PDA

View Full Version : Mount options LA

10gaugemag
04-16-2015, 06:28 PM
I purchased a Long Range Hunter a while back and am still looking at mount options for the gun. Currently the gun has Leupy reversible rear/standard front bases and Burris Signature rings. As we all know even with the reversible rear the rings are spaced out pretty good and the scope cannot be slid back much at all. I am looking for a different set up so scope selection is not so critical dependent upon the rings being spaced as much as they are, 9x or 12x maximum I will run. I have considered Weaver Grand Slam bases with reversible front as well as a 1 piece Weaver style base. Any advice or pics of what you are running would greatly be appreciated.

olddav
04-16-2015, 11:17 PM
I have installed a Weaver one piece base and an EGW one piece base. Both will allow you to move the scope closer to the eye. The Weaver cost less, allows the scope to sit lower but has less clearance when loading the rifle from the top. The EGW does cost more, the scope sits higher but has more clearance when loading the rifle from the top. If your rifle loads from the bottom with a magazine I would pick the Weaver. I am currently building a cheek rest for my rifle (factory stock) because the EGW's height makes it awkward to shoot. But that's just my experiences.

10gaugemag
04-18-2015, 04:50 PM
I have installed a Weaver one piece base and an EGW one piece base. Both will allow you to move the scope closer to the eye. The Weaver cost less, allows the scope to sit lower but has less clearance when loading the rifle from the top. The EGW does cost more, the scope sits higher but has more clearance when loading the rifle from the top. If your rifle loads from the bottom with a magazine I would pick the Weaver. I am currently building a cheek rest for my rifle (factory stock) because the EGW's height makes it awkward to shoot. But that's just my experiences.
Adjustable comb so no problems with scope height but yes magazine does load from the top. Still looking and found that Burris builds a 2 piece all steel Weaver style base that may work, looks like you can reverse both bases if needed to really set things back.

mtlivin
04-18-2015, 11:59 PM
I'm a big fan of the Talley lightweight rings, they are a base and ring all in 1. No rail over the action to mess with when loading and these have held up great on a 300 mag, all the Gunwerks guys run em too so that tells you something.

10gaugemag
04-25-2015, 10:52 AM
Anybody else?

fgw_in_fla
04-25-2015, 11:32 AM
EGW here.
Vortex scopes are pretty stingy with the eye relief. In fact, yesterday I got "scope eyed" with my beloved '06.

EGW base is nice but it hinders loading since it covers the top of the receiver right where I have to jam the cartridges down into the magazine.
I like stout rings, too.
Like these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1477211361/weaver-tactical-4-hole-skeleton-weaver-style-rings-matte
I use the 6 screw for the heavy hitters which, by the way, are a pain in the hiney because of all the screws holding the ring tight.

jpdown
04-25-2015, 03:40 PM
I use the 2-piece, steel Weaver Grand Slam bases (S46, S402) or Burris Xtreme Tactical bases and Burris Signature Zee rings on all my Savage LA and SA rifles. This avoids top loading and ring alignment issues and allows one to use the Burris inserts to optically center the reticle without using up windage and elevation adjustments. The other 2-piece bases I've tried on a Savage LA don't allow me enough rearward movement with short tubed compact or lower variable power scopes for proper eye relief. The picture below shows a Savage LA with the Weaver GS bases, Burris Signature Zee rings and a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm scope as an example. As you can see, I can't move the scope back any more. That's why you may have to end up using a 1-piece rail with a Savage LA.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0023_zps4459675c.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/jpdown/media/PICT0023_zps4459675c.jpg.html)

yobuck
04-25-2015, 05:29 PM
You can get an offset front ring for the old style Redfield/Leupold 2 pc bases.
That allows for moving shorter scopes further back. I use one on a long action savage
with a vx 2 3x9 scope. It would also work with that type one pc base.
These are the ones having windage adjustment on the rear mount and the front ring pivots into position.