PDA

View Full Version : 44 Auto Mag on Model 11 platform

Pages : 1 [2]

Nor Cal Mikie
05-11-2015, 09:42 AM
I had considered setting up a Savage for a "rimmed" case. Lots of rounds to choose from. I took a bolt head and had it opened up to fit the rimmed case. The extractor snaps over the rim so that part is taken care of. Not even thinking about repeater feeding. Single shot for sure. I was working with .256 Winchester brass but just about any rimmed brass should get you what you want. One step at a time till you get what you're going after.

pdcullen
05-11-2015, 11:06 AM
Best I saw researching this was a 54R conversion, using a cone on the barrel 'face': http://www.shotgunnews.com/ask-the-gunsmith/rechambering-savage-110-7-62x54r/

To be honest this is getting too exotic for my skills/mind at the moment.

handirifle
07-01-2015, 02:50 AM
I would just look for a used H&R 44 mag single shot, and be done with it. They stopped making them but should be some available on the used market. Probably cost less than re-barreling a Savage.

J.Baker
07-10-2015, 12:15 AM
Ok, I'll be the voice of reason here... Why not just go out and buy a lever gun in .44 Mag or .357 Mag? The Rossi's 92's are pretty cheap and of good quality. They're not up to Cowboy Action abuse, but they'll last more than a lifetime in a hunting role. They're also have a manual safety and are very light which makes them very kid friendly.

Another option would be the old Ruger 96/44 lever gun, but they're a bit pricey if/when you can even find one.

Robinhood
07-10-2015, 08:39 AM
I know where to get my hands on about 250 lake city Match 30-06 cases already cut to length for the 44 auto mag. I was thinking about doing the same thing for an AR at one time. I might donate some of the cases for somebody to work with if they would like. Let me know if you need a few to play with. These have been sized but not reamed.

foxx
07-10-2015, 08:39 AM
Right, Jim.

The thing is, what started this, for me, was a quest for inexpensive, simple to operate platform to teach a bunch of kids the fundamentals of shooting and hunting and allow them to hunt with them. I was looking for 5-15 rifles for a non-profit organization with very little funds. My hope was I could build the model 10's or Axis bolt guns for about $150-200 each after considering donations of time and talent and labor from a certain group of talented and generous friends of mine who were all gonna chip in. So, at the time I was just exploring options. As it turned out, the organization was not able to come up with the funding to make it work by their own deadline. We're working on it for next year.

sixonetonoffun
07-10-2015, 08:43 AM
Have to agree with the lever rossi. Comes with a recoil pad and scope rail. Street price is low and kids love lever guns.

foxx
07-10-2015, 08:57 AM
Thanks, Robinhood, for the offer. It's still something I'd like to pursue sometime, but right now I've had to put the project on hold. Maybe it's a concept someone else could work on, though. :)

foxx
07-10-2015, 08:59 AM
Lever guns would be cool. "A Christmas Story" comes to mind. :)

sixonetonoffun
07-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Awe! Memories...

The practical side is being control feed no issues with changing bullets and headspace. Off the shelf ammo is another plus.

Push feed savage for straight cartridges have their own issues. 116 SE controlled feed actions would cost 3-4 Axis's. Short Mag actions cf aren't much better.

Better leave this build to the one off builders.