PDA

View Full Version : Boyds Heavy Barrel vs Standard Stock

SDCoyoteCaller
05-04-2015, 12:59 AM
I have an axis action that I am going to put either a #5 contour or possibly a criterion lite varmint contour barrel on. I was wondering when it came to ordering a Boyd's stock if I should go with the heavy barrel model or stick with the one with the standard barrel channel. I was thinking I would need the heavy barrel version, but wanted to check with you guys first. Thanks!

Mark

Hotolds442
05-04-2015, 02:35 AM
Compare the barrel manufacturers dimensions for the contour of your choice to the dimensions that Boyd's shows for the two different barrel inlets. A barrel channel that's smaller than the barrel can always be opened up, one that's too large will always look hideous.

DrThunder88
05-04-2015, 03:07 AM
My .300 Win Mag barrel was sold as a "heavy sporter" by Numrich. I don't know what that corresponds to in terms of the barrel tapers you mentioned, but it was a drop-in fit in my standard barrel channel. It was something of a pleasant shock, as I had planned on needing to open the channel a bit. It's still going to be necessary once my barrel from Apache is finished! Now that I think about it, I don't think the heavy barrel channel was an option when I ordered.

If the Boyds HB channel is for the factory barrel, it'll be about 0.93" wide at or near the tip of the forend for a barrel that tapers to 0.73" at the muzzle. Based on the numbers I've seen for the barrel contours you're looking for, they will fit in the heavy barrel channel with some extra space.