PDA

View Full Version : 30-40MOA bases

tomme boy
05-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Who all makes bases for the round top SA in 30 or 40 MOA?

hcpyro13
05-18-2010, 04:47 PM
I know Near manufacturing makes a wide variety of rails for round top savages. I got one of their stainless 10 MOA mounts, but they make all the way up to 75 MOA. Very well machined product, I love mine. Hope this helps.

HcP

tomme boy
05-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Anything else. Thats too rich for my blood.

Uncle Jack
05-18-2010, 05:31 PM
If you're looking for 30 and 40 MOA bases then it is obvious that you are trying to shoot accurately at great distance. Unfortunately, in this sport, cheap and accurate seldom come together.

uj

rjtfroggy
05-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Try looking up Ken Farrel bases, or EGW, or google 40moa bases.
Pretty sure EGW makes them though plus they are sponsors here.

Dinosdeuce
05-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Unfortunately, in this sport, cheap and accurate seldom come together.

uj

Amen Uncle Jack

pa hog
05-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Do it on the cheap with a 20MOA Base of your choice and use Burris Signature Zee rings with the inserts you can get 30 or 40 that way.

pdog06
05-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Do it on the cheap with a 20MOA Base of your choice and use Burris Signature Zee rings with the inserts you can get 30 or 40 that way.

BINGO!

tomme boy
05-19-2010, 06:50 AM
I have a EGW 20MOA base already and I have to use 30+ MOA already to zero scope @ 100 yds. I just want some of this back. I have an email into EGW right now about this and the rounded out screws.

rjtfroggy
05-19-2010, 07:16 AM
If you have a 20 moa base on your rifle and used up 30 moa of your scope at 100 yards something else is terribly wrong. Either the scope is way off, the mount is on backwards or the receiver is warped. start looking for a different problem.
The first place I would look is at the scope, do you have another that you can try, how about a different base or rings?

pa hog
05-19-2010, 07:32 AM
I'd check to make sure your base tapers toward you barrel, low end in the front,high end in the back. and make sure your front scope base screw is'nt bottoming out on the barrel threads as well. Or the front of the base is'nt sitting on the recoil lug,it could be alittle higher than the action.

pdog06
05-19-2010, 01:48 PM
if you need a 30-40moa base then you are obviously gonna be doing alot of shooting at long ranges. Why not just zero the rifle at 200 or 300 and you'll get some of it back right there?

With a 20moa base your scope should only need to use up 10-15moa tops to zero it@ 100.

Between changing the zero from 100 to 250-300(and still be able to aim dead-on on most game animals) and using some Sig Zee rings with inserts you can get most of 30moa back that you are now using.

I do agree though that it seems like there is something else going on to make you use up that much of your scope.

tomme boy
05-19-2010, 04:13 PM
This action is a normal twisted Savage. Actually either the scope base holes are drilled off center or the action screws are off center as the base( front and back ) tilts CCW looking from the rear. But that is another story.

I have tried two other scopes and it is the same thing.

The base is on right. Look up my post about a Rem-Savage build.

It could just be that the barrel is bored out of center and is just pointing down. It shoots great. I just wanted to get a little MOA back out of the scope. I still have roughly 60 moa left so I should be good for what I want to do.

rjtfroggy
05-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Tomme boy in your other post you state that there is 96"moa. Is that total?
If it is then from mechanical center(what it is set for at factory) you only have 48" in either direction, so if you used 30 you only have 18 left.
So if you have 60 or more left you started with the scope bottomed out. If that is the case take the scope off and recenter it and start over, or send back to midway for a replacement.
You also state the barrel was bored off center, why not send it back and have it replaced with one done right.This sounds like a project that has gone FUBAR.

tomme boy
05-19-2010, 06:40 PM
It has 96" total. Let me explain a little more. It it zeroed with a -36" from mech center. I want to be able to use more of the available adjustment in the scope. I do not care if it is at mech center. It seems that most scopes tend to loose the ability to hold adjustment at the high end of its range. That is why I would like to run this more towards the bottom.

And the barrel issue. The chamber on the barrel was offcenter from Remington. Sinman rechambered and threaded it to straighten it out. He ran his reamer in far enough to be able to get the chamber straight. If you have a factory Rem, it will more than likely have an off center chamber. The last 20 or so I have looked at all had one.

rjtfroggy
05-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Not knowing all your load data I ran a general one off of JB calculations and came up needing 69.9moa to get to 1000 yards. So a 30 moa will do but the 40 is what I would go with in case you ever want to try for more than 1000 yards.
I know what you mean about remington, My last one and I do mean LAST would not group better than 3.25"@100(7mm rem mag) when I called remington they told me there was nothing wrong with it and it was well with in specs.This was for a $1100 BDL custom, needless to say it went bye bye right after they told me this.
I now have a custom shop FPLE from Savage that still hasn't been shot, I have been waiting 5 months for my stock. By the time I shoot it it will be at least 10 months from the time I first ordered the rifle.