PDA

View Full Version : What lube ?

draidt
05-08-2015, 11:55 AM
I just traded for an 80's vintage 110 GCXP3, bolt action .270 and it looks hardly used, but for my own edification I dissembled the bolt and cleaned all of the parts and again it was pristine condition. What do you all use for lubrication on the bolt, I know I probably opened up a can of worms.http://s34.photobucket.com/user/draidt/media/savage_zps07ni0fkm.jpg.html

jonbearman
05-08-2015, 12:18 PM
I just put a drop of oil on my finger and work it between my thumb to just leave a shear coat of oil on the pin and spring and just a tiny amount on the cocking cam surfaces and that's it.

draidt
05-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Thanks !

LongRange
05-08-2015, 03:07 PM
most of my shooting is in the dirt so i just hose my bolts down with gun juice and let them dry...the gun juice leaves a slick dry film...the dry silicon spray works pretty good too.

BillPa
05-08-2015, 06:34 PM
I just traded for an 80's vintage 110 GCXP3, bolt action .270 and it looks hardly used, but for my own edification I dissembled the bolt and cleaned all of the parts and again it was pristine condition. What do you all use for lubrication on the bolt, I know I probably opened up a can of worms.

After cleaning including a running a pipe cleaner through the bolt head, I'll apply a light coat of Break-Free on all the internals, let it set a few minutes then wipe off all the excess with a rag. After assembly but before installing the bolt I'll clean the lug recesses-abutments, the apply a thin coat of bolt or lithium grease on the high friction areas, the back of the lugs, the cocking ramp and PE cam.

The recesses-abutments, lugs, cocking ramp, and PE cam are cleaned and re-greased every time I clean a barrel and chamber.

Bill

darkker
05-08-2015, 06:42 PM
While I don't subscribe to the notion of it being "Magical". I do like FrogLube, if you use heat like they say.

clintsrv
05-08-2015, 06:56 PM
FrogLube is a wonderful product.