PDA

View Full Version : Cocking Indicator / Bolt Release Issue

WinnieTheBoom
04-23-2015, 11:35 PM
Just got my action back from the gunsmith and have a dumb question about re-installing my stock.

I can't get the cocking indicator/bolt release to hold the bolt in the gun. When I slide the bolt in and I manually pull up the release, it will stay until I pull the trigger, at which point it will fall again and the bolt is free to come out. The bolt seems super loose with the action closed, so I'm sure something is not right. I did install a new bolt handle, so maybe it's a bolt assembly issue? Stock was off so maybe something the release got misaligned somehow and won't engage the safety mechanism now? I'm at a loss.

I know this is going to be something really dumb and obvious but it's been a long week.

Thanks for the help.

sharpshooter
04-24-2015, 12:55 AM
Is the sear return spring there?

lrshooting
04-24-2015, 10:47 AM
Im kind of thinking what sharpshooter is saying. Since the sear is part of the bolt release, it should go down, but only for a split second. Savage bolts, btw, are not that tight. At least mine isn't compared to my rem 700. Tight can be nice feeling, but mine gets stiff in the winter and I really like my savage then. More reliable with mud and snow IMHO and no accuracy affects as far as I can tell.

WinnieTheBoom
04-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Is the sear return spring there?

It's there alright but my supposedly "competent" gunsmith put it in backwards:mad:

I knew it was going to be something really stupid, I looked at it for like an hour last night and could not figure it out for the life of me. What happens when you work 12 hour days I guess. Thanks man.