PDA

View Full Version : First build done!

Pages : [1] 2

BarrelNuts
04-26-2015, 10:12 PM
Aside from some touch-up work (did duracoat on all parts when they were separate; scratched some off when torquing down the barrel nut) my first full-custom build is done! Still on the fence on optics but really pleased with how she turned out!

Started life as a Model 10 in .243...

Finished as follows:
.260 Rem. 26" Shilen Stainless Select Match varmint contour
B&C M-40 Style in OD/Black spiderweb
Weaver 20 MOA base
Cheap-o blackhawk bi-pod (will not be using much; most shooting done from bench or hunting stand)

With the stock upgrade also switched from blind mag to DBM (standard savage bottom metal)

All metal parts except bolt handle and base coated with dura-coat in Magpul FDE
Did some motivating on the magazine floorplate too...

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah181/mpstover1/IMG_0411_zpse0bss6jb.jpghttp://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah181/mpstover1/8d06cf26-b6ba-4a36-a9a5-a3f9f10e5e1b_zpswbwamazh.jpghttp://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah181/mpstover1/IMG_0417_zpszqgza3ge.jpghttp://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah181/mpstover1/IMG_0415_zpsdqzjrrg3.jpg

dougbug
04-26-2015, 11:54 PM
Very nice indeed!!

Hotolds442
04-27-2015, 12:33 AM
Looks incredible. The only thing I'd change would be a factory black front baffle and bolt head.

RatMag
04-27-2015, 07:28 AM
Very nicely done!! What optics do you have in mind for it??

DK

BarrelNuts
04-27-2015, 12:21 PM
Very nicely done!! What optics do you have in mind for it??

DK

Looking at the Vortex PST... but hearing they have reliability/tracking issues... really still wide open on the glass front

barrel-nut
04-27-2015, 12:47 PM
That's awesome man! Turned out great. Love the floor plate!

BarrelNuts
04-27-2015, 05:09 PM
Looks incredible. The only thing I'd change would be a factory black front baffle and bolt head.

Ooooh... or maybe replace the factory bolt head with a PTG bolt head... crap there goes another $60

Texanjohn
04-27-2015, 05:37 PM
That looks awesome I hope my first build comes out half as nice!

willyg09
04-28-2015, 01:54 AM
Very nice work, please let us know when you decide on an optic.

BarrelNuts
04-28-2015, 11:00 PM
Decided on an optic today... Going with the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 with EBR 2C MOA reticle. Looked through a few next to Leupolds and others at a LGS; features and quality for the price point are what is driving the decision, especially with their mil/leo discount program. Have heard about the issues some have had with them; but also heard about excellent customer service and warranty.

Watched quite a few you-tube videos of folks doing long range shooting.... sure seem to be a lot of PST's on top of rifles blasting milk jugs at 1k+

Palmetto-Pride
04-29-2015, 11:09 AM
BarrelNuts that rifle looks awesome! I have two Vortex Viper PSTs a 6-24 and a 4-16 both with FFP EBR-1 (MRAD) Reticles I've had them for about 3 or 4 years now and I haven't had any problems with mine I think you get a lot of scope for the price range they sell for.

BarrelNuts
05-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Got a package today... found something to occupy my spare time this weekend I think:
http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah181/mpstover1/0c18d341-d569-4e98-831f-dfef7eb52ff9_zpsfcazjqil.jpg

Kkern
05-02-2015, 05:49 AM
Outstanding build sir! The globe & anchor is icing on the cake !!!

BarrelNuts
05-02-2015, 10:06 PM
Thanks! Never thought I'd be able to pull it off... lots of help and recommendations from guys on the boards here as well as Jim at NSS. Hopefully before long I can get my optics in and work up some loads for it...

Kkern
05-02-2015, 10:15 PM
How did you "prep" the barrel and receiver for the Duracote..? I'm considering this myself.

BarrelNuts
05-02-2015, 10:49 PM
I started by roughing the surfaces with automotive sandpaper; 1000 grit or so. Then the action and other smaller metal parts I soaked in mineral spirits over a weekend when I had to be out of town. Hosed them off with some brake cleaner and wiped with lint free cloths and then right before coating did a wipe down with denatured alcohol and made sure I was wearing gloves when I handled the parts. I would say I went over-kill but wanted to make sure it came out well. I used the rattle-can version as I didn't want to invest in a decent airbrush and the price for the can-in-can aerosol was about the same as the shake-n-spray "aerosol" kit. If you purchase from Lauer directly they sell the rattle can with a can of their cleaner/degreaser... I found that Midway had just the finish cheaper (especially with shipping costs when I added a few other items I was ordering from them) so decided to use my multi-step treatment instead. To keep the spray from getting into the threads etc. I used frog tape and non-drying modeling clay. The modeling clay was a bit of a booger to clean out but did a great job of keeping the paint out of where I didn't want it to go. One thing to note and make sure of is that if you do the rattle can make sure its in a VERY well ventilated area; I tried to plastic drape a small garden shed and spray inside... ended up opening both doors and still think I killed a few brain cells. Another lesson I learned was at least on the action/barrel go ahead and assemble the entire thing and set your headspace before painting. Less taping/claying would be involved and you won't end up taking a chip out of the finish (doesn't fully cure for about 2 to 3 weeks according to the instructions) when you slide the barrel nut wrench over the nut. I ordered another can to do one last touch up to cover up my boo-boo but would have been better to assemble then paint.

RyanG
05-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Very nice! Just a question on the bolt body. How is the duracoat holding up there? I love the look and I have a couple of bodies that I was going to send off to be fluted but that may just work better.....

Again very nice build!!!!!!

Ryan

BarrelNuts
05-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Ryan,

I haven't really stressed it too much yet but it seems to be holding up well. The only spot I've noticed anything was right along the edge of where the cocking piece rides inside the bolt body there is some slight wearing however I would expect that since it is an edge that gets a lot of heavy wearing each time the bolt is cycled.

parksm7
05-21-2015, 06:20 PM
looks great! a lot like what I'm planning on doing. any reason you decided against coating the bolt face? i was going to coat mine on the sides except the actual face that comes in contact with the cartridge.

BarrelNuts
05-21-2015, 06:29 PM
looks great! a lot like what I'm planning on doing. any reason you decided against coating the bolt face? i was going to coat mine on the sides except the actual face that comes in contact with the cartridge.

I didn't want to run the risk of getting any of the coating on the bolt face plus when it is locked you can't see it... I also didn't do the baffle mostly because with the extra thickness in the channel it runs down I didn't want to add anything to that little lip and me the bolt too tight going down the rail.