PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 build project

chicken fried
04-22-2015, 04:03 PM
I'm sure this has been posted before but I'm interested in using a Shaw barrel kit from Midway and was wanting yalls ideas on those kits. Are the barrels good quality? This is for hunting only. Thanks

WinnieTheBoom
04-22-2015, 04:37 PM
The general consensus will be that there are better barrel options (Bartlein, Shillen, etc.), but the Shaw barrels are decent enough, especially for hunting applications... If you were looking for the best precision possible out of an aftermarket barrel, however, I would tend to point you in a different direction. Just my .02, I'm sure others will chime in as well.

darkker
04-22-2015, 06:37 PM
You plan on being a serious competitor in something like the PRS series? Then look elsewhere.
Anything short of that, they are perfectly fine. While not from Midway, I've bought several Shaw barrels over the years. Most recently a Creedmoor I built on an XL7 action. When I took it out of the box and cleaned it I noticed a slight tight-spot near the muzzle. Cleaned it, and started shooting. That rifle gets shot to a mile, and provided I do my part, will happily hold MOA.

chicken fried
04-24-2015, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm just deer hunting and the farthest I'm shooting is 250 yds. My caliber is 358 win. I have one and want to build another.