PDA

View Full Version : Skim bedding a Medalist stock

Pages : 1 [2]

Elkbane
05-19-2010, 04:10 PM
That's a different product/packaging than I used - mine came in scew-top tubs. If you mixed to instructions, you should be OK. This is really great bedding material...

You have the action out yet?
Elkbane

MDM
05-19-2010, 04:19 PM
No, just set it in an hour ago. This particular stuff says to wait 6 before handling and 16 hours for a full cure. I'm going to wait to see when the leftover mixture I had hardens up before I pop out the action.

dcloco
05-19-2010, 04:31 PM
No, just set it in an hour ago. This particular stuff says to wait 6 before handling and 16 hours for a full cure. I'm going to wait to see when the leftover mixture I had hardens up before I pop out the action.

I pull mine at the 12 hour mark. Check, then let sit overnight.

MDM
05-20-2010, 06:57 AM
Just pulled the action and I'm happy with my first bedding job. I still need to clean it up a bit. You can see bare metal in the recoil lug are in a coupl of spots. I guess I need to remove some metal there because it was a pretty flush fit. Still plenty of good recoil lug contact.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h270/dm2596/bed2.jpghttp://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h270/dm2596/bed1.jpg

Elkbane
05-20-2010, 08:45 AM
MDM,
That looks fine. Don't worry about the metal peeking through on the rear - the bedding did what you wanted - give a uniform surface mated to the action - you filled up the low spot with bedding.

I usually break the edges and clean up flashing with a dremel and sanding wheel. You can clean up the action screw hole with a drill bit - you want a no-interference fit there. I also usually open up the notch for the recoil lug pin a little just to make sure I don't get an interference there.
Elkbane

DGD6MM
05-20-2010, 08:52 AM
That is a fine job for your first! The next one will more then likely be even better. Good Job.

johnsopa
05-20-2010, 11:39 AM
MDM, nice job for your first go! Don't worry about the bare metal, it should be fine, just as others have said.

A few comments... It looks like there were a few bubbles in the epoxy at the front bedding area. This comes about from stirring the mixture instead of folding and smushing it.

The only thing I would do is run a drill bit (very slow RPMs or even by hand) down through the front action screw hole to clear out the epoxy. Then, sharpen the back of the front bedding area and the front of the rear bedding area with a flat metal file. Push down with the file, then lift and come back up. Don't pull up with the file.

Good job!

MDM
05-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I got it cleaned up nice and everything is back together. I'll be off to the range in the morning and will report on the results.