PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Question

deertroy1
04-16-2015, 08:40 PM
I have a Savage M11 Hunter XP non Accu-trigger. I read where people cut small amounts off of the coil of the trigger spring to reduce pull weight. My trigger spring ends in a small tit that engages a tiny hole in the receiver to hold it in place. If I were to cut any off of the spring what would hold it in place? Am I missing something or are they talking about a different trigger?
Also, can this trigger be replaced with the Savage Accu-trigger?

darkker
04-16-2015, 09:20 PM
The pull weight spring is a flat piano wire affair.
To make the accu-trigger work there is some machine work to be done on the receiver, in the safety area.

drybean
04-16-2015, 11:44 PM
Gun Shack sells the trigger spring that you are looking for
yes you can replace it with a accutrigger
best bet is with a RB sav1 trigger

deertroy1
04-17-2015, 04:52 AM
Yes, the spring pictured on Gun Shacks website looks like mine. However, it says it's for an Accu-trigger. Also, they won't ship to Canada.

deertroy1
04-17-2015, 04:56 AM
The pull weight spring is a flat piano wire affair.

Not sure I understand. My trigger looks exactly like this. However, my rifle is a new Hunter XP. According to this (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?22225-Stevens-200-trigger) post the SAV 1 trigger will not fit?

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff382/deertroy1/DSCF4639_zpsy0tdzkn9.jpg

Mach2
04-17-2015, 08:25 AM
I have a Savage M11 Hunter XP non Accu-trigger. I read where people cut small amounts off of the coil of the trigger spring to reduce pull weight. My trigger spring ends in a small tit that engages a tiny hole in the receiver to hold it in place. If I were to cut any off of the spring what would hold it in place? Am I missing something or are they talking about a different trigger?
Also, can this trigger be replaced with the Savage Accu-trigger?

When I need a spring I tear apart a cigarette lighter. Most have four tiny springs in them. I try them in triggers and cut them first before I cut the original spring. The little tit at the end can be made by using need nose pliars. Then dremel it down to the perfect height. But heck I'll cut it too.
However your rifle has a straight spring not a coil spring.this is what darkker is talking about.
savage doesn't sell individual Accutriggers. If they did Remington would buy them all and put them in their guns.
Get a RifleBasix if you want a trigger. $100
Have you done a trigger job before? If not Id get a RB trigger. Rimfires are where to start in learning how to do a trigger job.

deertroy1
04-17-2015, 08:28 AM
Will the Accu-trigger fit? The parts are listed on their site?

Mach2
04-17-2015, 10:00 AM
Not sure I understand. My trigger looks exactly like this. However, my rifle is a new Hunter XP. According to this (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?22225-Stevens-200-trigger) post the SAV 1 trigger will not fit?

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff382/deertroy1/DSCF4639_zpsy0tdzkn9.jpg

OK I see what you have. Yea that spring runs the trig pull weight. You are talking about a job that cost zero. Try different springs. Cut that spring down etc. You need a trigger pull gauge too if you want to be able to know the pull. Triggers are easy to do. Get a spring gauge. You can weigh small fish with it like Bream. Keep it in your tackle box.

deertroy1
04-17-2015, 01:13 PM
I have a trigger pull scale. I was just wondering what keeps the spring in place at the top once the small tit is removed?

Mach2
04-17-2015, 01:19 PM
I have a trigger pull scale. I was just wondering what keeps the spring in place at the top once the small tit is removed?

You can make a dog leg bend after you cut it using plyers. Yea you gotta made a new tit. Can you cut the end that isn't titted? Don't forget cig lighters have springs like that in them.

thomae
04-19-2015, 07:57 AM
My recollection (and I could be wrong - con't have a trigger handy to pull apart and look at) is that the hole in the trigger is threaded to a standard SAE machine screw thread. If it is, one can insert an appropriately sized metal or nylon screw with locktite and then cut off the head (or leave it on the bottom), leaving you with a "stud" that will go inside the coil spring and retain it.

deertroy1
04-19-2015, 08:59 AM
Thomae, that's exactly what I did. The head can remain although depending on the size of the head you may have to file it down just a bit as well as take just a little off of the stock inletting directly above the rear trigger guard screw.