PDA

View Full Version : So how did those short chambered 6.5 Creedmoors work out?

BoilerUP
05-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Looks like I get my first (last?) experience with Savage customer service...

Picked up a 11 Trophy Predator Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor a few months back and noticed that factory 140gr Amax Match ammo required a little extra "oomph" to close the bolt on, that ejected live rounds had scratches up to the ogive, some ejected fired cases had faint ejector marks and sometimes I experienced sticky bolt. Ran 5 rounds across a Magnetospeed and averaged 2810fps...from a 22" barrel!!!

Ran 5 of the same lot through a 26" Criterion Rem-Age barrel and experienced no hard bolt closing, no scratched up live rounds, no ejector marks and no sticky bolt with 5-round average velocity of 2857fps, very typical of a 26" 6.5 Creedmoor.

Finally got around to measuring the 140 Amax, 123 Amax, 140 HPBT and 142 SMK and discovered that the 11 Trophy Predator Hunter hit the lands at least a full 0.18" before the Criterion with each bullet.

Called Savage earlier today and they took my info, saying UPS would come pick the rifle up at my house tomorrow (5/7) for them to evaluate it.

I know there were a number of other Savage 6.5 Creedmoors in the last couple years that had signifigant issues with short chambers, so I'm curious how those that went through all that fared. Did they punch your chamber out to the .199 SAAMI standard, replace the barrel, or do nothing? What was the turnaround time?

Thanks...

BoilerUP
05-28-2015, 02:07 PM
Just got an email that Savage "reamed out the chamber" and that the rifle is on its way back to me no later than tomorrow.

Rosco
05-28-2015, 06:58 PM
Good to hear they fixed that for you!!Hopefully you won't have any more issues.

everege
05-29-2015, 05:42 AM
I have a very similiar issue with my Model 10 Predator Hunter,Max-1 6.5 Creedmoor. It happens with 140gr rounds (ALTHOUGH i NEVER SHOT ANY OTHER) I'm planning oneling, would this fix the issue or should I call Savage and send back, I am a little concerned with sending it back. If properly rebarreling the gun would help I would rather just do that

everege
05-29-2015, 06:10 AM
SORRY ABOUT THE ABOVE...Needs extra effort to close bolt right at the end of the cycle when you lock bolt down,it also looks like the case gets scraped on ramp going up to chamber. You can see brass markings on the ramp.
I'm planning on rebarreling this rifle (excuse my ignorance) but would a proper rebarrel job fix this issue or should I call Savage and send back ? I am a little concerned with sending back, wait and will it be fixed properly.

Hotolds442
05-29-2015, 07:54 AM
The extra effort may be due to the bullet being forced into the lands as you close the bolt. Take a sharpie and dress up one of those 140's, chamber it, and then remove it to see if there are signs of rifling on the ogive. Yours may very well be short chambered also.

jb6.5
05-29-2015, 03:36 PM
I've sold a few model 11's here in the shop and noticed the short throat. Just rechambered my wife's lady hunter today.

everege
05-30-2015, 08:22 AM
Hotolds442, I took your advice and utilized the magic marker...no marks or signs of the rifling. So on my next round of shooting (which would be rounds 80 thru 104 on the new rifle) I ignored the DBM and used it as a single shot...NO issues at all, easy bolt movment in closing of chamber. Upon further investigation I found it is the ramp which the round slides up to feed into the chamber....when looking into the chamber the ramp looks like a -U- with a sharp edge at the top of the ramp with the round scraping on the upper part of the bottom concave right where the vertical arms start. It's scraping the case in 2 spots down the entire length starting below the neck. It would seem that it's holding the round up a bit too long causing the round to bind inside the chamber before final seating. Can this area be polished down or something to smooth the sharp edge ?
My gun also finally came into it's own printing some really great groups preferring 140g Sierra Matchkings over 140g Amax..if I can figure out how to add some pictures I will. Best group with Amax was 7/16" and best group with Matchkings was 1/4", Sierra's seemed to like all 3 loads i developed. Best group I ever shot..could be because the feeding problem stress level was reduced tremendously.

Viper
05-30-2015, 09:07 AM
I received my new Mdl 12. LRP in 6.5 yesterday. I tried several reloads and factory rounds. I have yet to fire a round, but having great difficulty in extracting the round and substantial marks on the bullet. Looks like the issues are not resolved and this one will be going back to Savage. What has been the turnaround time others have seen?

BoilerUP
05-30-2015, 09:15 AM
I am really pretty disappointed in Savage QC, having short chamber issues in both 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 persisting into their third year...

When my rifle arrives back from Savage, I will post an update on the chamber.

Viper
05-30-2015, 09:17 AM
Short of re- barreling, have others taken to a local smith and had them resolve?

bunyan_0341
05-30-2015, 10:13 PM
Dang I wish I would have read this before I ordered my 11 trophy predator hunter in 6.5 2 days ago

BoilerUP
06-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Got the rifle back last week...paperwork showed "reamed tight chamber".

Immediately ran a few patches down the barrel then threw a 140gr HPBT into the Hornady tool, which showed a length to lands of 2.816" - this is fully 0.16" more than it measured before I sent it to Savage. Ran a factory 140 Amax Match round through it, with no scratches below the bullet ogive and completely normal force when closing the bolt.

Weather permitting, I hope to shoot it tomorrow.

bunyan_0341
06-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Sounds promising

GaCop
06-09-2015, 07:11 AM
I've been wanting a Creedmoor. Looks like I'll use a Criterion barrel on a short action and eliminate any possible problems that could arise.

bunyan_0341
06-23-2015, 10:39 AM
My model 11 trophy predator works a ok with Winchester 140 BTHP, hornady 120&140 amax and 129sst's guess I lucked out

limige
06-23-2015, 04:32 PM
I recently found out mine has a tight neck. most of the time no issues chambering, when shes hot and dirty I have one now and again that is rubbing the bullet causing it to chamber hard. its not the rifling but the neck. i'm trying to decide what to do. gun isn't shooting the best, 3/4 moa no matter what I do it seems. not bad from a factory standpoint but not good from my end.

I plan to run a tubbs kit and fire lap it but i'm debating about pulling the barrel and having it rereamed.

jerry shaw
06-26-2015, 11:27 PM
I can't speak to the factory Savage 6.5 Creedmoor barrels. Have had good luck with Criterion barrels from Northland.
I recently rebarreled a 12 F/TR with a Criterion 28 inch bull barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. It has worked very well for me.
A good friend purchased a Savage Target receiver and had me install a 30 inch Criterion bull barrel in 6.5. His rifle shoots exceedingly well.
Both were built to give new long range shooters something they could shoot without having to load their own ammo. These rifles have turned out to be interesting projects for me. It's my first experience with this case. I'm impressed with the cartridge, although I'll keep my .260 Remington rifles for my own use.

looxaomapastor
08-05-2015, 11:14 PM
I bought model 12 lrp 65 cm about 2 weeks ago and no issues at all. Shoot 1/2 " groups out of box with 140 gr amax factory ammo all day.

limige
08-10-2015, 06:01 PM
i'm awaiting a reamer from reamerentals.com i'm just going to hand ream it a touch to clean up the throat. should shoot great once that's ironed out.