PDA

View Full Version : Sighting in Frustrations and questions

skyking897
05-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Recently picked up a used left hand Axis in 30.06 . For one reason or another, it was about 6 weeks later that I finally got to the range to fire it. Before I went, I had it bore sighted just because. Anyway, it was not even on the paper. Put up a large 3'X3' piece of cardboard and POI was 18" below the target and about 2" to the right. After some mega adjustments, it was finally in the 8 ring. The range officer then called a cease fire so cleared firearm and stepped behind the line. When firing resumed, my next shot resembled a black powder gun. There was a big cloud of ????? coming from my barrel. Don't know what happened, but I had a bulge about 2 1/2" from the end of the barrel. That was the end of my shooting that day.

Ended up taking it to (you know the story) friend of a friend of a friend who does gunsmithing. After playing out all the scenarios, he ended up shortening the barrel 3" and re-crowned it. Assured me the change in accuracy would be minimal but neglected to mention how much more kick it would have. Got back to the range, continued sighting it in. Four shots later had it sighted in and was shooting 1.5" groups at 100 yards. Satisfied with that but this thing now kicks like a mule on steroids. Recoil was manageable before but it's scary now and muzzle rise is ridiculous.

Been looking at muzzle brakes in hopes of taming this 30.06 . Am considering a Witt clamp on muzzle brake and wondered if anyone has any experience with them. Found a couple of videos on you tube and they appear to do as claimed. Recommendations anyone?

BW64
05-04-2015, 11:42 AM
I have a Witt on my Rem SPS .308. Got about 1200 rounds through it. It has never moved. Recoil reduction makes it feel like a .223. I can shoot all day with no pain. Just make sure you follow the measuring instructions when ordering. Happy shooting.

BW

DrThunder88
05-05-2015, 12:36 AM
Wow, that's a pretty scary thing to happen. It almost seems like a squib got followed by a regular round, but that's unlikely given the circumstances.

Still, I'm glad it was fixed. If it's still in the factory plastic, you might try adding some weight to the stock.

pisgah
05-05-2015, 07:59 AM
I doubt that shortening the barrel by 3" increased the recoil by any measurable degree. What it did increase was the perceived muzzle blast. Adding a brake won't make that any better -- in fact, may make it worse.

skyking897
05-05-2015, 01:29 PM
I doubt that shortening the barrel by 3" increased the recoil by any measurable degree. What it did increase was the perceived muzzle blast. Adding a brake won't make that any better -- in fact, may make it worse.

I probably put 20 rounds thru it before the incident and really never noticed the recoil as that bad. After the barrel was shortened, using my normal shooting posture, with my hand wrapped around the grip part of the stock when I pulled the trigger, the recoil slammed the rifle back so hard, the trigger guard would smash into my knuckles. That has never happened to me before. So yes, the recoil was significantly worse.

skyking897
05-05-2015, 01:32 PM

If it's still in the factory plastic, you might try adding some weight to the stock.

This is something I'm seriously considering doing along with the muzzle brake.

short round
05-05-2015, 04:46 PM
If these are hand loads I would consider reducing powder charge. Also if hand loads or store bought, lighter bullets will help.

Robinhood
05-05-2015, 07:33 PM
It sounds to me like there is a problem with the barrel. I would stop shooting it and replace the barrel before you get hurt. You have "dodged the bullet" once already. Don't push your luck. Barrels in that caliber are much cheaper than hospital bills. I bet you can find one for 60 bucks shipped.

homefrontsniper
05-05-2015, 10:30 PM
^what he said^

foxx
05-05-2015, 11:17 PM
^^^^^ YEP! Even if there's nothing wrong with the barrel, it just ain't worth it.

skyking897
05-06-2015, 01:30 PM
It sounds to me like there is a problem with the barrel.

I'm not trying to be smart or ????? but could you elaborate on this because this is the first time that has been suggested?

Barrels in that caliber are much cheaper than hospital bills. I bet you can find one for 60 bucks shipped.

My first inclination was to replace the barrel but I only searched a couple of sites and a new barrel was considerably more than $60+ the shipping. If you know of a place that sells them that cheap I'd appreciate if you past along that info.

foxx
05-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Paid memberships here give you access to member classifieds. Great source for that type of thing. I have bought and sold dozens of NEW ans some used barrels. $60 shipped for a new factory sporter take off in 30-06 is typical. Ebay is anther source.better deals here though. Can also post wtb ads. I sometimes will buy a new gun if i know someone wants the barrel even before i get the gun. Best $15 a year a savage shooter could ever spend or invest

tufrthnails
05-06-2015, 04:39 PM
^^^What he said^^^ Saved that $15 fee many times over now.

Robinhood
05-06-2015, 08:27 PM
I don't know if the management will allow this and I will only do it with their blessing, I have one that is about 20 inches I will sell it to you for that price to keep you from getting hurt. I mean no insult by saying this but it would be very sad if you got injured because you failed to recognize the seriousness of what you stated. A damaged barrel that has an increase in recoil probably means a significant increase in pressure. An increase in pressure means there is a problem. I don't know why you almost blew your barrel up but it may be from too light of a powder load like an attempt at subsonics. Whatever happened it was not normal and when messing with 60000 PSI you want normal.

edited...
You could also pay the 15 and I will sell it to you for 50 again with the blessings of management as I am not a paid member.

What ammo where you shooting anyway?

pdcullen
05-06-2015, 08:50 PM
I do not want to pile on, but I would not fire that rifle without a barrel swap; I realize that the barrel and tools and gauges cost money, but I cannot stress how rare it is to have a failure like you described without serious bodily injury.

foxx
05-06-2015, 09:35 PM
They're right.

skyking897
05-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Want to thank everybody for sharing their knowledge. As much as I enjoy hunting and shooting, I really know almost nothing about issues like this or gun smithing in general. That's why I posted here. For whoever asked, I was shooting Federal 180gr. SP rounds. Other that what I posted in my original post I have not been shooting this rifle since the incident. For now it just sitting in my gun safe until I figure this out.

Robinhood..... just a quick question, I thought all Axis barrels were 22" long? Send me a PM, re used barrel.

devildogandboy
05-07-2015, 07:06 PM
maybe after your range mishap you have become "cautious" and the gun seems to have more recoil than before.

Bruce