold Medal Match.

wingspar
05-14-2015, 12:37 AM
The 168 grain A-Max bullets are a boat tail round. I’m using them for my reloads, which by the way I’m very new at. In fact, I just loaded my first rounds ever just today, and I used the same 168 grain A-Max bullets these Freedom Munitions used. I just looked, and none of my bullets have any damage at the tip, and I’m using a Lee Loader. If you know what those are, you pound the bullet into the case, and it’s the tip that gets pounded on. The tips were damaged on most of the Freedom Munition rounds from that box.

I’ve seen a photo tour of Freedom Munitions, and they do a lot of hands in inspection, but I doubt they can look at every one. Just exactly what happened with these is anyones guess. Many seem to agree it occurred at the seating die, but it’s all speculation. I doubt I’ll ever hear what happened from Freedom Munitions. Their machines probably need to be calibrated every once in a while, and these might have just slipped thru during that process. That’s pure speculation on my part.