PDA

View Full Version : PT&G Nat Lambeth bolt kit

willyg09
04-21-2015, 08:13 AM
Has anyone used the new bolt kit from PT&G?
http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=308_129_130_133&products_id=1996

Im working on a model 11 Hog Hunter build and planned on ordering the bolt body from them but noticed this yesterday when I was on their site. Its mighty expensive and I cant find any reviews that vouch for it yet so I thought I would ask here. I also noticed they have different fluting options.

The stock bolt is frustrating me to say the least. Im trying to get my hands on a good caliper to measure which o.d I will have to get it ground to to eliminate the slop that drives me crazy when cycling. I see the PT&G has a different cocking pin which is a plus for me as I noticed my stock one sits crooked (works fine but is unsightly).

Any thoughts would be great.

Teslawhiskey
04-21-2015, 08:47 AM
I'm in the same boat as you. Hopefully someone will chime in. The bolt is the last part of my build.

willyg09
04-21-2015, 09:11 AM
I sent PT&G an email a couple hours ago asking for the correct way to measure our actions to determine which grind, asked for pictures of the different flute options, and of course lead time to ship.
Reviews will have to come from users here as I couldnt find much of anything anywhere else

foxx
04-21-2015, 10:06 AM
I have never bought any aftermarket bolt kits or parts. I have had actions T&T'ed by Fred at SSS. The T&T makes them cycle much better, but does not help with the "slop." (it isn't supposed to).

Having said that, I did buy a used action from a good member here that had an aftermarket bolt face installed before Fred T&T'ed it and a "do-it-yourself" "lift kit" made from a pistol case and ball bearing. There's no slop and it cycles great. The action appears to have come off of a Hog Hunter b/c the bolt is black from the factory.

If all my actions were this good, I'd be geeked. I really don't know how an aftermarket bolt body would make it any better. If I were you, before I'd spend any real amount of money on a bolt body, I would try it to duplicate this one.

1. replace bolt head with "tighter" aftermarket one
2. install homemade bolt/lift kit (the BAS must be shortened/ground smooth and true to make up for the added "bulk" of lift kit
3. Have Fred do a T&T job on it

it might surprise you.

The only issue/risk I see to doing it this way is, adding a new/different bolt body AFTER the T&T might mess up the T&T job, and I don't know what Fred would have to do to make it right. There might be a limit to how many times he can re-work and refine the same action, I don't know. Another thing to consider (and I am only speculating here), is any of the "slop" in that remains in the action that could be contributed to the bolt body might be the very thing that makes the Savage so accurate. I suspect it all contributes to the concept of the "floating" bolt head concept. So, if I am correct, it's possible that you might want to be careful about what you ask for in this regard. Maybe we should just accept it for what it is. ????

missed
04-21-2015, 10:26 AM
I thought about sending it out for the t&t but the challenges that SSS has had I'm Leary about sending a gun to them.

Fred did tell me a bolt body swap will require the TT to be re preformed.

I have a newer action with the firing pin through the BAS so the 38 case and bb does not work on my gun.

The amount of bolt slop in my gun I can deal with. I have smoothed out the square edge on the action where the bolt runs. That has made smoother bolt running. I have the fishnet bolts on my guns and love them. I keep thinking about getting the ptg bolt heads also since there precision ground which should make a smoother operation also.

foxx
04-21-2015, 10:46 AM
Missed, maybe on another thread, can you tell me more about what you did to the rails? How did you "smooth out the square edge" and what edge are you referring to?

Teslawhiskey
04-21-2015, 12:02 PM
missed
I did my lift kit with a small bearing and two races (washers) from MSC. I can post pics and part numbers when I get home.

I'm probably going with PT&G bolt face and bolt. I'm just wondering if ordering one complete is worth the extra money. I asked Lisa about T&T when I ordered my trigger and while I would like it done I just can't right now because of the lead time.

missed
04-21-2015, 12:31 PM
missed
I did my lift kit with a small bearing and two races (washers) from MSC. I can post pics and part numbers when I get home.

I'm probably going with PT&G bolt face and bolt. I'm just wondering if ordering one complete is worth the extra money. I asked Lisa about T&T when I ordered my trigger and while I would like it done I just can't right now because of the lead time.
I have the newer bolts that the firing pin protrudes out the back of the screw so the typical bolt lift kit does not work.

Teslawhiskey
04-21-2015, 12:37 PM
I have the newer bolts that the firing pin protrudes out the back of the screw so the typical bolt lift kit does not work.

Gotcha, the bearing and washer I used have holes in the middle so I thought they might work. I don't know what your style looks like. Hope you find something that works.

missed
04-21-2015, 05:42 PM
After talking to Nat today he said on the guns with the cocking indicator you can put his bolt lift kit on and the cocking sleeve cap needs to be replaced with the style for the non cocking indicator bolt assemblies. So I think I'm going to go that route and buy the ground bolt heads also.

drybean
04-21-2015, 10:15 PM
After talking to Nat today he said on the guns with the cocking indicator you can put his bolt lift kit on and the cocking sleeve cap needs to be replaced with the style for the non cocking indicator bolt assemblies. So I think I'm going to go that route and buy the ground bolt heads also.

I think you will have to change everything ,except the bolt body an the bolt head

missed
04-21-2015, 11:19 PM
I think you will have to change everything ,except the bolt body an the bolt head
I am going to run my numbers and one of a gun that I think has no cocking indicator through the parts finder tomorrow and start comparing. Hopefully not that many parts....

Mortarman0341
04-23-2015, 03:22 PM
Good thread, tag.

Teslawhiskey
04-24-2015, 12:48 PM
Just an FYI. I just got off the phone with PT&G about this bolt kit, my plan was to order one but unfortunately I was told that these are on hold.

willyg09
04-25-2015, 03:05 PM
Did they mention a date when they would become available again?
I never got a reply to the email I sent last week, and I was looking forward to seeing the custom fluting options they were offering.

Teslawhiskey
04-25-2015, 05:52 PM
They did not give me a date. She actually said all of Nat products are on hold. I did find their fluting options on their web site (I don't remember where exactly) but the pictures were small. Midway is now back ordered with their bolts, I'm considering going with a SSS bolt but I believe they are just fluted stock bolts.