PDA

View Full Version : Did I ruin my stock?

JASON_SCHROEDER
05-19-2010, 12:53 PM
I am putting my 223 12FVSS into a Boyd's thumbhole stock. I purchased a pillar kit off of ebay and the pillars are pretty big. There wasn't much material in the stock between the rear action screw hole and the trigger assembly to begin with, and when I drilled my holes out to accommodate the larger pillars the material broke out. Is my stock ruined or can I just bed the pillars in and have the bedding compound holding the rear pillar? I am planning on bedding the action and recoil lug as well.
Thanks,
Jason

jpdown
05-19-2010, 03:54 PM
I've had the same problem before. So I bedded only the pillars first. Put two layers of tape around action bolts to center in pillars. Tape the barrel and tang area to center and free float both in the stock. Put extra bedding on back pillar to fill in and build up the wood area you lost. The bedding compound should be thick enough to stay in place. After bedding the pillars you have everything lined up perfect and can come back and bed the recoil lug and action. Use a dremel tool to clean up excess bedding in trigger well.

JASON_SCHROEDER
05-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks jp. That's what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks a lot!
Jason

Harriershot
05-19-2010, 06:34 PM
I hope you are using Devcon.
Accraglass is junk!

JASON_SCHROEDER
05-20-2010, 06:49 AM
Actually I am using the Miles Gilbert kit. I didn't want to drop $40 on 1 lb of Devcon when I only needed a little. I couldn't find any small tubes of it other than the 2 ton epoxy.