PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 build/stock question

keving91982
04-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Hello All,

This is my first post on the boards. I'm trying to my first build off of a Stevens 200 308 that I recently acquired. I have started researching different barrels, stocks, etc. My first question is about the stock. When I took the current stock off the rifle, I noticed the blind magazine stays in the stock. Would you guys take that out, and put into a new stock or purchase a new assemble for that? Right now I'm leaning towards a Bell and Carlson Medalist fully adjustable A5 model.

I feel like I have a decent understanding of the build process. This blind magazine just has me a bit puzzled. Thanks in advance for the help and or suggestions!

jpdown
04-23-2015, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure if the Savage B&C Medalist A5 has a blind magazine or Savage DBM inletting?

The Stevens 200 you have is a short action, center feed with blind magazine and top bolt release. So the stock hole spacing is 4.40". If you want to convert to a Savage SA DMB, you will need a metal SA frame assembly (surround) and a SA metal bottom cap. The bottom cap attaches to your current SA metal magazine box and follower. It will then latch into the Savage SA DBM frame assembly. Any aftermarket stocks inletted for Savage SA, CF, DBM, TBR models (10, 11, 14, 16) will work. You'll also most likely want an old-style Savage metal trigger guard. If so, make sure you get the correct frame assembly with the thicker rear lip that works with the old-style Savage TBR trigger guard.

keving91982
04-23-2015, 03:57 PM
I found this in another thread. See below. So basically to make the rifle have a detachable mag, I'll need a DBM frame, a new trigger guard, and a magazine bottom. Sound right?

Savage factory steel SA centerfeed DBM frame (top bolt release): https://store.savagearms.com/frame-a...matte-dbm.html
Savage factory steel matte triggerguard (top bolt release): https://store.savagearms.com/trigger...-matte-at.html
Steel frame DBM steel magazine bottom: https://store.savagearms.com/mag-bot...matte-dbm.html

You can simply purchase the steel magazine bottom and install that on the mag well/follower that came with your rifle.

keving91982
04-23-2015, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure if the Savage B&C Medalist A5 has a blind magazine or Savage DBM inletting?

No it's the blind mag. I wasn't sure if I could convert it to DBM so I was going with that stock. However I would much rather have a DBM so hopefully I can convert to that.

jpdown
04-23-2015, 08:19 PM
I don't believe B&C offers a Savage SA stock inletted for the Savage factory DBM assembly. They only offer blind magazine stocks for the Savage action.

However, any factory or aftermarket stock inletted for a Savage SA, CF DBM assembly with top bolt release will fit a Stevens 200 SA, CF with TBR. To find the DBM conversion parts you need, go to the Savage Arms web page, open the store tab, then the partfinder tab and use this serial number #G800701. It will open up the parts schematic for a Savage 10 SA, CF, TBR rifle which uses the DBM parts you will need to convert. Click on the parts and it will pull up the part number and allow you to order online direct from Savage. That's the easiest way to get the parts you need quickly and only have to pay shipping cost once.

You have found the parts you need and listed them above. You will also need the shorter front stock screw shown if you switch to a DBM stock. Your current SA blind magazine box and follower snap onto the matte metal magazine bottom and convert it to a DBM which latches into the metal SA DBM frame assembly (surround).