PDA

View Full Version : Non AccuTrigger to AccuTrigger

Pages : [1] 2

deertroy1
04-17-2015, 03:57 PM
I've read on here where you can not retrofit a non AccuTrigger rifle with an AccuTrigger without a lot of difficulty. I haven't tried it yet but here is a picture of my new Savage M11 non AccuTrigger along side my 10 ML-II with AccuTrigger. I haven't tried swapping them yet but to me it looks like the AccuTrigger should fit right on?

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff382/deertroy1/Project1_zpsdq2wkdig.jpg

Mach2
04-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Found this. Savage must sell the Accutrigger separately. This quote is odd though. Why buy an accu if you already have and accu or why buy one if it wont fit a non accu receiver?

deertroy1
04-17-2015, 04:36 PM
I have one for my ML but not the M11. I won't buy one until I'm sure it actually fits.

Mach2
04-17-2015, 05:28 PM
Wont take you but 20 mins to switch them if that. You could be the one who tells us. The whole trigger assembly comes off in one piece.
I can't find separate Accutriggers for sale. Ill keep looking.
I still think some nonaccus can be converted to Accus. But im sure it is wrong to say any of the older style triggers can be updated. However, if Sav doesn't sell them that answers that question.

Mach2
04-17-2015, 05:36 PM
OK heres the answer from the FAQ on Savages website: NO
https://savagearms.zendesk.com/entries/23583278-Can-I-buy-an-Accutrigger-for-my-firearm-

SUTTERERMAN85
04-17-2015, 05:53 PM
I have 3 flat back 110 actions that I have added accutriggers to. It is not very difficult to do.

Mach2
04-17-2015, 06:55 PM
I have 3 flat back 110 actions that I have added accutriggers to. It is not very difficult to do.

You bought the triggers where?
Did you read the link I posted above?
Savage is saying two things.
1 trigger is available
2 cant retrofit

Sounds like you are saying yea you can buy them but they wont fit your gun.

deertroy1
04-17-2015, 07:12 PM
I think Savage is saying that mostly to discourage Babba from messing with their trigger. There should be a few available as some people dislike them and install after market triggers. Thus the ones they remove could be purchased if those same folks decide to sell them.

jonbearman
04-17-2015, 07:14 PM
Sutterman85 could you elaborate please as I was under the impression it wont or cant work.

SUTTERERMAN85
04-17-2015, 07:21 PM
I bought a few complete accutriggers here and on another forum. All you do is pull the pin, remove the sear and spring. Pull out the old trigger and drill a small hole under the safety to the accutrigger spring. Reassemble in the reverse order. It's no different than putting an aftermarket trigger in minus drilling the small hole. Don't understand why everyone makes it into such a big deal. Might need to do some opening up in the stock and trigger guard if they are from pre accutrigger guns. Hole in the trigger guards from accutrigger guns is larger. Dremel will do this easily.

foxx
04-17-2015, 08:15 PM
^^^^ What he said. I've put them on flat backs and round backs... SF and CF... it can be done. Sometimes it is easy, sometimes it takes some tinkering. I always keep the original safety and bracket, and go from there. Sometimes the 0lder flat backs need a screw in the underside of the safety bar to be adjusted, too. Sometimes I have trouble making them so they can be adjustable, but in that case, I set them where I want them and forget about it. Any Accustrigger (or any other, for that matter) has to be set just above the point (or higher) that they don't go off when closing the bolt, it's just a matter of figuring how how/what it needs to accomplish that.

No, I can't tell you how to do it. Not because I am not willing, I just don't know what to tell you. You gotta be willing to play with it. If you like the safety blade, then it's worth it. If you don't particularly (or ESPECIALLY) like it, there's no point, in my opinion, in trying. There's too many good aftermarket triggers out there for it. Having said that, sometimes the aftermarket triggers need some tinkering, too.

My best advice is study how the three screw triggers work (and the RB Sav-1 or TImney, they are all basically the same) and then study the Accutrigger and the safeties. Once you play around with them and really understand them, they are all pretty good. Also, I have had good luck improving the factory 3 screws and even the Axis triggers. For the Axis I cut coils in the spring, polishing surfaces with emery paper, filing the "step" in the trigger down so as to reduce creep when there's no screw for adjusting it, and tapering/narrowing the sear a bit so there's less surface tension, adding a small flat washer (filed thin and smoothed with emery cloth) to shim the trigger ... If you find the Axis spring was cut too short, simply heat the yellow locktight so as to soften it and twist the spring out a little so it is longer...

So, yes, they can be made to work, and work well. Are they drop-in, easy swaps? No, but it can be done if you take the time to see and understand how the whole mechanism works, including the safety.

Play with them. They can all be made pretty good. But do so at your own risk.

Mach2
04-18-2015, 07:17 AM
So here is the answer: Savage does not sell separate Accutriggers Yes you can buy used Accutriggers from people who removed their Accutrigger in favor or RBs and Timneys. These discarded Accutriggers can be made to fit non Accutrigger Savages with a little tinkering.
Even the old flat top 110s can be made to use an Accutrigger. The tit that stabilzes the spring onto the receiver can be simulated by drilling a hole under the safety.

deertroy1
04-18-2015, 08:06 AM
foxx, what do you mean by: "If you like the safety blade, then it's worth it", in reference to the after market triggers such as the SAV1?

LHitchcox
04-18-2015, 09:17 AM
He is referring to the silver blade on the Accutrigger. Some like it, others hate it.

deertroy1
04-18-2015, 12:32 PM
He is referring to the silver blade on the Accutrigger. Some like it, others hate it.

Of course.......I was just having a stupid moment. Thanks.

Mach2
04-18-2015, 03:36 PM
The safety blade is disliked by some but if you learn to use it you forget it there. Some who hate the Accutrigger wlll pay $200 for a double set trigger for their custom Mauser yet the Accutrigger is a modern updated double set trigger that comes standard on many Savages. Don't judge an Accutrigger by using it once because it takes a few tries for the blade to seemingly disappear.

SUTTERERMAN85
04-18-2015, 05:53 PM
I'll take anyone's accutrigger that doesn't like it.

deertroy1
04-18-2015, 08:05 PM
I'd like one myself, unfortunately most on here are US residents and I'm in Canada!

deertroy1
05-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Got my accutrigger parts today and it's a no-go. First of all the Accutrigger safety will not work because there is an extra groove milled into the receiver of accutrigger models that non-accutrigger receivers do not have. I think I could make the Accutrigger work with the non-Accutrigger safety however. Secondly, the sear on the Accutrigger is different than the sear on non-Accutrigger models. I didn't realize it has a different model number. I think it may work if I ordered the correct sear and sear pin but I've got so much sunk in this now I think I should just quit now and get a Rifle Basix?

foxx
05-22-2015, 09:11 PM
You would need to use the original safety, for sure. Sometimes there is need for tweaking there, too. I would not worry about the sear, the old ones work just fine with the accutrigger.

You could sell it for what you paid for it, no problem.

If you LIKE the safety blade in the accutrigger, and you can tinker with it, I'd say its worth trying. I have success with the same thing. If all you want is a nice crisp, clean, no creap, no overtravel hunting trigger at about 2-4 pounds, I'd say go with the RB Sav-1.

If you need a new home for the Accutrigger...