PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of using a Axis for a donor action

p-c-j
04-18-2015, 05:22 PM
Been looking for another donor action and find that the old savage and stevens action are harder to come by.So I have been looking towards a Axis receiver .My main concern is there trigger and recoil lug setup.After looking up things here I haven't seen much on the Sharp Shooter Trigger .Has anyone adapted one to a Axis or isn't that possible?
By the way all my Savage's have Boyd stocks definitely the way to go,the last one has a Thumbhole stock.
Also think of looking for a 260 rem factory take off to rechamber to 6.5x284 for a walk around hunting rifle.
Getting to many projects but what the hey!

tammons
04-18-2015, 06:24 PM
The recoil lug is different and in the stock. You can have SSS turn the action so it uses a regular recoil lug.
I think there are a couple of triggers made for it but dont know anything about them.

I dont like the floppy safety setup, IE I like the model 10 tang better.

p-c-j
04-18-2015, 08:19 PM
I have a well equipped shop with lathe and small mill so I like to build my own firearms, that's all part of the fun. I learned long ago the value of picking other people's brain.Since I have never had a Axis apart I'm look for ideas and opinions on what has worked for others.Can't believe I hadn't found this site before.:frusty:
I still have 2 Japanese 99 Arisaka actions for builds, the metric threads add a whole new twist to rebarreling but have been keeping my eye open for another Savage action too.I of course prefer the Savage actions but have learned a lot from the Arisaka's.
So it looks like I will have to eventually give the Axis a try but still wish I could find more older Savage or Stevens actions.

tammons
04-18-2015, 08:31 PM
I have an axis action I am turn into a 223 target rifle. Almost finished.
For now its going into a modified BSA stock and I am keeping the factory recoil lug.

If that does not work out I will change it into a 6.5 creedmor hunting rifle and use a model 10 action for my target rifle.

The part that I dont care for is the Safety and trigger assembly is held in by action screw.

Yes I have been bit by the Mauser bug and built/modified several. 8x57, 9.3x62 and a 6.5x55.
Also set up a K31.

foxx
04-18-2015, 10:16 PM
Sharp Shooter Supply triggers do not work with the Axis. Their Competition trigger is a great trigger, though.

Rifle Basix Sav-1 and TImney are the only aftermarket triggers I am aware of for the Axis.

Rosco
04-18-2015, 10:25 PM
The Axis models have limited aftermarket support not nearly what the 110 Series has, however their is still a lot you can do.

p-c-j
04-18-2015, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the reply's and the info.So by turning down or shortening the action you can use 110 recoil lug.Is the Axis receiver's threaded area longer than a110 ? You will still have enough support for the barrel and chamber?

tammons
04-19-2015, 07:42 AM
From what I understand the cutout recess for the axis lug is in the same position as the factory 10 entire face would be.
That said I dont know much about them so ask SSS, but part of his the axis SSS T+T is to cut it down so it will take a standard recoil lug.
Supposedly when done it will still drop into an axis stock.

http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/savage-edge-rifle-review

p-c-j
04-19-2015, 09:25 AM
Thanks Everyone.
This is a great place.
tammons thanks for the link ,good view of the recoil set up.

devildogandboy
04-19-2015, 10:55 PM
this article on the homepage might interest you as well, it explains about the recoil lug on the axis.
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?197-Savage-Axis-Build-Action-Trigger

Bruce