PDA

View Full Version : 308 Mags Suck

MoToad
04-16-2015, 12:50 AM
I'm sure there's gotta be guys out there having as much trouble with these as I am. My first was broken out of the box. The replacement had one of the three bottom tabs broken (back one). I bought another one and have since glued the bottoms in. The rear metal tabs at the top don't grab the ledge up in there and hang out just enough that the bolt doesn't catch the shell for loading. I've bent the tabs out a bit but they just bend back. An attempt to try an bend out the top bent over part so it could grab the ledge better failed with it snapping off. I have to have my finger pressing up on the rear of the mag for it to pick up the bullet.
I sure hope savage is aware of this and is coming up with a solution. I did notice these mags seem to all be on back order now everywhere so maybe they are working on a fix.

fgw_in_fla
04-16-2015, 06:48 AM
I don't recall ever having any trouble to speak of with any of my Axis magazines. Even with them extended to 10 rounds.

I think the Axis magazine gods are angry with you for some reason.
What stock are you using?
Boyd's or factory flex-O-matic?

MoToad
04-16-2015, 10:35 AM
The rifle is the new Axis in stainless. Stock factory. The stock is fine. It's the way the mag fastens at the rear. Had a thought and the next thing I will try is to extend the edge of the bent over piece by adding a piece top the outside. So, in effect it will hold the ledge better.

DrThunder88
04-16-2015, 10:48 AM
I've also not had any problems with the mags apart from not caring for their chintzy design, and I've used sizes from .223 Rem to .300 Win Mag. That's not to say that there couldn't be a bad batch, and I'm sorry to hear that you have had such a bad experience with them. You're not the first in that regard, and the magazines seem to be available in fits and spurts, so I suspect a recall or redesign is unlikely. While most people would likely agree that the mags are not ready for prime time, I'd have at least said they were ready for early fringe.

fgw_in_fla
04-16-2015, 12:18 PM
The rifle is the new Axis in stainless. Stock factory. The stock is fine. It's the way the mag fastens at the rear. Had a thought and the next thing I will try is to extend the edge of the bent over piece by adding a piece top the outside. So, in effect it will hold the ledge better.

Actually, the stock could be part of the problem since the hook thingie grabs the plastic part of the trigger guard. Have you considered taking the trigger guard off and have a look see at where the magazine grabs it? It's probably easier to "adjust" the plastic stock then extend the steel magazine.
Worth a shot before traumatizing a magazine.

MoToad
04-17-2015, 12:13 AM
Been there, done that. The ledge is a sharp 90 degree cut. Can't really be improved on. It's that pesky tab that is causing the problem. Let u know if my "fix " works.
I actually posted a pic of it on page 2 under the loose mag thread. You can see the u shaped tang. If that could just be bent out an eighth inch I think the problem would be solved. But I tried that and it broke very easily.

MoToad
04-25-2015, 02:13 PM
Update: I have glues a 3/16 x 5/16 dime thickness piece of metal to the bent over tab on both my mags. It now provides over two times the thickness that sits up on the shelf. Doesn't interfere with the bolt and shells load normally. Going to the range will be the big test. Thinking about it, I can see how the 308s kick could jar the factory tang off the shelf, if you will. Hope this is a fix.

devildogandboy
04-26-2015, 07:20 PM
never had any problems with my mags either. my edge(axis) was a 308 when i got it and now is 7-08. as long as i push back end up first before snapping the front in, no problems. functions fine and does it's job. good luck with your mod.

Bruce

HollisterBulldawg
05-13-2015, 02:15 PM
I don't know...I bought 12 of the Savage 4-round magazines and they all work fine. Has anyone used had their magazines converted to 10-rounds by Snyder?

MoToad
05-16-2015, 08:12 PM
Yep. I was careful inserting it. The glued on tab has fixed the problem on both my mags. I know I was not alone here. Perhaps there was a run of bad ones.