PDA

View Full Version : Lefty Custom Savage

ChuckB
04-16-2015, 06:00 PM
I'm a lefthanded shooter trying to put together a high-power silhouette rifle based on a Savage action. After what has been a real roller coaster ride of gun shop visits, internet searches, emails, and phone calls, I have found myself at the Custom Rifle Shop. Much of the rifle is decided: chrome moly, model 12 action, 24" varmint contour, 7mm-08. Problem is which stock to choose. Not all stock options are suitable for a lefthanded action, so my choice is limited, and I'm narrowed down to either the laminated BVSS style stock or the HS Precision from the Model 10 FCP with detachable box.

Will the BVSS stock be too heavy for off-hand shooting? Can it be lightened? Is the HS significantly lighter? ...$300 worth of extra lighter?
Any possible balance issues with either stock?

missed
04-16-2015, 07:12 PM
I am a lefty also.

Where my rifles have ended up, I wish I would have just bought the cheapest factory savage I could get, part it out and build it the way I wanted it from the beginning.

Luckily any of the stocks can have the bolt handle cut on the correct side, Choate and Boyd's both have lefty stocks available. I almost bought a BVSS stock but wanted the steeper grip, and all my guns are drop boxes. and I thought the BVSS was not a DBM model when I looked.

ChuckB
04-16-2015, 10:34 PM
missed, thanks for the advice. BVSS is blind box, (should have put a comma there in my original thread...). I have checked those websites previously, just checked again; the lefthand stocks by Choate are the Tactical, Sniper, and Varmint. Those tactical style stocks just won't work, I need something, at least sporter-ish, for the silhouette course. As for Boyds, or Stocky's, or MicroFit, I was put-off by less-than-admirable reviews, that and the fact that I could never find a lefty with a varmint barrel channel. Apparently, McMillan will stock anything for $600 and six months, and Kevin at Stockade was very helpful, and reasonably priced, but again I don't want to wait twenty-some weeks.

missed
04-16-2015, 10:49 PM
I have a Tacticool/varmint pro. I'm happy with it. The one problem I had with it is not really Boyds fault, not enough material between the mag frame and action and it kept cracking at the action screw pillars.

Widening out to a varmint contour is not a bad job. PVC pipe with sand paper glued on it if you don't want to buy a channel profiler. Silhouette looks like fun I have been meaning to go try it. Only thing that is local to me is shot guns, short range, tactical rifle and 3 gun. Those tactical rifle guys are way way more serious than I am. I don't blame you on the lead times! There is a Canadian company that is advertising on accurate shooter, since there dollar is so much lower than ours now it's a big savings. I thought they said there running 4 weeks out. I'm blanking on the name I thought it was a three letter initials.