PDA

View Full Version : Control feed to push feed

Buster95
04-19-2015, 11:07 AM
I have a old model 116 in 300 RUM controlled feed it is possible to change it to a push feed by installing a push feed bolt head? I have to remove the fixed ejector only?

Mach2
04-19-2015, 11:32 AM
I have a old model 116 in 300 RUM controlled feed it is possible to change it to a push feed by installing a push feed bolt head? I have to remove the fixed ejector only?

There are probably several other subtle design aspects than just the bolt head that make up a push feed. Im sure you could do that though. May not feed like a dedicated push feed.
May be different extracters for instance. The mag follower may even be different. Dunno.

geargrinder
04-19-2015, 11:53 AM

Yep, that's all there is to it. Swap in your push feed long action bolt head of choice and remove the standing ejector.

Buster95
04-19-2015, 04:33 PM
Good! Thanks guys ;)

Hotolds442
04-19-2015, 07:10 PM
And check the headspace after changing the bolt head.....

You can reuse your extractor parts, but you'll need to purchase the new ejector parts for the push feed bolt head.
You may not be happy with the way it feeds if it's a stagger feed action, which I'm sure it is if it's controlled round feed.

tammons
04-19-2015, 07:32 PM
I have a control feed magnum that I run with a push feed 473 head at times.

You remove the trigger pin, remove the ejector and its easiest to just have the 2nd bolt head set up with an extractor and of course you need an ejector with all the pins parts and springs for both. +1 on checking the head space.

Just out of curiosity why are you swapping ?
Is it so you can single feed straight into the chamber ?

Buster95
04-20-2015, 09:49 AM
I have a control feed magnum that I run with a push feed 473 head at times.

You remove the trigger pin, remove the ejector and its easiest to just have the 2nd bolt head set up with an extractor and of course you need an ejector with all the pins parts and springs for both. +1 on checking the head space.

Just out of curiosity why are you swapping ?
Is it so you can single feed straight into the chamber ?

I will swap the barrel for a 338 Edge, the rifle will be a single shot so no problem about the staggered feed mag. My bolt head is in perfect condition I just asked this to know if it's feasible in the possibility of bolt face damage like gas blow-by around the primer, popped primer, etc... I'm not sure if controlled feed heads are still available.

tammons
04-20-2015, 09:57 AM
Yes they are...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/848974/savage-arms-bolt-head-long-action-savage-116-right-hand-control-feed-remington-ultra-magnum-and-winchester-short-magnum-wsm?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Buster95
04-20-2015, 01:01 PM
Yes they are...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/848974/savage-arms-bolt-head-long-action-savage-116-right-hand-control-feed-remington-ultra-magnum-and-winchester-short-magnum-wsm?cm_vc=ProductFinding

But not in Canada Midway don't ship here :(

tammons
04-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Does Savage ship there ?

Buster95
04-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Does Savage ship there ?

I think so. And I just checked with my serial number in the Savage part finder and the head is still listed.