PDA

View Full Version : polish feed ramp question

azpaleo
05-09-2015, 01:20 AM
Hi,

This is my first post and my first Savage rifle. I recently purchased a 110 HS Precision .300 Win Mag with 24" barrel. I wanted to make the action smoother so I started polishing off all of the blued crud on the bolt body, race, head, everything that looks like factory crud (bluing)........ I noticed that the feed ramp is barely visible and pure black. I polished that area and found to my surprise that the ramp is awful. It looks like a scalloped clam shell in texture. wavy, bumpy, welded lines perpendicular to the movement of the bolt.

What would be the best way to file them (the wavy lines) down so I can sand and buff the ramp and get a nice smooth feed ramp like my Les Baer 1911's.... (without screwing up the ramp angle)?

So far I am amazed at how smooth I have gotten the action without even cleaning or oiling it yet. I'll have to start posting some photos. I don't know what all the fuss is.... (gravel?????????) This is what I was told from Remington guys.......... I guarantee this action WILL ride like it's on glass.....................

Thanks!!

GaCop
05-09-2015, 07:27 AM
I wouldn't try removing too much from the feed ramp, it close to the locking shoulder for one of the bolt lugs. Unlike many semi-auto pistols that need the ramp polished, the factory ramp on a bolt action rifle works as it should with jacketed bullets so if it were me, I'd leave it alone. If it's causing feed problems then I'd talk to a gunsmith to see if metal removal and polishing is feasible.