PDA

View Full Version : A17/A22 Series: A-17: good or bad

Ida II
04-30-2015, 04:50 PM
Finally found an A-17 at the local Bi-mart store and couldn't wait to take her out. I took her home took her apart and gave her a good cleaning, mounted a scope and ready to go. Got to the range and got her sighted in after a few rounds. Shot a couple of clips full then the problems started. After the first 2 clips the 3rd clip full when trying to cycle a round in the chamber would fall out of the gun. We thought we had that problem taken care of by only loading 8 into the clip, then it would stay in. Then the trigger problem started. The trigger on my gun seemed to be stiff anyway but all of the sudden when you touched the accutrigger it would fire, next round the trigger would be stiff again for a couple of rounds then back to the touchy trigger. Then we couldn't get the slide to cycle and feed the next round into the chamber. The bolt would slide on top of the next round and dent it. Went though about 25 rounds fighting that and when we did get it to cycle we couldn't pull the trigger, like it was on safe or something. Called the Savage rep for the area and he gave me customer service and I told them what was going on and had a call tag the same day to send the gun back to Savage to look at. They have had the gun for a few weeks now and when I called them yesterday all they told me was they would get ahold of me in 3 or 4 weeks. Wondering if anybody else has had problems. Makes me want to go back to a bolt gun. O, by the way if you shoot your barrel out on your Savage gun they will not sell you a new one. Was told to go buy another gun.

J.Baker
05-01-2015, 03:32 AM
Just posted up my review on the homepage and it's far from exuding praise for the A17. It has promise, but Savage needs to work some bugs out of it yet.

Reeseman
05-01-2015, 11:24 AM
My nephew could not wait and had to have one . So far it has been problematic . It has fail to feed and eject problems . Accuracy is fair for an HMR but not near any of my bolt guns . The trigger is rough and does not respond to adjustments . Everything has been cleaned and lubed . He's contacting Savage in the next few days . It acts the same with the A17 ammo or regular Hornady ammo . The way it's built reminds me of my B Mag . Not much quality in the internals . The machining is rough .

Mike.h
05-01-2015, 11:35 AM
All these reports are short of high praise... I would really like to own one but I guess I'll wait until Savage refines this product.

Appleseed
05-02-2015, 10:21 PM
"refines this product" I agree!

Last summer picked up a very solid wood stocked CZ 22wmr. Has iron sights, shoots without jamming, wish it had a rotary mag. Barrel nut on the savage is interesting, but how much accuracy is promised in a semi-auto changing to an aftermarket barrel, and why the same old plastic stocks? However, 17hmr was never a problem to find during the "shortage." I'll wait a while to get a savage, unless CZ gets a 17hmr to the market.

Ida II
06-02-2015, 02:41 PM
UPDATE: Got an E-mail from Savage today and told me my gun was done and that I should see it by the 6th of June. Told me that it was repaired but didn't go into detail what they had found. The nice thing about where I purchased it is that they told me if it don't function correctly they would take it back. Cant say the same for Savage, they didn't want to address that issue.