PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Eye Precision 308 ammo

savedsoul88
05-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Hey guys, waiting my 308 to arrive and stocking up on some ammo to see what it likes. got a 10p model, already got a SS 12x and a B&C m40 for it jsut waiting. I recently reviewed ammo for a new company called Eagle Eye Precision, i shot it out of my custom 700 and it did what it said it would do, the remmy got stolen out of my truck (good and bad as i know have seen the light of the barrel nut, but do miss the chassis and the scope) I dont plan on changing the barrel on the 10p, pretty much just the stock change on it. has anyone shot this ammo out of a savage? i got a box on order and hopefully it will get here before i have to leave to go texas, ive got a couple other types of off the shelf ammo to try, but i liked what this did out of the remmy, and for $30 a box its not to bad.

Anyone shoot it?

bani
05-11-2015, 04:12 AM
Hey guys, waiting my 308 to arrive and stocking up on some ammo to see what it likes. got a 10p model, already got a SS 12x and a B&C m40 for it jsut waiting. I recently reviewed ammo for a new company called Eagle Eye Precision, i shot it out of my custom 700 and it did what it said it would do, the remmy got stolen out of my truck (good and bad as i know have seen the light of the barrel nut, but do miss the chassis and the scope) I dont plan on changing the barrel on the 10p, pretty much just the stock change on it. has anyone shot this ammo out of a savage? i got a box on order and hopefully it will get here before i have to leave to go texas, ive got a couple other types of off the shelf ammo to try, but i liked what this did out of the remmy, and for $30 a box its not to bad.

Anyone shoot it?

i shoot it out of a savage 10 fcp-k in 223 and it is exceptional. previously the best factory ammo for my rifle was federal gold medal match 69gr, which gave me around .6moa. the eagle eye gave me around .37! for factory ammo this is astounding. I now believe their 1/2 moa claim. this ammo is no joke!

the nice thing is that eagle eye is available direct, whereas you'll do a lot of searching to find any federal gmm in stock.

for target plinking ammo, i favor PPU match. it's a pretty consistent 1moa performer, the price is excellent, and so is the brass. for the serious stuff it's eagle eye for me from now on. bye bye federal gmm.

savedsoul88
05-11-2015, 01:21 PM
So i Finally got to go test, i grabbed anything with the work "match" in it i could find on shelves for the 100 yrd test, which wasn't alot, i grabbed what i could, for the 100 yrd test i only got to do
Eagle Eye 175
Hornady 168 match
Hornady steel match
Winchester 168 match
i will repost with the cost for everything as the receipt is in the wife's car right now.

I didn't get black hills and FGMM and i will be doing a retest as well because of that, no one had it on the shelves.

So the set up
Everything was shot Prone with a Harris bi pod up front and a rolled up towel in the back.
Savage 10p 1-10 twist 5r varmint contour, accutrigger set as what it came at ( still getting used to that bad boy, but i love it already)
SWFA SS fixed 12 power scope, rear parallax, the classic edition. Mil Quad Reticle
Bell Carlson M40 stock, not bedded.

for the 100 yrd test i did the following, cleaned the barrel, shot 5 rounds the hornady steel match to foul, each round was 1 minute apart.
fired 5 3 shot groups of each ammo, (4 of the hornady match, it was a half used box from a friend)
cleaned the barrel, let the barrel cool down to ambient temp, fouled the barrel again with the steel match 5 shots 1 minute apart, and moved to the next ammo.

here was the results

Eagle Eye 175 grn
http://s284.photobucket.com/user/savedsoul88/slideshow/Eagle%20Eye

the second photo is actually the first group, that's why its not on a diamond, i made my correction from there

The EE shot the best averaging right around .6 moa, which is pretty **** close to the .5 the advertise. The next day when i did the 1000yrd test i did check my zero at 100 with the EE and i shot 3 .4 moa groups, i believe this is because the stock barrel shoots better when its fouled up alittle more, im going to do some more tests and keep the barrel dirty.

