PDA

View Full Version : A17/A22 Series: New A17 probably going back to Savage

Poor Shot
04-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Bought an A17 (NIB, still sealed up) yesterday with ammo for it. Took it home, stripped it down and cleaned it. Loaded it (hard to get 10 rounds in the magazine) and stepped out the back door to shoot it. No scope on it, just wanted to see if it worked. Fired one shot and the magazine fell out. Replaced magazine and fired another shot and the magazine fell out. Fixed that and fired the rest of the rounds. Replaced the A17 ammo with Hornady 17 grain hmr vmax and all of them fired with no problems. I will be sending it back to Savage because when I pull the trigger it is not smooth. It feels like it is rubbing across a piece of sand paper. No, I didn't even touch the trigger assembly when I cleaned it. It was already clean and well oiled. Also, trying to adjust the AccuTrigger doesn't seem to do anything. This is just like one of my Bmags (I have three of them - I am a slow learner).

c414gr
05-05-2015, 04:17 PM
Bought an A17 (NIB, still sealed up) yesterday with ammo for it. Took it home, stripped it down and cleaned it. Loaded it (hard as Hell to get 10 rounds in the magazine) and stepped out the back door to shoot it. No scope on it, just wanted to see if it worked. Fired one shot and the magazine fell out. Replaced magazine and fired another shot and the magazine fell out. Fixed that and fired the rest of the rounds. Replaced the A17 ammo with Hornady 17 grain hmr vmax and all of them fired with no problems. I will be sending it back to Savage because when I pull the trigger it is not smooth. It feels like it is rubbing across a piece of sand paper. No, I didn't even touch the trigger assembly when I cleaned it. It was already clean and well oiled. Also, trying to adjust the AccuTrigger doesn't seem to do anything. This is just like one of my Bmags (I have three of them - I am a slow learner).

I'm in the same boat, I'm having trigger and mag issues that one refuse to deal with. I called Savage cs today and they were very helpful and agreed to fix the issues I'm experiencing with the gritty and stacking trigger as well as he mag falling out and improper feeding. They were even nice enough to send me a full length scope rail free of charge for my troubles.

Poor Shot
05-05-2015, 06:36 PM
I wish they would send me a scope rail. My scope sits so close to the plastic cover that I will probably have to take the scope off every I clean the gun. In reality, I will be satisfied If I just get a properly functioning rifle back before Labor Day.

03mossy
05-05-2015, 06:41 PM
These poor reports and these things are making me rethink wanting one of these... I held one today and it felt great but I think I'll hold out till the bugs are worked out.

Mike.h
05-05-2015, 07:17 PM
These poor reports and these things are making me rethink wanting one of these... I held one today and it felt great but I think I'll hold out till the bugs are worked out.

Me too. :-(

c414gr
05-06-2015, 09:50 PM
I wish they would send me a scope rail. My scope sits so close to the plastic cover that I will probably have to take the scope off every I clean the gun. In reality, I will be satisfied If I just get a properly functioning rifle back before Labor Day.

I'm sure if you call them up they'll send you one for your troubles. I'm an Appleseed instructor in training and the eye relief isn't consistent and I'll definitely need to add an adjustable cheek rest.

kmyers1408
05-26-2015, 03:16 PM
Hi, how did you fix the problem with the mag falling out. The only way I fixed it was to lock the charging handle back then the mag stayed in

Poor Shot
05-28-2015, 03:40 PM
It's not actually a 'fix', just a matter of paying attention to what I was doing. I was not making sure the magazine was 'firmly' and correctly inserted. It takes a little more pressure to do it right. I was expecting it to be as easy as some of my other rifles (my .17wsm and my Ruger 10/22). Savage still has the rifle. Haven't heard anything from them.

Eric A
06-01-2015, 08:48 AM
It's not actually a 'fix', just a matter of paying attention to what I was doing. I was not making sure the magazine was 'firmly' and correctly inserted. It takes a little more pressure to do it right. I was expecting it to be as easy as some of my other rifles (my .17wsm and my Ruger 10/22). Savage still has the rifle. Haven't heard anything from them.

