PDA

View Full Version : Bore Sighting my 111 7 mm Rem Mag

rawbz36
05-01-2015, 02:16 AM
Hey Guys,

Just bought a 111 7mm Rem Mag and was wondering if I should buy a bore sight and do it myself or if its easier to have a gunsmith do it/cheaper. If you recommend I do it myself what type of bore sight do you all recommend? Thanks!

short round
05-01-2015, 08:20 AM
I use the old school method. Draw circle on paper, fill in with Sharpie. Set target at 50 feet, Remove bolt & looking thru bore center target in bore, adjust scope to circle. When everything looks good, fire one shot, should be on paper, adjust as needed. Don't worry about fine adjustment at 50 ft. Set target at 100 yard, first shot normally will be one to two inches high due to trajectory.

sixonetonoffun
05-01-2015, 08:23 AM
The cheap laser I tried was useless. Set the rifle in a vise or stable rest. Pull the bolt and sight the barrel on something @100yds. Coke can works fine. Then adjust the scope without disturbing the rifle. Might take half a dozen times before your satisfied. But it will get you on paper at 50yds the rest is sighting in 101.

rawbz36
05-01-2015, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys! I plan on taking her out soon. what do you guys think of sighting it in at 25 yds first? then moving it out to 50 and then 100?

snowgetter1
05-01-2015, 04:42 PM
The further away your target is when bore sighting the more accurate it will be. I was a 13B for 10 of my 23 years of service on 155mm towed howitzers. We used a distant aiming point of at least 1500 meters away. Can't totally remember if that was the minimum distance or not but it was either 1k or 1.5k away. And those howitzers shot rifle accurate when we direct fired them.

natesatt
05-01-2015, 05:21 PM
I used the look down the barrel method mentioned above many times. It works fine. My buddy got a Leupold ScopeSmith Magnetic Boresighter and it works well. It's real handy for a semiauto.

FW Conch
05-06-2015, 02:46 PM
I use the 25yd method. I have a roll of 2ft wide white printing paper that I make a 2'x3' backer from with an orange target dot in the center. I shoot at 25yds, measure he hit off the point of aim, and make the scope adjustment. I then move the target to 100yds, shoot, measure the hit from the POA, and make the scope adjustment. Since I site my rifles in at 200yds, I move the target to that distance, and repeat.

Once when I mounted a new scope on my 260Rem, I used this method, but could not see the hit at 200yds through a 32 power scope. I thought WTH? So I went up to the target to take a look. The reason I couldn't see the hit, it was inside the black diamond dot in the middle of the orange stick on target dot.

I calculated that the 3rd shot after mounting the scope hit .027MOA off the point of aim, at 200yds.

It's cool when a plan comes together, and saves on ammo! :-))

rawbz36
05-08-2015, 12:31 AM
I use the 25yd method. I have a roll of 2ft wide white printing paper that I make a 2'x3' backer from with an orange target dot in the center. I shoot at 25yds, measure he hit off the point of aim, and make the scope adjustment. I then move the target to 100yds, shoot, measure the hit from the POA, and make the scope adjustment. Since I site my rifles in at 200yds, I move the target to that distance, and repeat.

Once when I mounted a new scope on my 260Rem, I used this method, but could not see the hit at 200yds through a 32 power scope. I thought WTH? So I went up to the target to take a look. The reason I couldn't see the hit, it was inside the black diamond dot in the middle of the orange stick on target dot.

I calculated that the 3rd shot after mounting the scope hit .027MOA off the point of aim, at 200yds.

It's cool when a plan comes together, and saves on ammo! :-))

Thanks! Could explain a bit more about the target you make? a 2'x3' backer with an orange target in the center? Thanks FW Conch

PaddyD
05-08-2015, 03:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDNQ1P5M90k

FW Conch
05-08-2015, 02:16 PM
"36", the 2ft by 3ft target is to make sure I see the hit at 25yds. A big piece of cardboard works fine, it's just easier to see the hits on white paper when the target is farther away. Usually the 25yd hit is no more than 6" off in any direction. :-))

BillPa
05-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Thanks! Could explain a bit more about the target you make? a 2'x3' backer with an orange target in the center?

Because you may not be on a paper using a small target. As far as what to use, the unprinted side of a roll of wrapping paper will work (cheap!) then use a target dot or draw one with a Sharpie or pencil. You only need an aiming point. Fire a shot then hold back on the dot, adjust the scope to the bullet hole and fire the second.

Here is a good example > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiOpQY2ORo4

Bill