PDA

View Full Version : Headspace Question

j_h_nimrod
05-05-2015, 08:15 PM
I just received my .240 Weatherby barrel from Apache Gunworks and am very pleased with Jim's work. Using gauges I got it headspaced correctly, and then liking to experiment I added a piece of packaging tape (.002) to the head of the go gauge and it would not close as I expected. I decided to check a piece of Weatherby brass as a "Hillbilly Gauge" and found that it took three pieces of tape (.006) to get to where I finally started to feel resistance and 4 (.008) before the bolt would no longer close.

My question is, would I be better off head spacing to a cartridge plus .002? Weatherby brass has always been very consistent and I am not too worried about getting brass out of spec and being a belted case would spacing closer to the belt be better?

Hotolds442
05-05-2015, 08:36 PM
I'd just fireform the brass to your newly head spaced chamber. Then you'll be head spacing on the shoulder instead of the belt which would give you a better potential for accuracy. Neck size from there on until bumping the shoulder becomes necessary.

GaCop
05-07-2015, 06:22 AM
I'd just fireform the brass to your newly head spaced chamber. Then you'll be head spacing on the shoulder instead of the belt which would give you a better potential for accuracy. Neck size from there on until bumping the shoulder becomes necessary.
Sound advice.....

SDCoyoteCaller
05-12-2015, 12:13 AM

Yep, this is what I did when I had a .257 Weatherby. Very good advice here.