PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Metal for B&C m40 Question

04-26-2015, 12:21 PM
Hey guys I just bought a B&C m40 for my 12fv top bolt release not realizing that it was made for bottom metal and not blind mag. Totally my mistake for not paying attention. I have been searching for the past couple of days to find good bottom metal that wont require a bunch of inletting, but haven't been able to find a definitive answer. Does anyone know if the PTG bottom metal is factory DMB inlet or not? The only reference I could find was in this post

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?36940-DBM-Bottom-Metal-Poll

and all it said was it was still unclear if it was or not. I have not been able to find anymore information about. I emailed B&C about it and all I got back was that the m40 is setup for factory inlet. Would the accuratemag bottom metal fit the m40 without major inletting? Would there be an advantage to one over the other? Obviously some people will recommend CDI, but I wasn't expecting to drop this extra money on a stock so cost is some concern.

BarrelNuts
04-27-2015, 05:36 PM
I would assume that if those bottom metals are set up to fit inside the factory stock inlet they would fit into the B&C M40. I ordered the factory bottom metal direct from savage and it fit perfectly into the M40 stock; very snug but no extra inletting or sanding needed. You may want to look into just going with the factory bottom if money is a huge concern; just my $.02

clintsrv
04-27-2015, 05:49 PM
Accurate Mag or CDI bottoms will work in the factory inlet. I've had both and like the CDI best.
Lite sanding may be in order to fit properly but either will work.

Buying the factory DBM or HFP bottom will probably be cheapest.

willyg09
04-28-2015, 02:03 AM
If you do decide to go cdi they will put your rifle together for free to insure it cycles correctly and all that good stuff.

If you decide to buy factory bottom metal I suggest you check the classifieds on snipershide, I seen one for sale two days ago there.

04-28-2015, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. I called CDI today and spoke with them about their bottom metal. I was told that their metal would fit, but it would requiring inletting. They are doing free inletting right now, I would just have to mail the stock and pay for return shipping. I thought I read that the stock savage metal uses new magazines that weren't compatible with AI mags. I want to make sure that the bottom metal I choose will use AI/Accurate metal mags... especially if the magpul AI style mags turn out to be good. I was considering PTG but I called them and they said that inletting would be required, but would not elaborate as to how much inletting would be needed, and if I could do it myself. After reading reviews for them it does not seem like I want to go through the hassle of trying that out. That leaves me with CDI and Accuratemag. Unless the accurate mag was a drop in fit it seems like CDi would be my best choice cause of the free inletting. The shipping might be cheaper than paying a gunsmith locally to inlet my stock, and everything I have heard and read about them is positive.

willyg09
04-28-2015, 09:53 PM
You are correct that the factory bottom metal does not accept AICS mags. The only positive I see with going the factory route is how cheap they are, otherwise I suggest CDI. Another thing you might look into is seeing if the place you bought the stock will swap out the one you have for the blind mag model.
I called a couple of gunsmiths near to me (Houston,TX) and they all wanted between 75-135$ to inlet my b&c for bottom metal, so for me the CDI still ends up being the cheapest route.

04-29-2015, 12:18 PM
I don't believe there is a blind mag option of this stock yet, and the thought of paying a restocking fee doesn't sit well in my brain. I have decided I am either going to try and sell it locally and buy something else or go with CDI bottom metal. If I'm going to put bottom metal into the stock and I'm going to be spending a bunch of money anyway, might as well get what I want upfront than get something I'll be disappointed with later. I'll chock this up to a life lesson about impulse internet purchases without doing enough research. Thanks for all the replies.