Every Savage rimfire rifle I own and even my 452 CZs work the best when the bolt is pulled back. The magazine clip snaps up into position firmly...with the bolt closed the magazines don't snap up into position if I'm not careful when loading the rifle..

c414gr
06-03-2015, 07:07 PM

Mine went back to savage as well and I called yesterday and got an update that since this was such a new rifle the engineering team would be looking at the A17's that have been RMA'd. I was told that the turnaround was typically no more than 3 weeks. I'm now entering week 3 so we'll see what happens.

Poor Shot
06-07-2015, 05:09 PM
They have had mine for 4 weeks and 2 days.

Poor Shot
06-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Got it back today. The sheet that came with it says they head spaced it, polished the feed ramp, ground off some burrs, checked it for correct operation. No more trigger problem (I only fired ten shots out the back door to see if it worked). Now to put a scope on it and see if it (or I) can hit anything intentionally. Maybe by accident. At least they sent a spare magazine with it.

c414gr
06-23-2015, 10:36 AM
Mine went back to savage as well and I called yesterday and got an update that since this was such a new rifle the engineering team would be looking at the A17's that have been RMA'd. I was told that the turnaround was typically no more than 3 weeks. I'm now entering week 3 so we'll see what happens.

Just got the UPS notification that my A17 will be returned in two days let's hope they got it right.

Poor Shot
06-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Got mine back 0n 6/11/15. Put a Weaver scope on it that I have had for about two years but never used. Went to the range and fired a lot of rounds. The scope will not adjust either vertically or horizontally. CRAP!!! Went home and removed the scope and cleaned the rifle. At least the trigger seems to work okay now. Got a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X44 scope and put it on. Again went to the range and sighted in the gun with the new scope. Temperature yesterday at the range was about 95 with no wind. Found that when the gun gets hot, it turns into a single shot rifle. Sometimes it will eject a shell and sometimes it won't it won't. Sometimes it will feed in a new round and sometimes it won't. Sometimes the trigger won't reset (due to heat I assume). I let it cool down while I fired another rifle for a while. When I started firing it again, it was okay until it got hot again. It's also obvious it is not a 'tack driver'. Also at my age, I'm not a sniper.

EDIT: The CCI A17 ammo for this rifle is very dirty.......VERY dirty. Also, it blows so much out when it ejects the brass that I would not recommend it for a left handed shooter.

c414gr
06-24-2015, 10:30 PM
Just got mine back today and I have to say the trigger feels much improved, I won't be able to shoot it for a couple of days so until then I'll keep my fingers crossed. They did include an extra mag but the full length scope base they sent doesn't come close to fitting :(

c414gr
07-02-2015, 09:44 PM
I had a chance to take the rifle out and I must say I am now liking my A17. I can shoot the rifle accurately with consistency. I ended up ordering an EGW rail which made mounting my scope in the location I prefer a breeze. Now I just need to get the barrel threaded for my MysticX.

J.Baker
07-03-2015, 10:22 PM
EDIT: The CCI A17 ammo for this rifle is very dirty.......VERY dirty. Also, it blows so much out when it ejects the brass that I would not recommend it for a left handed shooter.[/COLOR]

Same exact thing I said in one of the other threads. I can only assume it's a few kernels of unburnt powder that would hit me in the face just under my right eye below my shooting glasses on occasion, but can't say for certain. As a lefty I ALWAYS wear eye protection when shooting RH semi-auto rifles for this very reason.

wavewasher
07-07-2015, 04:28 PM
Purchased rifle on July 4th. Cleaned, lubed, and re-assembled. Loaded the magazine. Installed it in the rifle with the bolt open. Released the bolt and the cartridge jammed part way into the barrel. Tried installing the magazine with the bolt closed with the same result. After twenty attempts and dented cartridges I gave up. Can't tell if it is a rifle issue or the magazine. So another unhappy customer contacting Savage service. And of course Savage is on vacation.

draidt
07-11-2015, 06:34 AM
Open the bolt ,when inserting the magazine really give it a hard push/slam at the front of the mag (barrel side).