PDA

View Full Version : Shilen Match or Select match

wjchastain
04-27-2015, 01:00 PM
I am going to do a barrel swap on my 10P with a Shilen but I am not sure if it is worth the extra money to go with a Select Match over the Match. If any of you fine Savage Shooters have experience this problem I would appreciate your advice.

rjtfroggy
04-27-2015, 01:25 PM
If you are shooting matches you might see a difference but by the time you get your load developed you won't see a difference with groups or cleaning.

mike21
04-28-2015, 10:36 PM
This from Shilen's own website:

"Match Grade
Our Match Grade barrels don't quite meet Select Match criteria-- but not by much! In these barrels, the bore must measure within .0005" of our standard diameter and cannot vary in diameter more than .0003" for the length of the barrel. So how much accuracy does a couple of "tenths" give away, compared to our Select Match barrels? Perhaps not any! The point is, whether or not there is any real difference in the accuracy potential between the Match and Select Match grades, the really demanding shooter must play it safe and go with the higher grade. In many cartridges and barrel twists, the accuracy difference between the two simply can't be detected. So unless you're gunning for one-hole groups or just demand the top of the line, the Match Grade barrel is your best choice for many forms of competitive shooting and for hunting varmints and big game. The Match Grade is completely stress relieved and fully warranted. The price of Match Grade stainless steel barrels includes hand lapping to a beautifully smooth surface. Chrome-moly can be lapped to a similar finish at an additional charge."

BarrelNuts
05-04-2015, 06:41 PM
The difference between the two if you pick one up from Jim at Northland is $40 assuming everything else is the same. Just like keeping the original barrel nut/lug or upgrading to a heavy duty/precision machined nut/lug... may not be a huge difference but more exacting standards typically result in better results. Notice I said "Typically".

mattri
05-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Like most things it's a balancing act. Will there be an appreciable difference between the two? Maybe, maybe not- depends on a lot of variables.

Match gun where 1/8MOA makes the difference between winning and losing- maybe. Is everything else under your control squared away to narrow down that difference to a miniscule amount of barrel quality? Again, up to you.

Hunting rifle shot a couple times in the off season and then used on deer out to 300 yards?

What is the actual difference in accuracy? Can you tell that difference?

And do you want to wonder?

I just ordered a Shilen barrel for a hunting rifle. This will be for shooting large bodied game at moderately long ranges. Would a match barrel have delivered? Probably, yes. But I'm in no hurry and wanted to eliminate one more possible variable so I went select match. Will it ever matter? Who knows, but I won't have to wonder.