PDA

View Full Version : update on " WTF Happened

rjtfroggy
04-27-2015, 01:21 PM
Well I went to the range with the Magneto-speed set up and shot mostly just to find out the fps but was still shooting as if on a group target(with a score target) FPS was 2886-2894, E D 8fps with an S D of 2 not to bad for consistency. Ten shot group with magneto on could be covered with a silver dollar(if I had one), actually much less. I took ten more shots with the Lapua brass and the group is covered by a quarter.
Ran the same test with the Win. brass FPS was 2863-2875 E D of 12 and S D of 4 still not to bad, I didn't even bother to try and cover the group, it was pretty close to the others. These were all ten shot groups. I will put the calipers to these just for my own piece of mind so I know if I'm ready for the actual matches or if I need more time to tweak the load.
Range conditions were very calm winds and bright sunshine early morning and about 45*, all shots were with about 2 minutes between shots,then a half hour break before the actual group for size was shot.I may play with this load for a while to see if I can improve on it but as it stands pretty happy where I am at the moment. The only thing I can figure out is the six months that I took off from shooting really screwed me up with trigger control and breathing and I need to get out and PRACTICE a whole lot more.
It will be a couple of weeks though because I have a new to me Striker that I bought in November that is just screaming to be shot and the 260 Rem. loads are done so they need to be emptied.
For all who shared their thoughts Thanks. I guess it just came down to getting old and forgetful. I can't even find my notes on what it was doing last year.

JW
04-28-2015, 06:19 AM
Glad you got it figured out
Your are not alone--It takes me several rounds ( and sometimes range trips) to settle back in the groove after a long stretch of not shooting
Have fun with the striker
Jack

Burr
04-28-2015, 01:13 PM
So the Lapua brass loads are running consistently faster by 20-25 fps than the WW brass used last year. That seems to support the case capacity in the Lapua is less than the WW brass, right?

Nothing changed in load workup from the last trip that had some fliers to account for improved grouping - except the shooter is dusting off the skills after a break? No powder charge changes?

Interesting. Something to be said for practice time at the range.

rjtfroggy
04-28-2015, 05:02 PM
Burr the ammo was from the same lot of 50 I loaded NO CHANGES, and case capacity is the only explanation for increased speed. Aside for a little better weather everything else was the same including the bench I shot from, concrete fixed.
The lay off was kinda forced I was/am trying to recover from my eighth lumbar surgery, fused from L3-S1 with rods and screws and this surgery plus my age surely isn't helping my marksmanship. I can tell you with out a doubt the rust is much thicker now than in the past and trying just to get comfortable at the bench is tough going, but it is not in my nature to think about a different game. I already gave up shooting clays on a regular basis because it was causing more damage to my low back.

yobuck
04-28-2015, 06:12 PM
Just for kicks, set a few of those loads aside for say another year. Then see if the velocity differs from what you got this time
which was different from last time. Even now, try pulling one of the bullets and see how much resistance you have.

GaCop
04-29-2015, 06:41 AM
What range were you shooting at?

rjtfroggy
04-29-2015, 09:11 AM
Yobuck I already saw that the Win brass that was loaded last Sept. is about 30 -35 fps faster than when loaded, I am guessing the heads are cold welding to the cases causing the higher speeds. I'm not pulling them apart, it is only a matter of a few clicks either way to bring them back to center and I can live with that or just hold off a hair and go with it.

GaCop I only have access to 2 ranges one is hundred yard which is where I shot the other goes to 200 yards and I won't get out there for a few more weeks, and by then I will have reloaded the Lapua and be shooting it for the second time.

yobuck
04-29-2015, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=rjtfroggy;316898]Yobuck I already saw that the Win brass that was loaded last Sept. is about 30 -35 fps faster than when loaded, I am guessing the heads are cold welding to the cases causing the higher speeds. I'm not pulling them apart, it is only a matter of a few clicks either way to bring them back to center and I can live with that or just hold off a hair and go with it.

I think your correct in that assumption as to whats causing the difference.
It can be more of a problem when using max loads. Last fall i was shooting at
rocks on the hill opposite our camp. I decided to burn up some ammo that had been
loaded for several years. The first round caused smoke from the action and a bolt i could
hardly open. The primer had blown and the neck seperated from the case. This is a load
weve been using for at least 10 years in 4 different guns belonging to both my sons and me.
I immediatly went inside the camp and pulled several bullets and weighed the charges.
It took a pair of dikes to grip the bullet enough to pull them. The powder charges were exactly
what they should have been. I then shot the same load with bullets that had been loaded very recently.
There were no issues at all as always. After discussing this with Bill and others it appears there is no cure except freshly loaded ammo.
Point is that there are many things to consider when attempting to get the perfect combination for maximum accuracy.
For me, id do as you suggested, hold off and send another round. Provided i could get the bolt open of coarse.

BillPa
04-29-2015, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=rjtfroggy;316898]Y I'm not pulling them apart/QUOTE]

You don't have to pull them apart, just seat them a thousandth or so deeper, they only have to move a hair. Most times you can feel them break loose and on occasion hear'm.

Bill

yobuck
04-30-2015, 09:16 AM
Well ive done that also Bill with the idea of saving the bullets.
But a gripper type puller still wouldnt hold the bullets tight enough.
Im sure moving the bullet as you stated would have an affect on pressure reduction and would be a wise move prior to shooting old ammo.
But again i think its best to load and shoot the same day if your looking for best performance.
My situation was no doubt an extreme example of the bullet welding itself to the case.
And since it was a hot load in a big case the results were more noticable.
Some individual cases no doubt grip tighter than others also and again will affect accuracy.

BillPa
04-30-2015, 11:43 AM
But a gripper type puller still wouldnt hold the bullets tight enough.
I

Been there dooded 'dat with my collet puller. When that happens I just turn the seater down a smiggon and break them all loose . It adds a step but its makes my life easier but more importantly, I don't use up my daily allotment of cuss words!:p

Bullet welding is a mystery. I've already pulled a batch apart where some were and others weren't even though they were all loaded the same time, same process, same components same everything. I'm start'n to think its the reloading Gods mess'n with us!

Bill