PDA

View Full Version : Advice on son's first rifle

Pages : [1] 2

MILLERTIME
04-17-2015, 11:54 AM
I am needing advice on purchasing my 10 yo son his first rifle. I'm looking at a new savage model 16 trophy hunter XP in 7mm-08. My questions are can the stock be shortened any, will a youth stock fit this rifle, and what other aftermarket stocks will fit. I've checked on line and it doesn't seem to have many choices for drop in fit stocks. Am I correct in this assumption? Is there any thing else I should be considering? Don't have a ton of cash and would like to keep it in stainless. The trophy hunter XP with Nikon scope was thus attractive at it's price. How good is the stock that comes on it? He may use a biped also. Hope this isn't too much info. Thanks

Mach2
04-17-2015, 12:58 PM
You can even cut down the butt length on a plastic stock. Shorten it 1 1/2". Fill the inside with newspaper and leave the first couple of inches free to fill with a filler hard enough to drill into to hold two screws. Shave the recoil pad to match the stock.You can even cut a wood plug of 1/2" lumber, glue it in and screw on the recoil pad.

7mm-08 and 243 are good calibers for a ten yr old. He wont stay ten for long.

jonbearman
04-17-2015, 01:04 PM
It depends on paper or plastic(wood or polymer) and if it is wood it can be cut down with a chop saw easily and then a new or refitted pad. If it is plastic and you cut it down there may be no way left to attach the recoil pad without some work.

Mach2
04-17-2015, 01:10 PM
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?7308-Stevens-200-stock-shortening&p=55347&viewfull=1#post55347

Here is another way to shorten butt stock on plastic stocks

JW
04-18-2015, 07:54 AM
I would let him try a standard stock and see how he does before cutting one down
If he is like my grandson- next year you will be hunting for a standard length to replace the youth stock
Jack

10gaugemag
04-18-2015, 10:20 AM
Yes a youth stock should interchange fine, actions are the same just stock length and maybe barrel length/contour would be different from youth/standard guns. If going with the 7-08 you may want to look into reduced recoil loads or mild handloads as well, the ones I have owned seem to recoil about as much as any 270 with standard loads. If it were me a look at the 6.5 Creedmoor would be worth while, low recoil and awesome ballistics.

RatMag
04-18-2015, 12:25 PM
Don't throw out the idea of the .243 Win. That is an awesome caliber, great ballistics, very low recoil impulse, super easy to load for, tons of powder and projectile combinations, and very readily available off the shelf ammo for anything you want to shoot.

It just plain works...

DK

tammons
04-18-2015, 01:55 PM
+1 on 6.5 or 260.

barrel-nut
04-18-2015, 05:32 PM
In my opinion, the 7-08's recoil is so similar to the .308 as to be indistinguishable. I'd get the kid a .308 AND some good quality hearing protection- plugs and muffs. I've said it on here many times and I think it's worth repeating- protect the kid's hearing, and he'll be a better shooter and true recoil will not be nearly as big of an issue. Plus he won't end up like most of us with continual ringing in his ears as an adult. Good luck

Newsshooter
04-18-2015, 05:53 PM
6.5 CM will have less recoil than the .308 and has better ballistics as well. Ammo is generally cheaper too.

darter
04-18-2015, 06:24 PM
The model 16 xp would fine. Your stock options will be good for the Savage. Boyd's makes a good laminate stock and SS supply makes some. The 16XP is a package rifle but you could call Savage and inquire about a youth stock for it or just cut the original stock down and replace when it is time with a better one. All factory injection molded stocks are funky anyway and subject to an upgrade.

The 7-08 is a good caliber. It does well with 120gr and 140 gr.bullets. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a great one as well. Hornady sells match grade ammo for it cheaper than you can get for the .308. The little Creedmoor is competing well at long range matches and the Scandinavians have been killing Elk and all sorts of large game with the 6.5x55 for many years. The Creedmoor is just the American version in a little shorter package. Ballistics are very close.

Good Luck,

Joe

10gaugemag
04-18-2015, 08:17 PM
Don't throw out the idea of the .243 Win. That is an awesome caliber, great ballistics, very low recoil impulse, super easy to load for, tons of powder and projectile combinations, and very readily available off the shelf ammo for anything you want to shoot.

It just plain works...

DK

I like the 243 as well and have killed a monster amount of deer with it but with the Creedmoor you can get a 100 grain Partition or work up to a 140 or so and hammer elk and other large game with it. Kind of an all around rig, even load 85 grainers for 'yotes and the like.

