PDA

View Full Version : Boresighting a scope

rick3
05-06-2015, 03:59 PM
OK, I've searched for this topic here, but didn't find anything addressing this:

Boresighting without a laser boresighter...

I know how to do it:
- setup the rifle (with the scope mounted) on a table/platform that you can secure it solidly to.
- remove the bolt
- place a "small" target dot downrange at least 25 yds away (some places that describe this say to place it 50-100 yds away)
- looking thru the bore, adjust the rifle so that you can see the target dot clearly/centered
- without moving the rifle, adjust the elevation/windage on the scope so that the crosshairs are centered on the dot

Easy peasy, right?

Well, maybe IF you are boresighting a .458 Win Mag, with a bore large enough that you can actually SEE a target dot 25 yds away (never mind 50-100 yds away)!

But I'm trying to do this with a .243, and it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack by looking thru a drinking straw; I can't imagine what trying to do it with a .223 would be.

Is there an easier way than spending 10 minutes on your knees hunched over, adjusting the rifle while it's fastened down, trying to even FIND that dot 25 yds away..."am I aiming the rifle too far to the right? too high? Whoops, was that the edge of the dot?...no, that's not it..."

Is there an easier way?

jpdown
05-06-2015, 04:41 PM
Put the target at 25 yards and shoot one round with the crosshairs centered on the bullseye. Then put the crosshairs back on the bullseye, hold the rifle in place and adjust the crosshairs to the center of the bullet hole. The scope crosshairs will now be aligned close to the actual bullet path from your rifle. I follow the same procedure at 50 yards. Then make final adjustments at 100 yards.

barrel-nut
05-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Try one of the large sight-in targets with the big red 6" diameter diamonds in the center. Center the diamond in the bore at 25 or so yards.

yobuck
05-06-2015, 05:02 PM
Try doing as JPDOWN reccomended.
Shoot 1 round, hold steady on the bull or aiming point, then without moving the gun dial the scope to the bullet hole.

barrel-nut
05-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Try doing both. Bore sight it as best you can first, that will get you on paper. Then do as jpdown said. Should have it done with 2-3 rounds.

TexNAss
05-07-2015, 07:52 AM
I use the light on the tractor shed which is about 60 yards away from my shack, and I've used street lights at mates houses for bore sighting.

Just peek through the barrel, and then walk the cross hairs onto the light and make it an inch higher than the center.

Really easy to do.

Tex.

BillPa
05-07-2015, 09:18 AM
Put the target at 25 yards and shoot one round with the crosshairs centered on the bullseye. Then put the crosshairs back on the bullseye, hold the rifle in place and adjust the crosshairs to the center of the bullet hole. The scope crosshairs will now be aligned close to the actual bullet path from your rifle. I follow the same procedure at 50 yards. Then make final adjustments at 100 yards.

I learnened ya well!:p

Seriously, although I'll use a boresighter to make sure the scope and barrel are both pointed in the same general direction at the range I'll still use that same procedure. Almost every year a few will show up with a new rifle and or scope then struggle trying to get on paper @ 100. I'll take then to the 25-50 yard ranges rather than watch them burn up a bunch of ammo. Yes, I'm a super nice guy!:p

I keep a Leupold Zero Point in my range box for those shooting a Pa trombone(760s), lever guns, scoped MLs, and etc. to initially get them on paper at 25, then go from there.

Bill

Balljoint
05-07-2015, 09:20 PM
I do this in my cellar using a lazar pointer right down the center of the bore, have a reflective sight in target on my cellar door that is 12.5 yards from the muzzle placing the cross hairs one inch above center will get me on at 100 yards every time.

dieselflipper
07-16-2015, 02:40 PM
I've always found aiming the bore at the center of the neighbor's truck tire (about 60 yards away) and adjusting the crosshairs to it gets me within a few inches of center at 100 like a charm.

BlueDog
07-16-2015, 03:57 PM
I use the light on the tractor shed which is about 60 yards away from my shack, and I've used street lights at mates houses for bore sighting.

Just peek through the barrel, and then walk the cross hairs onto the light and make it an inch higher than the center.

Really easy to do.

Tex.

+1 for Tex and the light method. I use a streetlight down the road and with a decently shiny bore it's very easy to center the light, if you're off the reflection in the bore is VERY easy to see. I've done it this way for years, and haven't found a better or easier way.