PDA

View Full Version : Target action??

Nor Cal Mikie
05-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Does anybody know if the "external" demensions (except the ports) of the Target actions are the same as the other actions?
The reason I ask is because I have 2 Model 12 single shots, 1 Model 12 left repeater and a Model 16 repeater right hand and they are all the same specs.
All have the round rear. All are the Accu Trigger. All the same length.
They are all listed as "short actions" by Savage. The lefty is the CF and the 16 is a SF.
The problem I'am running into is finding a "Leupold" type 1 piece base. On the short action mounts, the cut out in the mount is smaller than the opening in the action body. I'am thinking it should be "at least" the same size?
2 front and 2 rear mounting holes and the short action mount only covers 1 rear hole. Doesn't look right to me so I'am trying to compare the specs of the different actions. Anybody got the Target action to compare? Thanks, Mike.

Blue Avenger
05-17-2010, 07:46 PM
That is the way Louie makes them. Bought one and had no problems with function. replaced it anyway with something more appealing. Just looks 1/2 baked and untrustworthy. Wonder if they would sell more it they were not trying to save a dime.

Nor Cal Mikie
05-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping you might jump in here. I remember you mentioning your single shot rigs.
What I did on my "J" series was have a "Leupold" mount custom made by Dan Armstrong in Alsaka. I sent him a selection of mounts and he cut and welded up a mount that looks like it was factory made. Did a super job.
I have sent back the short action mounts that I got and reordered a couple of long actions to see if they fit better.
I like the Leupold type mount because of the windage adjustment and one with the proper fit sure would be nice. I sent a note to Leupold so I'll see what they have to say.
With the Savage Target action being so popular you would think Leupold would be all over it? In my thinking, they're missing the boat. With the 4 newer Accu Trigger actions that I have, I could start they're sales off real quick.
I might be beating a dead horse but I'll keep after it till it starts to stink. ;)

Nor Cal Mikie
05-18-2010, 11:41 AM
I was finally able to get Leupolds chart to come up and it looks like the # 55726 is a 1 piece base in Silver is for the short action, round back Accu Trigger action.
They don't show one in Silver for the same action in left hand. Might need to round up a batch of pieces and ship them to Dan and have him put one together.
They show one in "gloss" for the lefty action. (#55731)
I'll know more for sure when I get one in my hands to check fitting.

pdog06
05-18-2010, 02:47 PM
The target actions port is smaller and it doesnt need a port cutout at all, so I think the Leupy 1pc base might look funny anyway.

I took all mine off my repeater actions and replaced them just for the reasons you stated. Only utilizing one of the 2 rear screw holes is stupid IMO. Cant think of any logical reason as to why they would make it like that.

Nor Cal Mikie
06-16-2010, 08:54 AM
And now for the rest of the story!
Got the "special ordered" Leupold mounts that are supose to fit the Target/Repeater/Single shot actions?? No way Jose! Packed them up and sent them back. The cut out in the mount looks like it's a "one size fits all" type of setup. The screw holes don't match up on the actions. The price was right but that doesn't help.
Ordered up a Bench-Source standard MOA base. Got a couple of leads on some Kelby rings.
No matter how the mounts fit, if they don't "look good" they're not worth having.
No use going through all the trouble of building a rig if it "just doesn't look right".
Leupold is missing the boat "BIG TIME"!! From the pictures that I've seen, the Bench-Source base is the only one piece base that fits like it's suppose to.

pdog06
06-16-2010, 03:02 PM
From the pictures that I've seen, the Bench-Source base is the only one piece base that fits like it's suppose to.

I have a Bench-Source base and it is very nice fit. You'll like it, but it is a bit taller than other bases.
Ken Farrell also makes a "target" model that is especially for the target action. It has no cut-out at all.
The Warne tactical base fits it pretty good also. It has a port cut-out but it is shorter than others so it doesnt show as much.

heres the benchsource base
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/pdog06_photos/Disney2010592.jpg

heres the Farrell "target"
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/pdog06_photos/Jan2010004.jpg