PDA

View Full Version : Powder Scale

Pages : 1 2 [3]

TXCOONDOG
06-02-2015, 06:28 PM
Good info guys. I'll try it when I get it.

GaCop
06-03-2015, 07:34 AM
Good information here. I love this site, I ALWAYS learn something!

BillPa
06-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Good information here. I love this site, I ALWAYS learn something!

Earlier I mentioned lifting the poises instead of bouncing them over the notches especially if its an aluminum beam. This is or can be the result.
http://i59.tinypic.com/rj0hoh.jpg

Knock or wear off the tops of the notches and any sense of accuracy and linearity will be impossible. That paper weight was from an old well used and abused Lyman D5 I bought at a yard sale for five bucks, he was asking 10! :p The only way to compensate for that type of damage is by zeroing a scale at the intended target weight.
For example, if the target weight is 45.5 grs, place the combination of check weights in the pan equal to 45.5, set the poises to 45.5 then zero the scale at that weight. Forget the unweighted zero altogether.

In fact its not a bad procedure to follow to check-verify a beam's accuracy, new, used or abused at a given target weight setting.

Bill

Bill C
06-08-2015, 01:28 AM
I used an RCBS 5-0-2 scale for years. It wasn't until this recently I noticed it wasn't holding zero anymore (ever?), it was taking forever to load large batches, and I hated having to build the bench around reading it at eye level.

I did my homework on the lyman, hornady, and rcbs digital dispensers. I went with the Lyman Gen 6 as it seemed to have the least frills and some common sense features built in. Mainly the auto dispense. I've loaded about 800-900 rounds with no issues to date.

It drops powders like Varget and 4064 to 1/10th of a grain with the "restrictor" installed. With a little tap on the dispensing tube it will drop a kernel at a time and I can quickly achieve the perfect charge. (I tried a ball powder (2460) and it was awful because it sprayed the stuff everywhere). Once a charge is dropped, there is enough time to seat a bullet before the next charge is ready.

That said, talk is cheap and the proof is in the pudding ie the target and chronograph. I haven't had the opportunity to compare digital vs beam scale velocities but will very soon. Accuracy has stayed the same, maybe a slight improvement in that I'm seeing fewer fliers.

I'm going to do a full write-up on this I think.

Bill

MS50
06-08-2015, 08:51 AM
Interesting thread. I use my RCBS balance scale on a Harbor Freight work bench that is pretty level, but the top is not absolutely flat. I have to zero the scale whenever it's moved slightly. As it is, it's within .1 grain from my Hornady digital scale. I never keep it covered and don't disassemble after use. I can see the utility in that.

ger42
06-14-2015, 06:25 PM
He only does scales with the main beam weight and the thin weight on the end toward the pan....rcbs old laymans ect
1-661-346-1199 leave a message and he'll get back to you

I am sending my RCBS 10-10 to him Monday $85 shipping back included.