PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: 99 saddle ring carbine rebarreled to 300 Savage - concerns?

NV28217
04-21-2015, 01:57 PM
Fellow Shooters
I can bid on a badly bruised saddle ring carbine, year of manufacture 1910 according to the savage99 webpage. Serial no 103xxx (six digits). No pistol grip. Chambered in 300 Savage with what looks like an original Savage barrel. As .300 Savage was not introduced until 1920 it must be rebarrelled. Guess it started out as a lower pressure caliber. Will the receiver withstand the more modern .300 savage respectfully loaded to "moderate" modern pressures?

Can anyone give me info on what caliber this gun was when it first left the factory? Anything else of interest would be appreciated.

When time comes and my license is issued I will share with you a pics of another Savage 99 in .243, very nice original condition still with original Redfield 4x scope that I have picked up for $200 here in Denmark where Savage 99s are very scarce.

Happy shooting
Niels

Mad Dog
04-21-2015, 07:45 PM
Neils, I'd stay away from that one, I have alarms going off when I hear stuff like that.

You mostly read about Savage starting to heat treat the receivers around 90.000 but there is a rumor that it never really started till serial 110.000.

I wouldn't trust running the hotter 300 Sav in those receivers but that's just my opinion.

NV28217
04-22-2015, 12:55 AM
Thanks Mad Dog - will wait until something better comes up. Incidentally I found out how to copy the link to the auction in case anyone is interested in seeing the pics.
http://www.lauritz.com/en/auction/riffel-savage-arms-kaliber-300-savage-lever-action-lade/i3804846/

Best
Niels

Mad Dog
04-22-2015, 11:14 AM
Oh ya, definitely stay away from that, it's been buggered with big time.

See the barrel address stating "Westfield, Mass"? That's means that barrel was made after 1960. The front sight gives it away as well.

Someone must have went through a whole lotta work to make that barrel fit because a Westfield barrel has V threads and the old 99 pre 1960 barrels had square threads.

NV28217
04-27-2015, 02:05 PM
Hello MadDog
Thanks again! Some poor fellow just bought it for the equivalent of US$600. Unless saddle ring carbines are worth a lot even in that sorry state it looks like a bad case of auction-frenzy. If it really is worth that kind of money I hope the gun ends up with someone that will do a proper restoration job on it. The Savage 99 are really great guns - never held one in my hands until six months ago and fell in love instantly in spite of it being a clip mag version. They do turn up from time to time even though they are very uncommon in this country.
Best regards
Niels

Lee Davis
05-18-2015, 02:15 PM
http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/radarcarve1/media/crack%20rec_zpsop1qmg2s.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0I am curious... What is it about a replacement barrel that makes it unsafe? It seems to me that a .300 in a .300 chamber with the bolt seated should be fine, no matter what the receiver is. Am I wrong? As I understand it, Savage started hardening receivers to prevent the common cracks that came about on the left rear when the stock would be wacked sideways... which also cracked the stock.