PDA

View Full Version : School me up on spotting scopes please

powderburnz
05-08-2015, 09:55 PM
I shoot from 100-600yrds. Don't wanna spend more than 200, I know some are laughing. Tell me what some of you guys own and like and why. Thanks.

D.ID
05-08-2015, 11:50 PM
Yep, had to laugh......
I have had a few spotters in that price range and..........the burris landmark 20-60x80 did fine in that price range but I moved on since then. The others......I gave away, could not sell with a clear conscience in other words most the low end is not worth having and you'd be better off taking your current rifle scope combined with the $200 to upgrade the weapon sight to better quality or more magnification.

Edzzed
05-09-2015, 01:31 AM
Here is a spotting scope http://www.harborfreight.com/20-60-x-60mm-spotting-scope-with-tripod-94555.html and I thought about buying it just hoping it'd do. After reading reviews I figured why waste my money. My binoculars would be just as good. I googled that spotting scope for reviews and the majority by a huge margin said JUNK while others were impressed. It all comes down to you get what you paid for. 1000 dollar glass has no comparison to 49.00 glass. It's similar to Coke and Pepsi. I can tell the difference and I like rye and Coke.

MS50
05-09-2015, 05:49 AM
I have a Leupold Gold Ring 15-45X. Bought it on sale at a gun shop for about $235. It works fine. In heavy mirage, I can't use it much higher than 30X, but that's me. I would recommend avoiding the very large scopes that are out there. They move more in the wind, and require heavier, sturdier stands or tripods. If you want to use the scope for anything other than the range, such as birding or hunting, you'll want a smaller scope. My scope is regularly criticized for not having an angled eyepiece. It's never been a problem for me. Once it's set up for comfort, it's fine. I'm not sure what it takes to see .223 holes at longer distances, but my scope just barely manages it. As I said, in heavy mirage, all bets are off. As other posters stated, you'll regret going too cheap.

yobuck
05-09-2015, 10:07 AM
I shoot from 100-600yrds. Don't wanna spend more than 200, I know some are laughing. Tell me what some of you guys own and like and why. Thanks.

Where are you located Powderburnz?
Reason im asking is because i could let you look thru several different brands of very good scopes.
Good dosent necessarily mean very expensive, it simply means good. 30 years ago some very
scopes were made and they are still very good scopes. Over the last 10 years ive no doubt bought
50 or more scopes on ebay. Come to our camp and ill show you at least half of them. The others have
been sold off to help satisfy my habit. In PA virtualy every long range hunter uses large tripod mounted
binnoculars for long rang hunting and shooting. The vast majority of them are made up with 2 spotting scopes
in a machined fully adjustable bracket designed specificaly for that purpose. You will find the most expensive large
Swarovski and Kowa scopes being used for that purpose there. But by far the most commonly used scopes are the (older)
Bushnell 60 mm spacemaster. In PA we must count points on bucks so you can see why the need for quality optics.
Also the (older) Bushnell Sentry model having a 50 mm objective is fairly popular.
Right now on ebay there is one of each of these scopes listed. The 60 mm spacemaster has a zoom eyepiece.
Listing #281685912265. You will buy this scope for under $100. The other 50mm Sentry model is ebay #171779296094.
Currently listed at $35 with a 20x and a 32x eyepiece. There might not be any more bids on this scope meaning that would be the sale price.
I reccomend you buy one of these scopes. If your not fully satisfied with it ill give you what you paid for it including shipping cost.
If i reneg on that offer you have my permission to say so right here on this site. I might add that zooms arent the best eyepiecs for optical quality.
Unfortunatly thats all most scope makers are offering today. But for your type use it will no doubt prove satisfactory. And it can always be replaced
with a different fixed power one.

LongRange
05-09-2015, 08:33 PM

Listen to yobuck....if not the red fields arent bad.