MILLERTIME
04-18-2015, 08:53 PM
Thanks all for the info. 6.5 or 7mm.....I had looked at both and thought 7mm08 for its greater mass at target is a little better. This will be a rifle that will last him a long time. Looks like I need to revisit that again. I am thinking if need be cut the synthetic stock and replace it in a year or 2 with a nice aftermarket stock. It may be workable as is once we get redy shoot. Keep the ideas coming I'll listen to all opinions. Thanks again

tammons
04-18-2015, 09:03 PM
Will chime in again.
Since he is 10 would suggest a low recoiling round so he doesnt develop a flinch.
223 (if allowed) and 243 are both good but 6.5 is better if shot placement is not perfect.

That said as far as stock and caliber its a Savage and you/he can swap it to whatever you want later
as he grows.

If you want to set him up with a bullet that will drop a deer, load some cutting edge bullets.

Doon
04-18-2015, 11:42 PM
How about a 6.5 Grendel,
have just put one together for my 11 yer old son base on the zastava mini Mauser action and about to build one for myself on a left hand model 11.

Lorenzo
04-19-2015, 01:27 AM
7mm seems kinda big for anybody's first gun. If the main use is hunting I suppose there's nothing wrong with getting used to it. Like others have said .243 is great round, .270 will definitely get the job done and there's nothing wrong with good ole .308. Id say take him to the store, handle some guns and see whats comfortable. I've shot youth models that I have liked quite a bit and IM 6'4". As far as ammo goes .308 is usually the most available and reasonably priced but all the rounds mentions are close in price, depending on brand/load. If you want a big cal I would take the 7mm over the 30-06 any day. The axis xp IIs seem really nice as do the regular axis for a budget gun. Also look at the trophy hunters as well like you are.

Lorenzo
04-19-2015, 01:36 AM
In my opinion, the 7-08's recoil is so similar to the .308 as to be indistinguishable. I'd get the kid a .308 AND some good quality hearing protection- plugs and muffs. I've said it on here many times and I think it's worth repeating- protect the kid's hearing, and he'll be a better shooter and true recoil will not be nearly as big of an issue. Plus he won't end up like most of us with continual ringing in his ears as an adult. Good luck
+1 on the hearing proctection. Super important if you care about your hearing anyways.

thomae
04-19-2015, 07:44 AM
Lots of good advice...which just makes the decision harder:cool:
Although it didn't start out that way, this has morphed into a "help me decide" type of thread, so I am moving it accordingly.
Best of luck to the OP and his grandson.

rphguy
04-19-2015, 08:28 AM
My daughter was shooting a 7-08 by age 10. She was a skinny little girl the weight of a feather.
She did awesome. was never scared of it. And, she is still shooting that rifle today.
You never "outgrow" the 7-08 caliber, but your son will likely outgrow a shortened stock.
(my wife, daughter, and I shoot 7-08. At 16, my son thought he outgrew it and wanted my 270 BAR)

I would take him to try out and hold some youth model rifles and cut this stock to fit him.
Later, you can buy a replacement full length stock to put back on.
This way you get the short stock you want without extra money while your money is tight and
defer the stock cost for 4 or 5 years when money isn't as tight.

tammons
04-19-2015, 08:31 AM
Okay, Here you go - This would be the perfect deer rifle for a young fellow that age and maybe me too.
Little to no recoil, like 5#, and almost runs at the level of a 6.8 SPC but uses a 223 bolt head and a 223 magazine.

.277 Wolverine.
You can find info on it over at Arfcom.

These guys will have savage barrels soon.
http://www.maddogweapons.com/277-wolverine.html

You can get formed brass 250pcs for $45 and ammo here.
http://www.jbsfirearms.com/category-s/1831.htm
http://www.jbsfirearms.com/category-s/1818.htm

Load up some 95 gr TTSX bullets and you are good to go.
Factory 95 gr TTSX load above runs 2575 out of a 16" bbl. With a 20" bbl you should get another 100 FPS.
Thats GTG out to 300 yards. Zero at 200 yards, max ht 2.1", 300 yards 9" low, 850 FPE and 2010 FPS at 300 yards.

We have a 6.8 SPC mini 14 and I load it with 95 gr TTSX bullets and 82 gr Cutting edge bullets and they are real game whackers.
Especially with the cutting edge bullets never have had a deer run more than about 10 yards before it keeled over.

I have almost talked myself into one, LOL.

Go about 1/3rd way down the page for a savage rifle in this caliber.
They are getting about 2750 with 100 gr Accubonds.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/636402__277_Wolverine.html&page=17