PDA

View Full Version : Bartlein vs. Shilen vs. Other?

WinnieTheBoom
04-30-2015, 09:49 PM
I have 250 rounds down the factory barrel on my 110 FCP .300 win mag in about 2 months that I've had it. Obviously it still shoots nice, tight groups in its current state, but I do a good bit of long range target shooting and it definitely likes hot handloads with heavy bullets. That being said, I'm anticipating having to replace it before years end.

I've always put Shilen barrels on all of my rifles, but everyone that I've talked to about the Savage has suggested Bartlein. Just wanted to get some opinions on both for this platform to see if there's a general preference of one vs. the other. I realize that there is most likely a negligible difference in accuracy as long as I do my part, but what do ya'll usually prefer?

Looking to go at least 28" with a heavy/fluted contour. Threaded for a brake/suppressor. Cost is going to be about the same for any of them but is not really a constraint.

TIA.

Newsshooter
04-30-2015, 11:47 PM
Bartlein makes a very good barrel, I have one on one of my 6.5's.

TRIGGER643
05-01-2015, 06:55 AM
My last build was with a Bartlein and I've been well pleased. I've had several Shilen barrels over the years, all without complaint. I believe you would be happy with either.

scope eye
05-01-2015, 07:25 AM
Bartlein's are cut rifled and Shilen's are button rifle respectfully, you need to compare apples to apples.

I have both and are both excellent products, who ever chamber's it is a big determining factor.

Dean

WinnieTheBoom
05-01-2015, 08:00 AM
Bartlein's are cut rifled and Shilen's are button rifle respectfully, you need to compare apples to apples.

I have both and are both excellent products, who ever chamber's it is a big determining factor.

Dean

Can you expand on this a little bit?

scope eye
05-01-2015, 08:29 AM

This is why you pay $400.00 for just the blank, and up to $1000.00 for a finished barrel, if you get every option they offer.
this goes for most cut rifle MFG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLUTL5S6yFE

Dean

scope eye
05-01-2015, 08:30 AM
A button rifle barrel is also a respectable option, and is what 90% of us shoot with excellent results, if not for this process shooting would probably be to cost prohibitive for most of us, and rifles in general would a lot more expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J16nVcXP_eA

Dean

LongRange
05-01-2015, 08:57 AM

last i checked with bartlein(its been awhile)did not make pre-fits for savage...you had either buy a blank and have it chambered by your smith or send them your action and they would install the barrel...i believe krieger was/is the same. ive only shot shilen barrels and all have been shooters.

LongRange
05-01-2015, 09:00 AM
This is why you pay $400.00 for just the blank, and up to $1000.00 for a finished barrel, if you get every option they offer.
this goes for most cut rifle MFG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLUTL5S6yFE

Dean

another reason i stick with shilen but i think ill try a criterion on my 260 next year.

scope eye
05-01-2015, 09:01 AM
I posted the videos more to show the two different processes cut vs button, but it is a neat video so I said what the hey.

Dean

LongRange
05-01-2015, 10:59 AM
I posted the videos more to show the two different processes cut vs button, but it is a neat video so I said what the hey.

Dean

it is a cool video...and i just meant that the cost of the cut riffling is what keeps me from buying....besides i really doubt i would notice the difference between a button and cut barrel.
also my latest barrel from shilen was $479+ shipping so i think im going to go criterion end of this year or first part of next year...my last shilen was still as accurate when i pulled it as the day i installed it with 2800 rounds through it but i plan on shoot all the long range varmint,600yd F and 1000yd F-class matches this year which will be right at 2000 rounds not counting practice and playing with different loads.

jonbearman
05-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Kreiger,bartlein,brux,pacnor are at the top right now. There are many others right on their tales.I have had good luck with shilen, mcgowen,hart etc. There is no one other than mass produced barrels that are at the bottom.

DanSavage
05-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Don't over look the McGowen barrel outlet, my McGowen shoot's every bit as good as my Shilen select match. McGowen will soon be offering cut rifle barrel's prefit for Savage's .

WinnieTheBoom
05-02-2015, 05:31 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the videos and feedback. I doubt that I would notice much of a difference between the two types of rifling processes, but I didn't realize that a lot of barrels will come as blanks and then have to be fitted by a smith. Would much prefer to do something that is pre-cut for the Savage action, so I can just swap it out on my own.

Looking like Shilen is going to stay at the top of my list as I've always had good luck with them, but I will be sure to check out McGowen and some of the other options before I order anything.

JW
05-03-2015, 06:11 AM
OP quote: Looking to go at least 28" with a heavy/fluted contour

I don't think shilen offers a fluted barrel --if your set on that
I would not let that stop me from ordering one though ( I have several and all are great shooters)
Jack

foxx
05-03-2015, 12:08 PM
I would also recommend checking out Apache Gun Works. Jim does an excellent job chambering, contouring and crowning both inexpensive and high end blanks. Price isn't an issue for everyone or every project, but he does excellent work for much less than anyone else I've found. Great guy and a supporter of this site.

http://apachegunworks.com/

Jamie
05-03-2015, 03:36 PM
I have had excellent results with Shilen, Criterion and McGowen. they will shoot better than most people shooting them can. You will here some say that those manufacturers are never on equipment list at competitions but I believe it was a Criterion that just set a world record.

Now with all that said, I used a Brux on my last one. You just feel good when the first one you use shoots 0.08"-0.15" consistently.

WinnieTheBoom
05-03-2015, 05:33 PM
OP quote: Looking to go at least 28" with a heavy/fluted contour

I don't think shilen offers a fluted barrel --if your set on that
I would not let that stop me from ordering one though ( I have several and all are great shooters)
Jack

Ideally it would be fluted and would have the option to be threaded by the manufacturer, but neither of those will be deal breakers if the accuracy is there. The length will definitely need to be 28" at the very least as I prefer slowing burning powders for long range shooting.

Dinosdeuce
05-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Take a look at Black Hole Weaponry. Price is very reasonable