PDA

View Full Version : Barrel length and harmonics. Shorter or longer?

PaddyD
04-24-2015, 06:46 AM
I'm thinking of a newer, better barrel for my old FP. My question to the experts is what length should I get? I'm leaning towards a 6mmPPC. The furthest I ever anticipate shooting is 'maybe' 300M and 99% of the time at 100M . So, would I benefit from a shorter stiffer barrel with possibly tamer harmonics so as to ease on some of the many variables with load development? Or will the shorter length kill my velocity and accuracy? In short, what length, twist rate and contour do the 'experts' with more experience than myself recommend for obtaining the best accuracy with the least effort? I want this to be a one time purchase as I'm not wealthy by any means. This will be strictly a bench rifle so weight isn't a factor.

I welcome any and all input and advice so feel free to school me and tell me what I should or shouldn't do.
Thanks

Jamie
04-24-2015, 09:05 AM
Short barrels do not kill accuracy and depending on cartridge, velocity may not suffer as much as people think. For the yardage you are shooting I would go with a bull barrel in the 18" to 20" length and any twist you wish. ALOT of people are going to tell you that you need a 1:8 twist but for 300 meters and in that simply is not true and at those distances a slower twist using flat base bullets usually give the better accuracy. I shoot a lot of short barrels out to 1K and have not had an issue with accuracy.

barrel-nut
04-24-2015, 11:29 AM
^^^ditto exactly what Jamie said^^^^
May I suggest, unless you really have your heart set on the PPC, that a 6BR would fit your requirements very very well, leave little to nothing on the table as far as accuracy to the PPC, and it would be a lot easier and cheaper to get set up for. The PPC uses a non-standard bolt head, which can be sourced but is not widely available. The 6BR uses a standard .473 diameter head, same as .308-family cases. Brass is also much cheaper and easier to source than the PPC. The PPC is based on the .220 Russian case and will require some prep work, unless you're willing to pay $$$ to have a pro do it for you. Lapua 6BR brass is available from any major retailer, and can be had for around $80/100, or less when on sale. It can be loaded straight out of the bag.
Nothing wrong with a 20-22" heavy barrel. Very stiff with plenty of velocity for your intended ranges. Then again, there's nothing wrong with a 26" bull for a bench rifle, and it would probably be available off the shelf from Northland or McGowen. A shorter, slower twist barrel will be a custom, that will require a longer wait and more $$$.
It really just comes down to what you intend to do with it. If you intend to compete in registered benchrest (short-range), you're probably better off spending your money on a good used custom rifle in 6PPC. Check the classifieds at Benchrest Central. For all other purposes, up to and including casual competition on up to 600 yd. F-class, I'd stick to the 6BR. You can read about all this ad nauseum at 6mmbr.com.

Teslawhiskey
04-24-2015, 11:44 AM
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/10/daniel-zimmerman/the-truth-about-barrel-length-muzzle-velocity-and-accuracy/

I found this to be an interesting article on barrel length.

PaddyD
04-24-2015, 12:11 PM
^^^ditto exactly what Jamie said^^^^
May I suggest, unless you really have your heart set on the PPC, that a 6BR would fit your requirements very very well, leave little to nothing on the table as far as accuracy to the PPC, and it would be a lot easier and cheaper to get set up for. The PPC uses a non-standard bolt head, which can be sourced but is not widely available. The 6BR uses a standard .473 diameter head, same as .308-family cases. Brass is also much cheaper and easier to source than the PPC. The PPC is based on the .220 Russian case and will require some prep work, unless you're willing to pay $$$ to have a pro do it for you. Lapua 6BR brass is available from any major retailer, and can be had for around $80/100, or less when on sale. It can be loaded straight out of the bag.
Nothing wrong with a 20-22" heavy barrel. Very stiff with plenty of velocity for your intended ranges. Then again, there's nothing wrong with a 26" bull for a bench rifle, and it would probably be available off the shelf from Northland or McGowen. A shorter, slower twist barrel will be a custom, that will require a longer wait and more $$$.
It really just comes down to what you intend to do with it. If you intend to compete in registered benchrest (short-range), you're probably better off spending your money on a good used custom rifle in 6PPC. Check the classifieds at Benchrest Central. For all other purposes, up to and including casual competition on up to 600 yd. F-class, I'd stick to the 6BR. You can read about all this ad nauseum at 6mmbr.com.

You are so correct. I don't know why I said PPc. I was actually thinking of the 6mmBR. Thanks for pointing that out.

short round
04-24-2015, 10:23 PM
6PPC & 6BR brass is available from Norma, 6BR from Lapua. I have a 6BR 8 twist 26'' Shilen that shoots 68gr to 107 gr very well. My 6PPC is Savage short action stagger feed mounted in a bench rest stock, with 24" 14 twist Shilen shoots great also. Also have a BAT S, 6PPC 21 1/2" Krieger 14 twist, that shoots 68gr Barts bullets, if I don't shoot small groups with it, I'm doing something wrong.

Stork
04-28-2015, 05:30 PM
21 3/4" according to this article on the Houston Warehouse.

I remember reading this in Precision Shooting years ago & it still impresses me.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/max357/houston.html

If 300 yds is about the max, and you're looking at a 6br or 6PPC case capacity. I'd look hard at not trying to reinvent the wheel. Those benchrest boys threw thousands of $$ at researching this with some incredibly accurate rifles.

Allen