Hornady 168 Match

http://s284.photobucket.com/user/savedsoul88/slideshow/Hornady%20Match%20168

this shot the second best with a average of .7moa i did only get 4 groups due to how much ammo i had, i didnt get to try this at 1000yrds either

Hornady Steel match 155
http://s284.photobucket.com/user/savedsoul88/slideshow/Hornady%20steel%20match
i believe this is probable around .8-.9 moa for the money this is what i shoot for practice. i did shoot this at 1000yrd, i was not super sonic at 1000 however it seem to stay farly stable.

the biggest suprise was the most expensive ammo by far shot the worst
Winchester 168 Match
http://s284.photobucket.com/user/savedsoul88/slideshow/Winchester%20match

i think this is averages around 1 moa. after looking at the groups, i think my rifle just doesn't like it, i think there's a harmonic factor as there was 2 shots close and one way off.

For the 1000yrd test, there was a 12inch gong i would have really liked to use a 20x 40 silhouette target, the mirage was HORRIBLE so this may not be the greatest test. I did not tell my spotter what ammo i was using and he kept a score card. The stand for the gong from leg to leg is 30 inches, the top of the stand is 20 inchs form the dirt, and there was a berm in the back. It was up to my spotters call on the misses, anything misses right next to he gong he counted on a separate line then hits, the goal was to see if one box of ammo had any flyers, i called my shots good or bad as they felt and he made mark of the calls. with the 12x scope and the mirage i could not see my misses, and could sometimes see the gong swing but it was hard. wind was 4-5 mph and generally switched directions 2-3 times per box. all wind calls were made by me and my spotter, there's wind socks at 200 400 600 from 600 to 1000 i had stakes with flags on them

i tested the following
hornady super performace 165 sst
Eagle Eye 175
Hornady zombie max 168
hornady steel match 155
winchester Match 168

again all prone and the cleaning method was the same. 3 sighters were then shot to get my dope and a wind reading off each type of round. then 20 round were shot with 1 min between rounds

the worst was Steel match, no hits on the gong, 13 out of 20 were in area the stand covered but no hits. My BC says they were well under super sonic so i expected them to be really bad but i was surprised at how did. i guess if you had to you could hit a 2 legged target at 1k with them. took almost 14 mils to get there.

second worst was Winchester, again my rifle may just not like it, 2 hits, every 3rd or 4th round would hit quite low. other then that most were in the gong area

Hornady Zombie 168 had 2 hits as well but no flyers, everything else was in the gong area

Hornady Super Performance and EE were pretty close

HSP had 9 hits, and the rest were vvery very close to the gong,
EE had 14 hits and the rest were very very close,

Im going to try to do another 1000 yrd test with some FGMM the HSP and the EE, maybe some black hills as well, but with my 20x40 target and see what i get, i will also work on getting some different lot numbers of the EE to see how it does across lots, i tested it out of my remmy like that and my 100yrd groups looked the same as the one with 3 shots from one lot, i would like to see how they do at 1000.

I was very impressed with the EE, i got it from venture munitions for 30 a box, which i think is a pretty **** good price for what it did. That puts it a little higher then the FGMM i get at 28 a box, but i think its worth it, especially if the cross lot testing shows what it did in the remmy, I will like to try some ppu and some other types but for plinking im going with the steel match, and for matches or 1000yrd shots im staying with the Eagle Eye.

The biggest thing for me is this, i dont have alot of time to hand load any more. FGMM is ok but every time i get a box i have to re zero to that box it seems, some times its bad, sometimes its good, but i dont trust it.
we even had to do this during contracting with m118lr, when we had a chance we tested each tin and wrote on the top of it the POI shift from our zero. When i tested it in the remmy we shot rounds from differnt lot numbers, and they all shot the same, knowing that i could buy it from any where, and my POI would be the same every time is pretty **** cool. plus it saves me 3 shots out of the box to zero =).

anyone else that shoots it let me know how it works for you!!