PDA

View Full Version : 338 Lapua Questiont

lrshooting
04-24-2015, 10:17 AM
I realize a guy started a thread already on this just a bit ago, but I didn't want to hijack.

But out of curiosity that may lead to me eventually building one, how good would the savage magnum action be for a 338 build? Im not sure ive heard enough good about them as far as accuracy (maybe it was the shooters?) to leave them be, so I thought I might find a used LRH or 110 BA and use the action as a donor. I wouldn't worry about it so much, except the entire gun from savage can be had for around 1200 I think on Buds for a LRH. Seems cheap and seems like corners may have been cut. That being said, savage makes great guns, but Ive heard their quality has gone down hill in some areas.

Now of course some may think "why are you thinking about building a gun that big?" Well, i wont depending on what the outlook after im out of college is. Ill just do a 300 WM or something if im gonna be only around here. If I enlist...338 LM is getting built one way or another and I may not even worry about how much it costs anyways then so worrying about savage magnum actions might be irrelevant. Wont be any time soon tho, I haven't even got my crazily over budget .308 done. Itll be 3 months before I even get my McMillan A5 and thats uninletted!

glennsjr
04-25-2015, 08:01 AM
This won't help you as far as the 338 Lapua but I just bought a 111 xp in 338 win mag that came with the Nikon Prostaff. !st I only bought the gun because I use to have an older 110 that was a very accurate gun but ended up selling it for rent money or something?? Anyway got the gun went to the range gave it a good cleaning and because I knew about the recoil made sure scope bases and rings are tight put scope back on. I had picked up some Horady Superformance 200 grain sst. The gun shot all over was hitting the paper but no rymn or reason shots were 2 to 3 inches apart. So I replaced the rings and bases with Leupold and remounted the same scope and boresighted. Went to the range and sent 5 rounds down range all five were 1 1/2 inches above the bullseye and could be covered with a quarter. Took it home cleaned it and put it in the safe. It does kick like a mule but it was fun to play with and other than the bases and rings I was impressed with the gun the scope and the ammo. I've recently started to buy Savages again and haven't got a bad one yet Good Luck in your quest

tammons
04-25-2015, 01:37 PM
A regular magnum action is not strong enough for the 338 Lapua.
Also not long enough.

The longer Rum and 375 H+H length magnum actions are also not strong enough.

If it were me and I was considering a 338L I would just buy a complete 338L rifle do all the accuracy stuff and put it in a different stock..

lrshooting
05-01-2015, 08:39 AM
A regular magnum action is not strong enough for the 338 Lapua.
Also not long enough.

The longer Rum and 375 H+H length magnum actions are also not strong enough.

If it were me and I was considering a 338L I would just buy a complete 338L rifle do all the accuracy stuff and put it in a different stock..

IIRC, the savage magnum action is the one they use on the 338. The long action is what they use on everything else like the 300 wm and what not. I just didn't know if it was truly heavy enough or if savage just threw something together. They do make good guns, I just have no expirence with something that big.

tammons
05-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Different stronger action on the 338L.

Savage would not take the liability of throwing something together.
You need to talk to SSS here as he is the expert and can explain exactly what they did.

Third hand but I read that SSS has seen the effects of running a 338 Lapua on a normal magnum action and you end up with lug setback.

Bolt thrust on a Lapua Magnum is around 25% increase over a typical magnum.

TRIGGER643
05-04-2015, 11:07 AM
I don't know as I'd be inclined to build a .338LM and here's why:

Last winter I looked at building a .338LM. During the course of my research; gathering prices, component sources, etc., my brother took the plunge and built his around a Surgeon action. About the time I was to pull the trigger I came across this article:

http://www.steyrarms.com/fileadmin/user/pdf/Steyr_vs_Savage.pdf

I tabulated the price of my parts list, sans action, smithing and optics and I was already over $1,400.00.

It wasn't Rocket Surgery for me to be able to determine there existed a huge disparity in return on investment.

I've had the chance now to throw 200 rounds out from 200 to 600 yards and with my hand loads I'm sub-MOA all day long out of my little $1,189.00 110BA. I've also had the opportunity to compare it side-by-side at the 600 yard line with my brother's rifle. Sure, his is prettier, probably has a better trigger, but for the price of a 2nd hand Winnebago, I'll allow him to keep his 0.20MOA accuracy superiority... until it comes time to rebarrel, that is.

Precision Family Picture (from top to bottom):

FNH/Winchester M70, Savage 112 BVSS, Savage 110BA, Tikka T3 Tactical.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/gcrookston/DSCN0831_zps99350847.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/user/gcrookston/media/DSCN0831_zps99350847.jpg.html)

WinnieTheBoom
05-04-2015, 11:59 AM
^^That's a 110FCP HS Precision, not the BA. Not that they aren't built on the same action, but the chassis is different.

Also, .300 win mag is just as good as the .338lm out to ~1,200 yards. The .338 really starts to shine beyond that. So unless you're shooting those distances consistently, or have a need for such a big rifle/calbier, stay in the .30 caliber family - save more money, enjoy comparable ballistics and accuracy, etc.

mattri
05-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Have you looked at the 338 Edge?

TRIGGER643
05-04-2015, 08:14 PM
^^That's a 110FCP HS Precision, not the BA. Not that they aren't built on the same action, but the chassis is different..... Yep, sorry. Mistake. Here's the same rifle after I got the permanent optics mounted.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/gcrookston/DSCN08511_zpsy7gufnln.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/user/gcrookston/media/DSCN08511_zpsy7gufnln.jpg.html)

lrshooting
05-06-2015, 12:00 PM
I don't know as I'd be inclined to build a .338LM and here's why:

Last winter I looked at building a .338LM. During the course of my research; gathering prices, component sources, etc., my brother took the plunge and built his around a Surgeon action. About the time I was to pull the trigger I came across this article:

http://www.steyrarms.com/fileadmin/user/pdf/Steyr_vs_Savage.pdf

I tabulated the price of my parts list, sans action, smithing and optics and I was already over $1,400.00.

It wasn't Rocket Surgery for me to be able to determine there existed a huge disparity in return on investment.

I've had the chance now to throw 200 rounds out from 200 to 600 yards and with my hand loads I'm sub-MOA all day long out of my little $1,189.00 110BA. I've also had the opportunity to compare it side-by-side at the 600 yard line with my brother's rifle. Sure, his is prettier, probably has a better trigger, but for the price of a 2nd hand Winnebago, I'll allow him to keep his 0.20MOA accuracy superiority... until it comes time to rebarrel, that is.

Precision Family Picture (from top to bottom):

FNH/Winchester M70, Savage 112 BVSS, Savage 110BA, Tikka T3 Tactical.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/gcrookston/DSCN0831_zps99350847.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/user/gcrookston/media/DSCN0831_zps99350847.jpg.html)Yes, you are 100% correct. Thats simply the nature of the build. Its pretty hard to keep a build under what a factory rifle costs when you are building for performance. I could make the weapon "cheaper" by getting a used action, less quality barrel, maybe make a wood stock, single power scope, etc, but my accuracy may be >1 MOA.

That being said, I know I didn't make it clear just for my own reasons, but my OP said I would just build a 300 wm if I was going to stick around home. If I "enlist", thats when a 338 LM is getting built either way. My life and my buddies life and the guy that could be 1500 yards away are worth a few thousand on a gun im pretty sure. Im not letting the whole story on, I know, but you get the point. Im not sure as of now, just getting some ideas.