PDA

View Full Version : Current Production WSM rifles

Tarheelpwr
05-11-2015, 08:47 AM
Hi,

I'm looking to pick up a new WSM action, but I want a CRF. I called Savage today and they said they went back to push feed for their WSM cartridges. Has anyone picked up a WSM recently and can confirm or deny the move back to push feed? That seems to go against what I've been reading. It also goes against what Savage told me last time I called them. Unfortunately, no one locally carries WSM rounds.

Chris

WinnieTheBoom
05-11-2015, 08:53 AM
Any reason for wanting a WSM specifically? I would recommend a normal magnum caliber unless you're going to be reloading yourself.

Tarheelpwr
05-11-2015, 09:08 AM
I'm building a LW backpack rifle, so the pound in weight savings is worth it. I will be hand loading.

darkker
05-11-2015, 10:50 AM
Hi,

1) I'm looking to pick up a new WSM action, but I want a CRF. I called Savage today and they said they went back to push feed for their WSM cartridges.
2) Has anyone picked up a WSM recently and can confirm or deny the move back to push feed?
3) That seems to go against what I've been reading. It also goes against what Savage told me last time I called them.
4) Unfortunately, no one locally carries WSM rounds.
Chris

1) I have an early one, CRF is a poor terminology for what it is on mine. More like the Original ruger and a CRP :cool:
2) Sorry, no
3) Not sure what you are reading, but remember that Savage has recently been sold. So what they "planned" to do, and what they "will" be doing may not be the same thing.
4) If you are reloading, what does the ammo have to do with the line of questioning??

Tarheelpwr
05-11-2015, 10:55 AM
1) I have an early one, CRF is a poor terminology for what it is on mine. More like the Original ruger and a CRP :cool:
2) Sorry, no
3) Not sure what you are reading, but remember that Savage has recently been sold. So what they "planned" to do, and what they "will" be doing may not be the same thing.
4) If you are reloading, what does the ammo have to do with the line of questioning??

#4 was not worded correctly. No one carries Savage rifles chambered in WSM, so I can't just go look at one before I buy. I'll have to "special order" the rifle.

sharpshooter
05-11-2015, 12:30 PM
The WSM's have been push feed since they come out with the new centerfeed magazines.(2008) It is also the heavy magnum bolt head, with 9/16" lugs.
When the WSM's originally came out, there was a feeding problem with a stagger feed magazine and the push feed bolt head, allowing the cartridges to pop completely out of the magazine and out of the receiver. The CRF bolt head captured the cartridge rim as it popped up from the magazine, preventing this. Once they went to the centerfeed style magazine, the cartridges no longer wanted to pop out before they entered the chamber, so it was back to push feed.

Tarheelpwr
05-11-2015, 01:02 PM
The WSM's have been push feed since they come out with the new centerfeed magazines.(2008) It is also the heavy magnum bolt head, with 9/16" lugs.
When the WSM's originally came out, there was a feeding problem with a stagger feed magazine and the push feed bolt head, allowing the cartridges to pop completely out of the magazine and out of the receiver. The CRF bolt head captured the cartridge rim as it popped up from the magazine, preventing this. Once they went to the centerfeed style magazine, the cartridges no longer wanted to pop out before they entered the chamber, so it was back to push feed.

Perfect. Thank you very much. I called them back and they confirmed this as well.

What are your thoughts on the push feed for reliability? I'm going with the 300 WSM for a LW rig in bear country. Is it worth trying to locate an old CRF, or should I be fine with a push feed current production? Where would you put your money?

Or, how costly is it to convert a centerfeed push feed to CRF?

Hotolds442
05-11-2015, 01:10 PM
The two WSM rifles I currently own are both centerfeed and do not have the CRF. Both feed perfectly and have not had a single failure to feed. Altering a push feed so that it would function as a controlled round feed action would require machining so that the action can hold the standing ejector that's used with the CRF. Hardly worth the effort IMO.

Tarheelpwr
05-12-2015, 08:02 AM
I'm sorry I thought you wanted a CRF. The static ejector is a CRF, and that's exactly what I have in it. I wasn't trying to rip you off.

I prefer a CRF, but if the new push feed are working as intended, I'm a little more indifferent. No worries. I didn't take offense to the price. That's just a little more than I want to put into a Savage action. For that much, I'd just go with a custom.

emtrescue6
05-12-2015, 10:19 AM
I currently have two WSM's (well a 270WSM and a 25WSSM) and they are both push feed rifles...I have had no issues with either of them feeding properly. Both are centerfeed rifles.