PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Semi Inlet Buttstock & Forend for a 99

Red Hill
04-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Could you point me at a supplier of semi inletted stocks and forends for an 1899?

I would also appreciate on the quality of work done by each. Extra wood on the inletting or exterior would be fine but I do NOT want any gaps or proud metal.

Thank you!

Lee Davis
04-27-2015, 07:34 PM
I am a manufacturer of Gunstock Carving Duplicators, but I am also a collector of Savage 1895, 1899 and 99 rifles. I tend to buy ones with broken stocks, for I can carve a new stock and forearm easily with one of my machines. Right now, I am doing my 1899 with octagonal barrel (made in 1906)... both the stock, and forearm. The rifle itself is beautiful... perhaps 95%, or a bit less, but it has the typical flaw, a badly chipped stock, right at the tang. I will do both the stock and forearm, so that the wood matches on both. I am thinking that I will start producing these matched pairs, for I am preparing a 1914 takedown, and have a 1924 99-D takedown and 1934 99-B that will be next. If I can get my arse in gear, I think it might be nice to provide other 99 folks with pairs of new stocks, for I know how it is to try to find something decent. I think it would be nice to buy a new stock that is precise and done, and with the necessary holes predrilled... maybe even finished. So much of what is out there is terrible! Seems that there are often no holes drilled, and it needs a professional stock fitter to make it work. But, I am taking it slow and steady, and learning the idiosyncracies of the 99's... after all, I have only done 2 of them up till now (both beautiful and perfect, and tight to the metal). I actually became interested in 1899's because of the classic flaw... a cracked butt stock... that is right up my alley. I am not sure if that is good or bad. I am not offering new stocks right now, I guess... but just want to make contact with other collectors, and maybe help in the future. My current carving job (when I am not in the shop making duplicators) is a 1930 vintage .22 H. Pieper that I am knocking out for my FFL... now, try to find someone who will do one of those! I am new here, but will try to post some pictures of the stocks I am working on, as soon as I figure out photobucket. Lee Davis

J.Baker
04-28-2015, 12:15 AM
Lee, please review our forum rules regarding manufacturers/vendors soliciting on this forum as your above post was in direct violation of them in several ways. I understand you're just trying to lend a hand here, but allowing such a post from a non-advertiser isn't fair to our paying advertisers.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?132-Manufacturers-amp-Vendors-Rules

yobuck
04-28-2015, 08:41 AM
Lee did shed some light on a proceedure possibly not known to some.
There are in fact people who own the type machines he mentioned called (duplicators)
They can duplicate any stock so long as they have the original stock or a pattern of the stock you want.
Some will have a supply of patterns of their own on hand. As a rule they do not furnish a completed stock,
just the unfinished product needing final inletting etc. Some stock makers use outside sources for the duplicating process.
Joel Russo for example recently mentioned here dosent own a duplicator. A google search should bring up some names of
those who do this type work. There are a few in PA im aware of.

Lee Davis
04-28-2015, 09:28 AM
Whoops... It was not my intention to blow my horn for my website (I deleted it), nor to generate business for myself... just trying to help. Lee

Red Hill
05-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Lee,

Sent you a PM.

J.Baker
05-03-2015, 05:28 AM
No problem Lee, I saw you were fairly new here so I just deleted the post rather than issuing an infraction. If you want to step up and help him out via Private Message that's great, just can't have it in the open forums.