PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Tool and Gauge bolt heads

Pages : [1] 2 3

OIF/OEF
04-29-2015, 08:33 PM
Are the Pacific Tool bolt heads stronger than the factory bolt heads.

sharpshooter
04-29-2015, 10:43 PM
No.

alphapygmy
04-30-2015, 12:45 AM
Just out of curiosity what are the advantages of these?

Hotolds442
04-30-2015, 04:43 AM
Is there an advantage?

Nor Cal Mikie
04-30-2015, 09:09 AM
The advantage of buying a PT&G bolt head is: you can get one made to fit custon made Wildcat cases like a PPC, 6.8 SPC or even a 17 VHA. (if you can stand the wait!!) Savage doesn't make them so you go custom made. Other folks besides PT&G will also make custom (modified) cut bolt heads.

Palmetto-Pride
04-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Just out of curiosity what are the advantages of these?

For me after I installed mine it took out a lot of the sloppiness compared to the factory bolt body and that was my only reason for buying it in the first place. I read a review of it on Midway and the guy said he felt like it reduced his sloppiness by 80% I don't know if I can make that claim, but I will say to me it is a night and day difference over the factory bolt body as far as the sloppiness/smoothness and was well worth the money. The fact that it is spiral fluted and looks cool is just a added bonus......:cool:

LoneWolf
04-30-2015, 05:01 PM
For me after I installed mine it took out a lot of the sloppiness compared to the factory bolt body and that was my only reason for buying it in the first place. I read a review of it on Midway and the guy said he felt like it reduced his sloppiness by 80% I don't know if I can make that claim, but I will say to me it is a night and day difference over the factory bolt body as far as the sloppiness/smoothness and was well worth the money. The fact that it is spiral fluted and looks cool is just a added bonus......:cool:

They're talking about bolt heads, not bolt bodies. Other than the custom sizes the only advantage is if your factory bolt head has a flaw of some type causing issues. Some call Savage to get it replaced, some call PTG. Savage requires an FFL or waiver in order to ship these parts though I believe. Sometimes you can just contact Numrich and get the part you need even quicker though.

alphapygmy
04-30-2015, 05:22 PM
I was wondering if they would be a viable option vs getting the firing pin hole bushed. I was getting some crater primering even on light loads and had Gretan bush the hole and it fixed the cratering. $80 for a bushing job vs ~$50 for a new PTG bolt head IF the firing pin hole is sized nice and tight. I have a PTG head in a box waiting I just have no way to measure the hole and nothing that needs a bolt head at the moment.

Palmetto-Pride
04-30-2015, 05:40 PM
They're talking about bolt heads, not bolt bodies. Other than the custom sizes the only advantage is if your factory bolt head has a flaw of some type causing issues. Some call Savage to get it replaced, some call PTG. Savage requires an FFL or waiver in order to ship these parts though I believe. Sometimes you can just contact Numrich and get the part you need even quicker though.

Opps overlooked that.............lol:confused:

LoneWolf
04-30-2015, 06:38 PM
I was wondering if they would be a viable option vs getting the firing pin hole bushed. I was getting some crater primering even on light loads and had Gretan bush the hole and it fixed the cratering. $80 for a bushing job vs ~$50 for a new PTG bolt head IF the firing pin hole is sized nice and tight. I have a PTG head in a box waiting I just have no way to measure the hole and nothing that needs a bolt head at the moment.

I've seen a few other posts over my time here about guys getter some primer cratering and the PTG Bolt Head Fixing their problem, but it is possible that Savage may opt to correct or sell you a new part as well. Also look at Gunshack (another sponsor of this site). I'm pretty sure the bolt heads they sell are OEM.

alphapygmy
04-30-2015, 07:04 PM
Already had Gre-Tan bush the stock bolt head. I was going to put in the PT&G just to see what happens but the rifle is shooting so well right now I'm not touching anything.

BarrelNuts
04-30-2015, 10:59 PM
Just make sure with the PTG if you go that route you reset the headspace; from what I understand it is slightly longer/thicker lugs than the OEM version.

alphapygmy
05-01-2015, 12:03 AM
Just make sure with the PTG if you go that route you reset the headspace; from what I understand it is slightly longer/thicker lugs than the OEM version.

I've heard that as well. I haven't even opened the box it came in yet and looked at it. Built a new rifle and that's got all my interest right now.

BillPa
05-01-2015, 02:04 PM
I was wondering if they would be a viable option vs getting the firing pin hole bushed. I was getting some crater primering even on light loads

Most cratering is the result of the pin tip profile and or any chamfer around the pin hole when using Savage bolt heads. Without getting into the details, I take a light across the face and re-contour the pin tip from a taper to a radius as SOP.

Bill

limige
05-01-2015, 06:36 PM
actually the savage piece is stamped the ptg is machined. the ptg will be more square and less stress. good option if you are truing the action up

fgw_in_fla
05-01-2015, 06:50 PM
Speaking of PTG, I ordered a couple of their bolt lift kits to try out. I'm interested in seeing if they will lighten up the lift on an already light lift bolt handle.

Any of you guys use their bottom metal & mag set up?
I just put a 300 Win Mag together and I'm thinking about adding the bottom metal & higher capacity mag.

Sorry OP....
I saw the PT&G name and had to ask while all the PT&G knowledgeable guys are here.

jonbearman
05-01-2015, 08:44 PM
I am amazed to find out via fred that the factory ones are stronger. I wish fred would elaborate on what makes the factory bolthead stronger,is it powdered metal?

BillPa
05-01-2015, 10:05 PM
I am amazed to find out via fred that the factory ones are stronger. I wish fred would elaborate on what makes the factory bolthead stronger,is it powdered metal?

I can't say with any authority what they're made of, but when I take a light cut across the face and or lugs it comes off like dust which would lead me to think they're machined and polished castings.

Some years ago the question was asked why there's a fillet( radius) at the junction of the shaft and lugs. My best guess, the same bit with a radiused tip was used to turn the shaft and lugs in the same setup.

Dunno!

Bill

sharpshooter
05-01-2015, 11:46 PM
The original question was:

Are the Pacific Tool bolt heads stronger than the factory bolt heads.
My answer was { No}
I don't know how one could misinterpret that meaning the factory bolt head is stronger. For all practical purposes they are made of the same material and the same strength.
Contrary to what has been said by persons promoting PTG bolt heads, factory bolt heads have NEVER been cast, sintered, or forged. First production bolt heads were machined from solid barstock until 1988. After that, extruded barstock was used to eliminate several machining operations and insure uniformity. Savage used this exclusively until a few years ago when they gained more vendors supplying bolt heads. Some are still made from extruded stock, some are made from solid bar. Bolt heads that have dimples machined on the tenon are made by vendors that use solid barstock. The number of dimples identify the vendor.
PTG bolt heads offer no advantage over a factory bolt head, strength wise or accuracy wise. The only advantages are availability of configurations not offered by the factory.

aqua9945
05-02-2015, 06:16 AM
"PTG bolt heads offer no advantage over a factory bolt head, strength wise or accuracy wise. The only advantages are availability of configurations not offered by the factory."
•••••••••••••••
Exactly. I wanted a SA magnum bolthead pushfeed to turn a savage model 12 LRP into a 7mm SAUM. I found one at Midway ( a PTG) and the project has been a total success. I would have been just as happy with a savage part but i could not , from Australia, find one on the internet. Anyways all well that ends well, the target rifle placed second in F open on its first outing and I have now tuned it to shoot like a 6BR on steroids :)