PDA

View Full Version : Please help me... Old Model 110 L/D repair.... Probably pre 1960

Foxtrot92000
04-21-2015, 12:12 PM
So..... I made a boo boo. My Dad has this Old Savage, Model 110 L/D chambered in .270 Winchester and I was trying to do something nice for him. I wanted to take the gun apart to clean it thoroughly, as in take the barrel and action out of the stock. I was not wanting to disassemble mechanisms, just give the rifle a good cleaning. My dad is awful at Firearm Care, and doesn't even clean the barrel, scope, stock, etc and lets it stay out in the garage year round. (We live in Missouri so there is a lot of humidity) Anyways, When I took the screws out of the bottom of the stock to remove the barrel and action, I found the stock stuck to the barrel. I was not really surprised, since I knew it has not been removed or cleaned in 30 years plus. However, when I went to get them apart, I became very surprised out how stuck they were. No amount of juggling, wiggling, or gentle persuasion could coax them apart. So, I grabbed the barrel by the forend with one hand and the fore end itself with the other and pulled apart. At first, they still would not come apart and increased my pull. Then, all of a sudden, they came a apart and I heard a loud snap.

The trigger got wedged in the trigger guard and snapped in half.

Now I have called Savage, they have no idea how old this rifle is or what/if any 110 trigger available now would fit it. They told me to call Gun Parts Corp and ask them. I called and asked them and they have no idea either. I did a little checking/research and I discovered this forum and a thread involving aging the 110's. At my best guess, it would appear my dads 110 is a 1960's or 1950's model.

I will have a qualified gunsmith do the work, but are there any parts available to fix this, or what should I do??????

BTW: The Serial Number is: 106908, Labeled a 110/LD, Chambered in 270 Winchester, and the barrel appears to have (26U) in the oval on the top of the receiver. The right side of the magazine box shows grind marks and does not have the clip looking thing attached, and the stock appears to have been inletted with a stone tool reminiscent of the stone age.... My original goal was to clean the rifle up to help my dad's accuracy, and I have went and ruined it. I have to get this fixed. Please, help me figure out what trigger I need, or how to go about getting my hands on a pre 1968 trigger......

One Last Thing.... Savage was unable to locate any info on the serial number, saying their system only goes back to 1995, and they do not know anything about their firearms from before then. When I was on the phone with Savage, and I did not get any answers, I asked if this meant I had a broken rifle that had no way of being repaired. The Customer Service Rep said, "I guess So. Have a nice day." I was not aware any company had a rep that would say that. I have a couple savage rifles myself, including a savage Axis and a Savage MK II .22. They are both good guns, but I don't like the idea of a company not at least being sympathetic towards their customers. I understand a 50+ old rifle is different than a 5-8 year old rifle, but still.

Anyways, Thanks for listening to me ramble. If you can help me in any way, please let me know. I'm not too worried about Cost, I will fix this one way or another.

----Alex Friedrich

Mach2
04-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Model 110 was 1st sold in 1959

p-c-j
04-21-2015, 03:58 PM
I suggest taking it to a good gunsmith parts shouldn't be much of a problem and he would be able to tell the model and which parts are needed.Photo's would help so we could see what parts are broken.

gghbi
04-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Using the history section of this site, the 26U makes this a 1967 production gun. The s/n also supports this if there is no letter prefix. Hope this helps a bit. As stated earlier a picture or two would be worth a fortune in further evaluation. Good luck, this should be something that can get fixed.

J.Baker
04-22-2015, 03:08 PM
It's a 1967 production.

As for Savage's CS, you have to know the history to understand why they have no info and won't do anything for Savage firearms made prior to 1995. It has to do with ownership changes and the deal struck when the company was purchased while under bankruptcy protection. In short the perspective new owners didn't want to have to warrant or service those guns made prior to the date they bought the company for financial and liability reasons so that was part of the purchase agreement.

You also have to realize the folks manning the phones at Savage have minimal training and most know little to nothing of the companies history. Like most CS operators, they only know what the computer in front of them tells them, and if your question isn't something the computer can give them an answer for they don't know what to do or say other than "sorry, can't help ya".