PDA

View Full Version : Accutrigger won't go lower than 2lb 14oz

bani
05-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Trying to adjust the accutrigger on my Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP in 260 remington (19682).

OEM trigger was set to 3lb 3.5oz. I used the adjustment tool to back it out as far as I could. The spring crossbar jams up against a hard stop and won't let me go lower than 2lb 14oz no matter how hard I turn it. If I turn it any harder I'm going to snap the toolhead off.

This is baffling me, because my Savage 10 FCP-K came out of the box with the OEM trigger set at 2lb 6.5oz.

mikein
05-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Do a whole lot (50-60) of dry fires with the trigger set as it is and then test again. If it doesn't drop down, give it another 50-60 dry fires. If that doesn't lower it, you probably have a defective trigger mechanism and need to replace it.

stomp442
05-10-2015, 08:13 PM
Could always trim a coil off the spring too.

Tom Thomson
05-10-2015, 08:25 PM
In messing with my trigger (non-accutrigger) I discovered that the triggeer spring is only part of the load. The pressure of the firing pin spring acts on the sear which in turn puts a load on the trigger. Try checking the pull with the action both cocked and uncocked. In my case the difference was about a pound. tommyt

bani
05-10-2015, 09:13 PM
on further investigation it appears the OEM spring is one of the super heavy ones, with very little adjustment range.

so clipped a couple coils off the spring and bent the end so it was identical to oem and fits in the centering hole, adjusted the trigger down to 1lb 6.5oz, very happy now!

put some snap caps in and absolutely wailed on it slamming the bolt closed, dropped the buttstock on concrete, etc. and no misfires or trigger jams. perfectly safe as far as I can tell.

Hotolds442
05-11-2015, 01:22 PM
Your two rifles came from the factory with different springs, as you found. I ordered 12 of the lighter springs from Savage and installed them on all the rifles I have that didn't already have them.

shooterfpga
05-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Your two rifles came from the factory with different springs, as you found. I ordered 12 of the lighter springs from Savage and installed them on all the rifles I have that didn't already have them.
Whats the lowest you were able to get? I have a 1.5 LE trigger spring but would like to go lower now. I missed a guy selling his red spring target trigger a few months back.

Redandwhite_72
05-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Whats the lowest you were able to get? I have a 1.5 LE trigger spring but would like to go lower now. I missed a guy selling his red spring target trigger a few months back.
Savage has a 6oz sear and trigger spring. I have them on my 280AI. I don't know what my poundage is because I don't have a poundage gauge. However it is really light. I'm sure its more than 6oz because I have to have it screwed all the way out to be able to close the bolt without it tripping. I'm thinking about ordering some in 1.5lbs for my hunting rifles.

bani
05-16-2015, 03:21 PM
took it out to the range. 1lb 6oz is really light, almost too light, lol. but way better than the original 3lb+ !! it's now an absolute pleasure to shoot.

limige
05-18-2015, 11:22 PM
they sell a 1.5# spring you could have swapped out. that's what I did. you want insane pull the spring from your blade and try on the trigger. I shot mine like that for awhile and loved it. put the 1.5# in for safety though